...Food and Recipes, General ramblings

Waste not, want not-recipe ideas #4

March 22, 2013

It might be the end of the Waste Watcher’s campaign, but it certainly doesn’t mean the end of (banging on about) Waste Watching….!

You may have forgotten about my little Waste not, want not series, as it’s been a while since I posted on it, but things have been kind of busy, and in order to keep you all abreast of all that has been going on (saving the world, patching jeans, again, and the like..) I have neglected this poor series. So back to business, and here is the latest in the collection of posts concentrating on how to make sure you use up all the food you have spent your hard earned pennies on! The original post is here, and then there were posts on omlettes and frittatas, soup and risotto.

Today, it’s all about…

Quiche

I used to hate quiche when I was younger-I remember gagging on it in that lovely way that children do when they are forced to eat something they dislike!

But homemade quiche is a completely different kettle of fish to insipid, runny shop bought affairs, and I would encourage any quiche-haters to give it a go.

First, you need to make the pastry. You can obviously use shop bought ready rolled, but this is, after all, a Make Do and Mend Year, so here is how I make mine:

• Blitz 120g cold butter with 240g plain flour in a food processor (or you can rub it in by hand, but I always find this a bit too much like hard work, and get much better results using the food processor)
  • With the motor still running drizzle in small amounts of cold water slowly until the pastry starts to come together. Then knead into a ball. I try and then flatten it into a disc, so it make sit easier for rolling out
  • Place the pastry in a freezer bag, folding it round to make it vaguely air tight, and sit it in the fridge for at least 20mins to let it rest
  • Pre-heat your oven to180C
  • Roll out to about 0.5cm depth, and then use to line a loose bottomed flan tin. Place the whole thing on a baking tray, (pre-heated if you are organised enough to remember, I rarely am) this makes it easier to take it in and out of the oven. ) if you are organised enough) Prick with a fork, then line the pastry case with foil or greaseproof paper, and baking beans, and bake for 10-15mins, then remove the baking beans and the lining and bake for another 5-10minutes

While your case is baking, you need to make your filling-this is where the tired veg comes in…

• Yet again, Roasted veg work well, with the advantage that you can roast them at the same time as your case is cooking (you might just need to put them in a little earlier)
  • Or gently fry off some onion and bacon for a classic quiche lorraine
  • Chunks of roasted butternut squash are yummy, with wedges of roasted onion
  • Leek and bacon works pretty well in almost anything
  • Roasted pepper and goats cheese is another favourite, with some fresh basil dotted about

For the custardy bit

• In a jug, whisk together 2 free-range eggs, with about 200-250ml double cream (extravagant I know-I’m sure you can use single cream, or even milk instead), and season to taste

Then when your case is cooked, assemble and cook

• Scatter your veg/bacon/other over the bottom, and pour in your eggy mix-try not to let any seep over the edges or you will get a ‘soggy bottom’
  • If you like, you can then sprinkle over some grated cheese, or some dollops of goat cheese or whatever you have in the fridge, and then bake for 25-30mins. It should be a nice golden colour with a hint of a wobble in the middle (Nigella would I’m sure say something about inner thigh wobbles at this point-this does remind me that BigSmall gleefully pointed out to me that my “bottom shudders every time I take a step” when I got out of the shower the other day-aren’t Small people charming? Time to hold off the double cream maybe..?!)
  • I think you are then supposed to let it sit for 5-10mins before eating, but again I am rarely organised enough, and dinner is usually running late as it is..!

Quiche1

I can assure you that homemade quiche is sooooo much nicer than it’s shop-bought counterparts. My main criteria for tea recipes is ‘can it be on the table in less than an hour’, and this can just about be done! Of course, if you are super-organised, you can pre-bake your case, and even pre-prepare your filling, so that all you need to do is chuck it all together and cook. Uncooked pastry cases also freeze well, so I really should start making two at once, and then freeze one for another time.

Are you a quiche fan..? Any other ideas for tasty fillings? Please do leave a comment 🙂

• Reply Waste Less Wednesday | My Make Do and Mend Year September 18, 2013 at 10:30 am

[…] Waste Not, Want Not recipe ideas #4-quiche-I love a quiche, and even more if there is some left for lunch the next day-leftovers from leftovers-yum […]

• Reply Stop food waste-recipe ideas #5 | My Make Do and Mend Year June 22, 2013 at 6:04 pm

[…] The last post for now in my little series of posts designed to help stop food waste. In case you missed them, the original post is here, and the others are here, here, here and here! […]

• Reply World Environment Day | My Make Do and Mend Year June 5, 2013 at 6:03 pm

[…] fruit and veg that are lurking at the bottom of the fridge. You can find them here, here, here, and here, and I’ve blogged about cooking with Dead Things (things that are a bit past their best)-Dead […]

• Reply 30 ways to save £1 | PinAddicts Challenge May 2, 2013 at 7:04 am

[…] last scrap in the fridge is to disguise any veg that might be past it’s best in risottos, quiches or fritttatas 18. That Christmas Pannetone that someone gave you that you have no idea what to do […]

• Reply 30 Ways to Save £1 | My Make Do and Mend Year April 30, 2013 at 6:01 pm

[…] last scrap in the fridge is to disguise any veg that might be past it’s best in risottos, quiches or […]

• Reply Ellie March 23, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Fabulous inspiration – Made 2 quiches today – cheated with frozen filo pastry base but went with roasted carrot,onion, tomato and Parmesan and roast beet root and feta – yum! (I’m a egg and milk person)

• Reply Jen March 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Oooh,now I’m hungry! They sound fab-enjoy 🙂

• Reply AffordableLiving March 23, 2013 at 10:52 am

See your recipe seems so simple. I put 5 eggs in and half a pot of double cream plus thyme. I usually leave the pastry for 40 minutes to rest and it takes me way more than an hour to make start to finish (or it feels like it) so I might try your way instead to try getting the timing down. Thanks for the suggestion. I might try freezing the pastry. Would you do that before or after blind baking?

• Reply Jen March 23, 2013 at 11:46 am

I think you can doeither but don’t quote me on that! Definitely ok after blind baking.
      Let me know how you get on!

• Reply AffordableLiving March 23, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Shall do. Next time I’ve got eggs going spare (Why the recipe is so good) 🙂

• Reply Hazel March 23, 2013 at 7:35 am

I’m not at all keen on shop bought quiche (wheeled out too often over my 20 something years as a vegetarian before I started eating free range ‘happy’ meat) but you’re right, homemade is entirely different.

I’ve made salmon quiche to used up leftover cooked fish. Nice with a few green herbs in- sorrel, chives, parsley; whatever you have on the windowsill or in the garden. It works well with tinned salmon or smoked salmon trimmings too. Just herb quiche is good too, though the husband gets more sceptical about eating food that’s all herbs and no meat!! Nothing too strong (I’d avoid rosemary and sage in this one) and not too much mint. Any mixture of soft herbs- tarragon (grows easily in a pot), parsley, chives (dead easy to grow and you can make pink vinegar from the flowers!), sorrel (again, v easy), basil, lemon balm (grows even where you don’t want it to! Bees love it) etc

You could reduce the air miles even more by foraging stinging nettles, cooking briefly and adding to any quiche where you’d add herbs or spinach!

If I can’t even be bothered to make pastry I’ve made self-crusting quiche. Not quite the same, more a substantial Spanish omelette/frittata, but sometimes that’s okay!

• Reply Jen March 23, 2013 at 9:11 am

Some delicious sounding ideas Hazel! Will definitely give the herb one a try. Thankyou 🙂

• Reply Hazel March 23, 2013 at 11:49 am

I wasn’t joking when I said lemon balm grows anywhere! When the snow’s gone, I’ll be digging up volunteer lemon balm plants. Email or DM me if you’d like me to send you one or three!
        They smell lovely, make a rather nice herb tea and scented syrup and are even nice in the bath (put in a stocking leg or muslin first unless you’re happy fishing leaves out of plug holes…).

• Reply Jen March 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm

That sounds fab. You’ll have to give me detailed instructions on where/how to plant it-I have not got green fingers..! Will DM you 🙂 Thankyou so much

• Reply sara cowan March 22, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I have recently become a volunteer with the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust and picked up your posts via the Waste Watcher’s campaign. Totally agree with you – wanting to shout at the Chancellor just try Making Do and Mending – it so makes sense – we all borrowed too much and spent too much on unnecessary stuff. I’m a Granny and, to be honest, often feel like I am losing the battle trying to convince offspring that they don’t have to have everything NOW. In a way it’s been my own fault – the Bank of Mum and Dad has been too generous. However with two week old twin grandchildren (with a 2 year old and 4 year old in the same family) I am reluctant to suggest the use of real nappies……………. Have cooked the most delicious quiche this week, with bits of left over bacon and eggs from the chickens at the bottom of the garden. Then a Spanish Omelette with all the other leftovers in the fridge. And the homemade soup is on the menu every weekend. Purple sprouting broccoli, leeks and parsnips off the allotment completes the picture. I wonder how little you can live well on. Keep up the good work. Sara Cowan Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:02:02 +0000 To: cowan_sara@hotmail.com

• Reply Jen March 22, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Congratulations on the twins! I agree, maybe wait a week or two before mentioning the re-usable nappies.. 😉
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting, your meals all sound delicious!

• Reply knittymummy March 22, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I adore quiche. I usually make a few at the same time, then cut them up and freeze them. I use 2 eggs and one extra yoke (seeing as the oven is on you can make some meringues from the spare white). My son’s favourite filling is brocolli and stilton and my daughter’s just stliton. I also like corgette and gruyere

• Reply Jen March 22, 2013 at 10:37 pm

They all sound pretty yum=-especially broccoli and stilton! Will try it out-thankyou!