The wonderful world of Sugru

March 2, 2013

Right at the very start of My Make Do and Mend Year, I was introduced to Sugru.

What is Sugru..?

Well, this is what the website says: “sugru is the new self-setting rubber for fixing, modifying and improving your stuff. Over 216.000 people in 133 countries are using it to make their stuff work better.” And their tagline is “The future needs fixing”… And it all started as one woman’s dream to create something that would allow people to ‘hack things better’. How could we not have a go..?!

So, I duly purchased some (it is within the rules to buy things needed for fixing things), and gleefully showed it to Mr Fix-it. Mr Fix-it was a little dubious (if I was being unkind I would say that this was because it was not his discovery/idea, but I am not, so I won’t..) but after much nagging discussion, he agreed to give it a go.

The first thing he tried it on was a broken knob on our Kitchen Aid. And it worked very well.

Such a great fix, it's almost invisible!

Such a great fix, it’s almost invisible!

The second thing he tried it was the handles of SmallSmall’s doidy cup, and it worked less well. Actually not at all.

sugru21

I e-mailed the lovely people at Sugru, and they said that it may have been the wrong type of plastic. Different types of plastic confuse me. A LOT. And I am not really sure how you know what type of plastic something is made from.

But I remained undeterred and continued to nag encourage hubby to have another go.

And to his credit he has. It has been used to help to fix our laundry basket

Washing basket31

And the latest fixes are:

Our jug, which had a small crack at the bottom for ages, but remained watertight until about a week ago, when it started leaking. So I gently suggested to hubby that this might be a good opportunity to try with some Sugru (it was that or throw it out). as it is supposed to be waterproof once it has dried. So a small ‘smee’ was applied to the cracked area. And it worked-leak free gravy was made!

flannels and fixes5

And it has also been tested out on some pieces of wooden railway belonging to the Smalls, to re-make the broken ‘knobbles’

flannels and fixes4

flannels and fixes6

Here it is 'in-situ'..

Here it is ‘in-situ’..

• Reply Lovely Hubby Guest Post… | My Make Do and Mend Year August 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm

[…] Sugru is just magic! I’m not sure we would have discovered it without MMDAMY. Now if I can just find the best way to store an open packet without the edges going off I’d be a very happy man. […]

• Reply The Repair Cafe! | Make It Better... June 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm

[…] of things we have fixed with Sugru, to give people some idea of what it can do. We had some wooden railway with a new sugru ‘knobble’ on one end, hubby’s coat that he had made a new zip pull for, our very visibly mended fish salt pig […]

• Reply Warminster’s Repair Cafe | My Make Do and Mend Year June 3, 2013 at 6:02 pm

[…] of things we have fixed with Sugru, to give people some idea of what it can do. We had some wooden railway with a new sugru ‘knobble’ on one end, hubby’s coat that he had made a new zip pull for, our very visibly mended fish salt pig […]

• Reply Slippers and Sugru | My Make Do and Mend Year March 28, 2013 at 7:02 pm

[…] these situations-I showed them to hubby and asked him to fix them, politely hinting that I thought Sugru would do the job very well […]

• Reply Halfway…. | My Make Do and Mend Year March 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm

[…] idea what they are all for, but apparently they are all Very Important. Oh, and get yourself some Sugru. 5. There are lots of websites now dedicated to giving away stuff-that’s right-stuff for […]

• Reply Stephanie Hardaway (@GranolaStef) March 3, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Wow! I need to get some of this stuff.

• Reply Jen March 3, 2013 at 5:03 pm

It’s awesome! Let me know if you get some 🙂

• Reply elliesmummy March 3, 2013 at 8:57 am

You need to negotiate a commission. I just bought some! 🙂

• Reply Jen March 3, 2013 at 9:35 am

That would be nice wouldn’t it! If you keep it in the fridge it will keep for up to 18 months. Hubby says to make sure you tape up opened packets well. Let me know how you get on-have you got a project planned?

• Reply Jen Walshaw (@Mum_TheMadHouse) March 2, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Oh I never heard of it. Is it expensive?

• Reply Jen March 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm

It is quite pricey, but a little goes a long way. You can get it on Amazon, or direct from Sugru (https://sugru.com)

• Reply Hazel March 2, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Intriguing- I’ve never heard of it. Mostly Gaffer tape, superglue and Copydex here. Will look out for it. (Sadly days of mending train track are over 🙁 )

• Reply Jen March 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm

It is crazy stuff! Check out their website for all the awesome fixes that people have done 🙂

• Reply knittymummy March 2, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I need to get some of that – we’ve got the same problem on the train tracks.

• Reply Jen March 2, 2013 at 7:17 pm