...Food and Recipes, General ramblings

Cheesy feet…

March 17, 2013

This is my all time favourite snack recipe for the Smalls (although it makes for a pretty yummy Big snack too).

It has the bonus of being packaging free-very important when you are Watching your Waste

AND I know exactly what is in it-no danger of any stray horses sneaking in here…

It is from the lovely Nigella (Lawson), and her fantastic Feast book.

cheesy feetThis is what you need:

• 100g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated-I use mature cheddar, but we do like strong cheese in our house!
  • 50g plain flour
  • 25g soft butter
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • cookie cutter-preferably in the shape of a foot, to make ‘cheesy feet’, get it?!
  • baking sheet

This is what you do:

• Put all the ingredients in a magi-mix type processor and whiz
  • Keep whizzing. Don’t lose the faith, it WILL come together
  • When it all starts to whiz around in a big ball, stop, take it out, and roll it into a ball. Then flatten it into more of a disc shape, and wrap it in cling film, or put into a sandwich bag (which you can then re-use!) and place in the fridge for at least an hour (I have been known to leave it overnight or even longer if I run out of time to roll them out-if you do this, then it is worth getting them out half an hour before you want to roll, otherwise it will be hard work!)
  • When you are ‘ready to roll’, pre-heat your oven to 170C and line 2 baking trays-I use reusable silicon type liners, or you could of course use greaseproof
  • Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it’s about 0.5 thick
  • Use your cookie cutter to cut out your biscuits-I get about 10 from this amount of mix, but obviously it depends on the size of your cutter
  • Bake for 8-10mins. I do mine for about 8mins-keep an eye on them, they can go from ‘golden’ to ‘brown’ in an instant!

I make a double batch of these at alarmingly regular intervals, and then freeze them. I can then just grab a couple (or 3 or 4..) out of the freezer in the morning, and have readymade, wholesome (ok, so I’m sure these aren’t the healthiest of snacks with all that cheese in, but it’s got to be better than a packet of crisps, right?), delicious snacks at hand..! And no nasty, non-recyclable packets to throw away 🙂

cheesy-feet22

• Reply Now we are six | My Make Do and Mend Year October 9, 2014 at 6:00 am

[…] were: mini pizzas; cheesy stars (using the cheesy feet recipe); mini sausages; wookie cookies (crispy cakes with mini marshmallow eyes); veg sticks; grapes; […]

• Reply The Great Energy Race Bake Off | My Make Do and Mend Year March 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

[…] then re-using the bowl without washing up (e.g. you could do a batch of plain biscuits, followed by cheesy feet, without causing too much […]

• Reply Cheese twigs | My Make Do and Mend Year August 4, 2013 at 7:03 pm

[…] fancied a change from the Cheesy Feet I feel like I make every week, as snacks for the Smalls, and saw this recipe in the Hungry? book […]

• Reply Live Below The Line-Prep | My Make Do and Mend Year April 28, 2013 at 8:00 pm

[…] am a bit worried about snacks for the Smalls, as I usually have a stash of cheesy feet and hot cross buns in the freezer to grab when we are going out. I found this great recipe for […]

• Reply SarahN March 18, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Love anything with cheese – though my cheese still comes with packaging. I’ll admit that I HATE grating (why I bought a food processor), but I still buy ready grated cheese, and it comes in a plastic bag – which kills my zero waste goals! Suggestions? Experiences? (I don’t have a deli or similar in my local, walk to shops… does that sound like an excuse… it’s not… I promise!)

• Reply Jen March 18, 2013 at 9:40 pm

If you use a standy up grater (box grater?) on the coarse bit (bog holes) it takes less than a minute to grate 200g cheese! If you buy it from the deli counter in the supermarket they might put it in a tupperware box for you, or failing that, it is usually wrapped in stretchy plastic that can be recycled at the supermarket with the carrier bags.
      Hope that helps!

• Reply Anna March 18, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Yum, going to give these a go. We recently acquired a bargain basement food mixer and havent used it much. This will be perfect to try it out – may have to free-hand cutting out feet!!

• Reply Jen March 18, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Free-hand feet-loving it! Or you could do hans and use your own hand for a template (not going to even suggest this for feet…)

• Reply Hazel March 18, 2013 at 7:05 am

I love these, and I think the fact they’re cheesy feet is far more amusing than my children do! Hadn’t tried freezing them though- good idea for packed lunches.

I thought of you the other day- a woman on TV (?Super Scrimpers) made TexMex popcorn- finely grate 2 limes and put in pestle and mortar and pound together with some salt, chilli powder and garlic salt and sprinkle over popcorn. The end of a rolling pin in a bowl would work if you don’t have a pestle and mortar. I think that would go well with a cold beer or 2…

• Reply Jen March 18, 2013 at 8:35 am

I think it is the fact that they are feet that makes it for me too!
      Tex Mex Popcorn sounds great-as you say, I think a nice cold beer would be obligatory..!

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) March 18, 2013 at 3:24 am

I’m going to have to look for a foot shaped cutter … other cheesy shapes just won’t taste the same to my Grandson !

• Reply Jen March 18, 2013 at 8:36 am

Get searching Vivienne 🙂

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) March 21, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Couldn’t find a foot shaped cutter … but did find a mega dinosaur one which cuts dough into jigsaw type pieces with a mini dinosaur in the middle only 99p !

• Reply Jen March 21, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Sounds fab! Won’t tell the Smalls-they will want me to try and track one down 🙂

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo March 17, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Yay, love love love cheesey feet :o)

• Reply Jen March 18, 2013 at 8:34 am

Thanks Jo!

• Reply nicola baird March 17, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Lovely idea. may just borrow. Nicola http://homemadekids.wordpress.com

• Reply Jen March 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm