A very visible mend…!

May 18, 2013

We had a small accident the other day (not the bike crash, another one..) involving SmallSmall and a fish shaped salt pig thing that we keep all sorts of random keys and bits in. He has a fascination with keys and all the sorts of small things that Small children should never be allowed to play with for fear of choking-like coins and marbles…So I can only assume he was trying to get this down, and it fell on the floor (hubby was in charge at the time…!).

It ended up in several pieces

sugru fish1And hubby did what most sensible people would do, and swept it up and put it in the bin…

When I got home, and the news was broken to me, I did what every sensible Make Do and Mender would, and wailed and stamped my feet demanding that we should at least attempt to try and fix it…

Poor hubby trailed off out to the bin, and managed to extract all the pieces, and went to fetch his extensive range of glues….

sugru fish2And it was at this point that we decided that maybe we should make it a Visible Mend….

sugru fish3So we employed a little Sugru!

sugru fish4

sugru fish5

sugru fish6I think it looks rather funky. You could tell it had been mended when it was all glued back together, so why not stand up and be proud and make a feature of the fixing?! And the Sugru will make it stronger as well.

Now, I just need to find somewhere nice and high to put it….

• Reply lorna gaunt July 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm

hello, i have just discovered your blog, am spending the afternoon reading it, following terrible night with my boy having D&V !! he is now asleep, i am curled up on the sofa, cuppa and laptop to myself.
    your are an inspiration 🙂

• Reply Jen July 15, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thankyou so much, you are very kind. Tell all your friends and spread the word! Hope your boy is doing better now and you don’t get it…!

• Reply The Repair Cafe! | Make It Better... June 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm

[…] ‘knobble’ on one end, hubby’s coat that he had made a new zip pull for, our very visibly mended fish salt pig thing, and our leaky jug that leaks no […]

• Reply Warminster’s Repair Cafe | My Make Do and Mend Year June 3, 2013 at 6:02 pm

[…] ‘knobble’ on one end, hubby’s coat that he had made a new zip pull for, our very visibly mended fish salt pig thing, and our leaky jug that leaks no […]

• Reply Global Sharing Day | My Make Do and Mend Year June 2, 2013 at 6:00 pm

[…] jeans into a skirt, short, a bag… 4. Make a stylish and unique notebook from scrap paper 5.  Visible mending is all the rage-embrace it! 6. Turn an old tank top into a shopping bag by just sewing up the ends! […]

• Reply Hit, Miss and Maybe… | My Make Do and Mend Year June 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm

[…] The visible mending of our salt pig fish thing with […]

• Reply sam@thriftpop May 19, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I love this! It’s like a really funky piece of modern art. I think it looks better than the original! Been following your blog for a while – I think what you’re doing is amazing. xx

• Reply Jen May 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Thankyou very much-you are very kind 🙂 And thankyou for following!

• Reply Jane G May 19, 2013 at 6:40 am

It gives him character, and you get years more use out of him

• Reply Jen May 19, 2013 at 9:39 am

Until SmallSmall gets his hands on it again…!

• Reply thefearsefamily May 19, 2013 at 2:08 am

I really like it! We’ve taken to repairing a lot of things this year with gaffa tape – always an obvious fix. I can’t say it’s bothering me too much. (Would depend on the item though.)

• Reply Jen May 19, 2013 at 9:39 am

I am embracing visible mends!

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) May 18, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Love It looks like a piece of modern art ! I had a casserole dish which my dog knocked out of my hand & the lid looked similar when I’d fixed it !

• Reply Jen May 19, 2013 at 9:38 am

Modern art 🙂 I’m happy with that!

• Reply knittymummy May 18, 2013 at 7:07 pm

It does look funky *goes of to break something *

• Reply Jen May 18, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thankyou! Just try leaving something you really like at Toddler level-does the trick for us… 😉

• Reply Anji May 18, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I totally agree, if you can’t make it invisible make it obvious. The sugru snail trails look fantastic but you will never get it high enough to be out of reach of a toddler. How about have some pink ready for next time? Keep up the good work!

• Reply Jen May 18, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thankyou! Not sure what other colours we have hidingin the fridge. Pink doesn’t get to feature too highly in our house..!

• Reply The Disenchanted Costumier May 18, 2013 at 6:30 pm

What a brilliant idea… I do love getting your posts through to my inbox each day, keep up the great work!

• Reply Jen May 18, 2013 at 6:36 pm