...Food and Recipes, General ramblings

Dead Cake Pudding

May 8, 2013

Did I mention that bubby has started baking?

Well he has. And for some reason, some of things he is baking are ending up very a little on the dry side…

So I have been coming up with innovative ways of making sure they get eaten!

The latest one was a Passionfruit Slice. Which sounds delicious, but was a bit dry, and then we kind of forgot about it, and it got even drier.

dead cake pudding1

I decided to make a version of Bread Pudding, using the ‘dead cake’ in place of the bread.

I searched through  my recipe books for a Bread Pudding recipe, but drew a blank, so googled it, and the good old BBC Food site came up trumps with this recipe here, which I then adapted slightly.

If you have ‘dead cake’ that needs eating up, I can highly recommend this.

This is what you need:

• 250g ‘dead cake’
  • 250g currants/mixed fruit/whatever you have in the cupboard
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice-whichever you think will complement you ‘dead cake’ best-I went with cinnamon
  • 300ml milk
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 70g light brown soft sugar-in hindsight, I probably could have halved this, or maybe cut it out all together, as the cake already has plenty of sugar!
  • zest of a lemon or an orange-optional-if you feel this will complement your cake
  • 50g butter-we didn’t have any-it was shopping day! so I added a splash of sunflower oil
  • 1 tbsp. demerera sugar-I forgot this…

This is what you do:

• Crumble up the cake into a large mixing bowl
  • Add the dried fruit, milk and spices and scrunch it all up with your hands, to mix it all up
  • Add the egg, sugar and citrus zest (if using)
  • Stir well, and then leave to soak for 15 mins
  • Pre-heat the oven 180C
  • Grease and line the botton of your tin-I used an 8″ round sandwich tin
  • After 15 mins, add the butter/oil and stir well
  • Pour/scrape into your prepared tin, sprinkle with demerera sugar (if you remember and/or have some!)

dead cake pudding2

• Bake in the oven for about an hour

dead cake pudding3

This was a triumph of frugality!

I may ask hubby to bake again, just so I can make more….

• Reply Dead Bread | My Make Do and Mend Year April 11, 2014 at 6:02 am

[…] the savoury bag was getting full, I decided to experiment with my Dead Cake Pudding recipe to see if I could make a savoury Dead Bread Pudding. And I can! AND it is edible. In fact, […]

• Reply Waste Less Wednesday | My Make Do and Mend Year September 18, 2013 at 10:31 am

[…] Or Dead Cake Pudding […]

• Reply knitstitchsew July 10, 2013 at 9:55 am

great idea! We often have stale/dead cakes left over and they go in the food bin. I’ll definately be doing this next time.

• Reply Jen July 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

It’s really yummy-warm or cold!

• Reply Anona Mead May 21, 2013 at 5:57 am

tip from when I was ayoung dew eyed homemaker[and that was aeons ago] if cakes are coming out too dry substitute 1tablespoon of syrup for one tbs of sugar. I took it a bit further and in fruit cakes I use marmalade instead of syrup. Anona

• Reply Hattie May 9, 2013 at 11:12 am

Bread and butter pudding! It’s the only thing to do with ‘dead cake’! x

• Reply Jen May 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I reckon this is even easier Hattie!

• Reply Jane G May 9, 2013 at 7:04 am

My mum used to do something similar when we were kids, we always called it ‘surprise pudding’ as we never knew what was in it, lol.

• Reply Jen May 9, 2013 at 10:32 am

Sounds fab-or was it slightly scary..?!

• Reply Hazel May 9, 2013 at 5:21 am

I think you’ve just invented Cabinet Pudding 😉

It’s usually (traditionally) steamed rather than baked http://www.traditionalenglishpuddings.co.uk/c1cabinetpudding.html but clearly you have a talent- generations of cooks agree that it’s a winning combination!

If you just have a little bit of cake, crumble before adding the custard and top with jam and meringue- Queen of Puddings! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/queen_of_puddings_79904 (Mary Berry is using breadcrumbs but you can use either).

• Reply Jen May 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

My recipe is much simpler than that one! I always start to get a bit scared whenever a recipe says “make a custard”..! Queen of Puddings sounds good too 🙂

• Reply Hazel May 9, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Your custard was just deconstructed 🙂 And if it says ‘make a custard’ you can add a little bit of cornflour to stabilise it- it won’t split then even if you heat it too fast. If anybody can tell the difference they ought to be making it themselves!

• Reply Jen May 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Good tip-thanks Hazel!

• Reply Jo May 8, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Trifle. Nothing makes cake moist again like highly coloured gelatin! Having said that, your pudding looks very yum, and I love its name.

• Reply Jen May 9, 2013 at 10:30 am

Trifle always seems a such a lot of effort! Maybe I should try it next time though 🙂

• Reply carla May 8, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I never really think about the things I could do with dry cake it jsut ends up in the bin…. 🙂

• Reply Jen May 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm

NEVER put cake in the bin…!!!

• Reply carla May 8, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I know I shouldn’t but it has happened where there has actually been left over cake ( shock horror! )
        I think from now on I’m going to be more resourceful with it; I always use up left over’s with everything else so why not cake hey!!!

• Reply Jen May 8, 2013 at 10:22 pm

My mother in law swears by heating it up and covering it in custard! Or you can crumble it up, and mix it with melted chocolate…