The Lovely Hubby’s Birthday

February 15, 2013

Hot on the heels of his mum’s birthday, comes the ‘special day’ of Mr Fix it himself!

Now, I always find grown up boys quite hard to buy for. Especially if you want to avoid the boring DVDs, CDs (gosh, I am old-fashioned…) etc. And all the kind of novelty gimmicky crap delights that seem to largely be aimed at this gadget loving demographic.

And I had my work cut out this year, as the lovely hubby pulled a blinder for my birthday, organising the rest of the family into helping fund my amazing day of Bread Making at River Cottage.

I had some bits and pieces left over from Christmas, when I decided that his presents were looking a little ‘book heavy’, so I duly wrapped these up for him.

And then I was a bit stumped.

I scratched my head and thought for a long while before coming up with what I hope is a great present…

Tickets for us all to go to the Goodwood Revival!

goodwood-revival

The tickets are a bit pricey, but I mentioned it to my parents, and they were struggling themselves to think of a pressie idea, so they were happy to contribute!

Hubby is a massive bit of a car geek, and is the proud owner of a 1977 Dolomite Triumph, which is his pride and joy.

It even came to our wedding..!

It even came to our wedding..!

He has been to ‘normal’ Goodwood before, and he LOVED it, but I’m afraid it really is not my cup of tea. BUT I do have a soft spot for vintage cars (and a not very secret yearning for a Morris Minor) and if you combine cars with a spot of vintage, then it will be a much more pleasurable experience (there may even be the chance for a spot of vintage shopping whilst the boys look at the cars…)

We can take the Smalls with us, for free, and being small boys, they will undoubtedly find this all very exciting.

Now, I know that this is in no way Make Do and Mend, and not even  really a particularly sustainable choice of days out, but surely it is better than buying yet more ‘stuff’ that he has no real need for, and that will just clutter up the house before eventually making it’s way to landfill? I was so chuffed with my day at River Cottage, and remarked at the time, how much nicer it was to be given an ‘experience’ than a ‘thing’, and hopefully hubby will feel the same too.

Oh, and I also patched his jeans and wrapped them up for him. What a lucky boy….!

• Reply Pop, pop, popping… | My Make Do and Mend Year February 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm

[…] it really isn’t, it just means a boy film, and not a rom-com..) last weekend, seeing as how his birthday evening was slightly scuppered by having to tidy the house (long story) and then not having time to […]

• Reply Janet February 20, 2013 at 8:12 am

You will LOVE Goodwood Revival! We have been a couple of times and I’m really tempted to get tickets again for this year. Look forward to reading all about your plans for outfits.

• Reply Jen February 20, 2013 at 8:56 am

I had kind of blocked out the whole outfits thing…! Haven’t broached it with hubby yet-not sure he’ll be very keen. I will work on it 🙂

• Reply jandouglan February 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm

What a great idea! I don’t buy any new clothes other than undies. I think I’ll try to extend that to other things.

• Reply Jen February 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Yay! Let me know how you get on 🙂

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo February 16, 2013 at 9:25 am

Brillliant idea and it will be a family experience to treasure, much better that the usual ‘tat’ that is forgotten about as soon as it outlives its usefulness. Well done. :o)

• Reply Jen February 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Thanks Jo 🙂

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) February 15, 2013 at 11:27 pm

My Father-in-Law had a brown Triumph Dolomite with a vinyl roof ! Goodwood Revival sounds like great idea ! I got year membership to Knowsley Safari Park for all my extended family for Xmas they love it…. I even treated myself so I can go with them ! Saves more “stuff”, no batteries required & saved wrapping paper too !

• Reply Jen February 16, 2013 at 9:19 am

What a lovely idea Vivienne! A whole year of great days out 🙂

• Reply thefearsefamily February 15, 2013 at 8:52 pm

This is something we really hope will be a side product of buying nothing new this year – more experiences. Well done on coming up with an experience you can all share to celebrate Mr Fit it’s birthday. I am working towards a similar birthday present for Big Poppa Fearse – maybe tickets to a comedy show, which is one of his great loves.

• Reply Jen February 15, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Sounds like a good plan. Experiences, especially shared ones, are way better than gifts. Or at least that’s what I think anyway! Good luck with your year 🙂

• Reply Ellie February 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Good present choosing! Both hubby and I have our Birthdays in Jan and Feb – grumpily close to the pres-fest of Christmas so this year we decided to have an ‘experience’ rather than any more stuff to try we don’t need, trying to cram into our home! We asked for parents contributions to a night away in Bath: spa, cinema and supper out. Truly relaxing and worth so much more than more smellies or yet another jumper!

• Reply Jen February 15, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Couldn’t agree more! Wow, a night away *dreams*. And a spa *more dreaming!*. Hope you had a fab time 🙂