Live Below the Line-Day 4

May 2, 2013

In your best Geordie Big Brother man voice…Day 4 in the Live Below the Line Make Do and Mend House…

I went out with the remaining £1.36 from our £20 budget clutched in my sweaty paws this morning, and bought yet more bananas (£1 for 10 this time was the best I could do), and a tin of tomatoes (31p), bringing the grand total of the spend to….£19.95. Well judged I think (I hope…)

Breakfast

• The rest of the bread, toasted with butter and jam/mashed banana and jam-20p
  • Milk for the Smalls-20p

Snacks

• SmallSmall neglected to eat much of his “tees rawl” from yesterday (he ate the cheese…) so this is being served up again as a snack with jam on (bad mummy)-2p for the jam?
  • Hobnobs x2-12p
  • Bananas x2-8p
  • Sunshine bun with butter and jam x1-6p
  • I made some banana muffins with the new bananas and the new bag of flour, sugar and raisins, and the last of the butter and yoghurt-they worked out at 9.5p each
  • Milk for the Smalls-20p

Lunch

• Hubby took the last burger from last night in a roll-11p
  • BigSmall took an egg roll to Pre-School-half an egg and a roll-10p
  • SmallSmall and I finished off the soup from Day 2, and shared a roll-15p
  • Apple x 1-12p
  • 2 banana muffins-19p

Dinner

• Pizza-base made from 300g flour, pinch of salt and yeast from store cupboard. Topping of a reduced tin of tomatoes, eggs and cheese. Total cost £1.50

Not the appetising looking pizza in the world, but it tasted pretty good. I made two of these in the naive hope that there would be some left over for lunches tomorrow. There wasn't...

Not the appetising looking pizza in the world, but it tasted pretty good. I made two of these in the naive hope that there would be some left over for lunches tomorrow. There wasn’t…

• Banana muffins x 4-36p

Total spend for the day £3.41

I am happy to report no traumas today, from either Small, OR the Bigs…!

Good going.

Nearly there…

• Reply Thrifty Thursday | My Make Do and Mend Year September 19, 2013 at 7:29 am

[…] Day 4-homemade pizzas! […]

• Reply thepolishedbutton May 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I’ve nominated you and your lovely blog for an award! You can see the post and details here! http://thepolishedbutton.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/and-the-award-goes-to/
    🙂

• Reply Jen May 3, 2013 at 6:52 pm

You are very kind-thankyou so much 🙂

• Reply ournewlifeinthecountry May 3, 2013 at 7:39 am

You’ve done brilliantly well and to be able to manage this with little ones is a mega achievement. Well Done.

• Reply Jen May 3, 2013 at 10:31 am

Thankyou so much 🙂

• Reply Andy from Workshopshed May 3, 2013 at 7:30 am

Another vote for eggs on pizzas, I think they work really well. Something I had in Demark once was potato pizza made with round slices of potato. It should not really work, carbs plus more carbs but it tasted pretty good.

• Reply Jen May 3, 2013 at 10:31 am

Potato as a topping on the pizza or as a base? Might have to try it!

• Reply Hazel May 3, 2013 at 5:49 am

I’d have given him the roll again too 🙂

I try to find a balance between lectures on starving children in Africa and not forcing the kids to eat (especially conscious of having 2 girls and the whole diet thing) and think I wobble along a middle line most of the time! I hate wasted food, but equally I don’t want them to think they have to keep eating even when they’re not hungry…

And I think the pizza looks fab- we like eggs on our pizza!

• Reply Jen May 3, 2013 at 10:30 am

Thanks Hazel. Really hard to strike that balance, especially when they get older and you hear all the horror stories of girls (and boys) with eating disorders. I guess all you can do is try and have a healthy approach to food yourself, and everything in moderation (except maybe chocolate..)

• Reply suth2 May 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I admire your stickability to keep going with two little ones. You are doing so well. I can imagine your feast when you are finished. 🙂

• Reply Jen May 3, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thankyou! Need to plan something extra yummy for tea on Saturday to say well done to everyone 🙂

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) May 2, 2013 at 10:01 pm

It beats the bread & dripping with salt on we got as youngsters ! (Same vintage as Hilary) I actually preferred dripping butties to anything else ! Chives omelette tonight with Butler leaf sorrel salad leaves (my garden is full of both) with homemade coleslaw followed by rhubarb I cooked y’day with parsnip to sweeten.

• Reply Hazel May 3, 2013 at 5:44 am

I LOVE bread and dripping with salt. If we have ripping in the fridge I eat it for breakfast before I can cook anything in it…
      Something my mum used to give us when we were children, along with the bread and milk for breakfast.

• Reply Jen May 3, 2013 at 10:29 am

Must be an acquired taste…!

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) May 3, 2013 at 1:16 pm

In Liverpool it was condensed milk spread on doorstop thick bread were known as “conny-onny butties” !
        On the Rhubarb & parsnip thing it worked really well, just cuts out the refining process, British sugar is made from a root vegetable after all !

• Reply Jen May 3, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Condensed milk on bread! Might have to try that one..!

• Reply Hilary May 3, 2013 at 6:53 am

Hilary ate bread and dripping sarnies too! Yummy,! My family do too if we ever get any! Sugar sarnies too were around!

• Reply Jen May 3, 2013 at 10:31 am

Sugar sarnies sound better than dripping ones…

• Reply Jen May 3, 2013 at 10:28 am

Sounds delicious Vivienne (the omlette not the dripping sandwich…)

• Reply Hilary May 2, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Another good day, so glad no small people troubles today! And you were not a bad mummy serving up the roll in a different way.
    Waste Not Want Not is the mantra!
    A Tale for you
    Half a century ago when I was little I wouldn’t eat my fried egg sarnie for breakfast(something I actually loved) cos it was cold, my mum served it up for lunch, still didnt eat it but when it appeared for tea I did, and my tea and a bowl of cornflakes. The lesson was learned. My mums mantra was I don’t give you anything you can’t eat! Since then I’ve eaten everything! Back in the fifties there was no pandering about meals you got what there was and liked it! And if you didn’t like it you still ate it!

To,or row is Day five the final day, I hope it goes well and you enjoy some sunny weather.

• Reply Jen May 2, 2013 at 9:23 pm