The Dumping Ground

May 1, 2013

Everyone has a ‘dumping ground’ in their house, right? Don’t they? Or is it just us..?

I will confess that I am not the neatest of people, and both hubby and I are a little guilty of leaving it and hoping the other one will do it, or that the ‘tidy-up fairy’ will magically appear and sort out the mess…

Our dumping ground for stuff we’re not sure to do with/is waiting to go in the loft/on E-bay/on Freecycle etc is our spare room-check it out…

There is a double bed hiding under there somewhere...

There is a double bed hiding under there somewhere…

My craft supplies have got a but 'unruly'...

My craft supplies have got a but ‘unruly’…

As has my fabric stash

As has my fabric stash

It tends to go in a bit of a cycle-it gets messier and messier, I explode, and spend about half a day tidying it up, then it all starts the gradual downward deterioration again. I remember my secondary school science teacher explaining this once by saying that the natural order of the world is chaos-and it certainly seems to be in our house.

So we had (another) sort out.

Bags of fabric for the ‘Bag2School’ collection at Pre-School-this is awesome-chcek it out-you get parents and anyone else who wants to to bring in there unwanted/surplus textiles, and a van comes along, weighs it, tells you how much you’ve raised, you take a picture for the local press, van drives away, you get a cheque in the post! Has to be one of the easiest fundraisers EVER. AND you are saving the world too. Awesome.

Box of stuff to go on E-bay.

spare room7

Box of stuff to go to my mother-in-laws for her to car boot or sell on her Save the Children bric-a-brac stall.

spare room9

Numerous bags of ‘stuff’ into the loft. Sometimes I think we aren’t really tidying/de-cluttering, merely moving things around-mostly into the loft. Hubby keeps threatening that at some point, we will need to have a loft sort-out…

So here is the finished result:

You can see bed, and floor, and everything!

You can see bed, and floor, and everything!

Now, how long will it stay like that…?

• Reply Re-Discovering | My Make Do and Mend Year May 26, 2014 at 8:01 am

[…] last weekend, I tackled the study/craft room, and also the spare room. I have blogged about the spare room before (cripes, that makes me sound uber-dull). Every few months the mess gets too much, I have a blitz and […]

• Reply Clean Bin Project | My Make Do and Mend Year August 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm

[…] the screening, so I have volunteered our spare room. Which at the moment has descended back into a Dumping Ground and needs another blitz. Don’t panic guys, it will be fit for film stars by the time you […]

• Reply Fun Fun Fun… | My Make Do and Mend Year May 11, 2013 at 6:00 pm

[…] week I confessed to the ‘dumping ground’ that is our spare room. Well, that is ONE of several dumping grounds. The outside dumping ground is […]

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo May 2, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Our dumping ground is the lounge, dining room, bedroom, landing and spare room! There are only 2 of us but looking at the cr@p weve obtained you would think that a family of 6 live in our house :o)

• Reply Jen May 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Scary isn’t it..?!

• Reply Sarah May 2, 2013 at 9:18 am

Nice spring cleaning! I have to admit I can be a bit of a messy hoarder sometimes and struggle to find the right balance of when I should keep something and when I should recycle/ebay/freecyle etc. I had a HUGE clear out last year and left my house almost OCD and I loved it, was rather freeing to have less stuff as it frees you from emotional attachment to it. But then I do even look at toilet rolls and think I might keep that you never know when it might be useful and it is better to reuse than recycle! But then if I stick strictly to the waste hierarchy (Reduce> Reuse> Recycle) then I should have a lot less stuff to make these difficult decisions with 😀 x

• Reply Jen May 2, 2013 at 9:49 am

What a great job! It does make you feel much better, and bizarrely makes your head feel less cluttered too..!

• Reply mehubbyandthekids May 2, 2013 at 8:39 am

I am actually surprised by how tidy your spare room was in the ‘before’ photo. I am now completely embarrassed by the state of ours!!! Hubby and I spent a whole day in the attic last week and even though it’s tidier there is still a lot of sorting to be done 🙁

Well done on your clear out

• Reply Jen May 2, 2013 at 9:49 am

Thankyou! I have a horrible feeling we may be tackling the garage this weekend. Not sure when we will get round to the loft..!

• Reply joelleharris May 2, 2013 at 5:51 am

Great result, We all seem to have clutter issues! We have just moved into a new house & I boldly told my husband, we shouldn’t need to put much in the loft…..Haha ….well you never know when you might need a portapotti, campling table, engine casing….shall I go on.

• Reply Jen May 2, 2013 at 7:03 am

Poratpotti may always be handy….I don’t even know what an engine casing is, but it sounds useful-hang on to it!

• Reply Hazel May 2, 2013 at 5:27 am

I’m currently trying to declutter with the ecourse I won on Everyday Life on a Shoestring and slim my bin with the Rubbish Diet, whilst trying not to get rid of stuff that I will wish I had in a months time…

We have the same piles and a stuffed to capacity loft too…

• Reply Jen May 2, 2013 at 7:00 am

Is the de-clutter course helpful Hazel?

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) May 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I have to side with you Jen that piece of “junk” may be useful, or sell one day ! My 3 sheds, 2 spare rooms & loft are woefully full, after inheriting so many possessions !!! Did a few car boots last year till the weather & ill health stopped me i my tracks. I rent a small cabinet in a shop which sells antiques, memorabilia & collectables. I’ve took loads of clothes to “Cash for Clothes” after they failed to sell at car boots. But when needs must … I’m planning another car boot this Sunday to help with a few extra bills. Lets hope I’m able to clear some space too !

• Reply Jen May 2, 2013 at 6:59 am

Good luck the the car boot!

• Reply For Bella and Will May 1, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Inspiring as always 🙂 I must get round to ours, I daren’t put photos up though!

• Reply Jen May 1, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I didn’t dare show the grubby hairy patch of bed that one of the cats has commandeered..!

• Reply sarahn May 1, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Known as the ‘clutter black hole’ and yes, most people have them! Mine migrated from inside the linen closet (which is in my kitchen, the other side is the pantry) to the little kitchen trolley I found kerbside. It’s the papers I’m yet to read/process, and the hankies I was yet to hem (til last night) and the cornflakes that are too big for the cupboard and the stamps to be soaked and and and… It’s a small space and certainly not a whole room, but in my 66sqm place, it’s ENOUGH of a space to get on my nerves!

• Reply Jen May 1, 2013 at 9:35 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how cross I get about the mess, and why no-one else has tidied it up for me…!

• Reply TheMadHouse May 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Wow, that is some transformation. Our loft and garage are our places. Out of sight out of mind and all that. I must do a car boot, I must do a car boot, I must do a car boot. Hoping the more I say it the more likely I will be to get motivated!

• Reply Jen May 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm

You must do a car boot! Can we come too..?!

• Reply Anna May 1, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I often feel that I don’t really clear up, I just move stuff about! We don’t have a spare room, our dumping ground is the garage – we can barely get to the back of it now. Almost nothing that ever goes into it, ever comes out again!

• Reply Jen May 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Oh no, don’t mention the garage. It is like an assault course everytime we want to get anything out. I have a horrible feeling it is on the ‘to-do’ list for the Bank Holiday weekend…

• Reply Halcyon Meldrum May 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm

without meaning to sound rude, scheme like Bag2School actually aren’t saving the world. These clothes often end up on market stalls in many developing countries which has had the effect of kiling off many local textile producers. By local textile producers, I dont mean the sweatshops that produce clothes for the western market, I mean the traditional producers that produce for their own market. It is much better that things are produced locally which provides employment, rather than having things shipped in from the west that we dont want any more.

Lecture over (sorry, its one of my soap box subjects!)

• Reply Jen May 1, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Ethical clothes shopping is a massive issue I agree. But surely it is better that these textiles get recycled/re-used rather than sent to land-fill?

• Reply joelleharris May 2, 2013 at 5:52 am

Halcyon does have a point, but I agree with you, it’s better than landfill. My preference is local charity shop for the good stuff, if it’s rags anyway it will be recycled & not sold on. Also the market traders in other countries need to earn a living too. Complex issue.

• Reply Jen May 2, 2013 at 7:04 am

Hugely complex issue. As you say, whatever happens to it has to be better then landfill though.

• Reply kneehighmum May 1, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I love your comment about the loft – that is exactly what we do! Well done on the spare room declutter!

• Reply Jen May 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Thankyou. It’s already reverting back again…

• Reply Hilary May 1, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Well Jen I can assure you that this house, at least, has one of those rooms. And yes it gets tidied as and when I can’t look at it any more! I’m also re-designating rooms at the moment. The study (from being a teacher) is becoming a sewing/art/computer room (as I’ve now retired). Under the stairs is now clear! That was the fall back place for “these things need somewhere to go”. We don’t have too much in the loft now as we’ve thinned it out! I keep trying to throw/recycle things but my hubby says we might need them! Oh well I’ll keep trying!

• Reply Jen May 1, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I really need to have a huge de-clutter,but I am stuck in between wanting a pared down life, and not wanting to let stuff go because it looks like it might be useful one day!

• Reply Sarah May 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm

My dilemma precisely! I never cease to be amazed at how quickly our house reverts from order back to chaos…but if that’s the natural order of things then I guess it’s nothing to be amazed about!

• Reply Jen May 1, 2013 at 9:32 pm

It’s a nightmare…! But who am I to resist the natural order of things….?!

• Reply Lesley Spellman May 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Nice work! Don’t you feel better after a declutter, no matter how big or small?

• Reply Jen May 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm