Normal service has resumed..

May 30, 2013

Just a very quick one to say Thankyou so so much for all your lovely comments and support following on from my little bit of navel-gazing and snivelling..!
I am touched and re-motivated that so many people are being inspired by My Make Do and Mend Year.

In case you haven’t had a chance to scroll down through all the comments, here are some of the inspirational quotes that people have shared, and that have helped me re-find my mojo…

• If you don’t think one small thing can make a difference or change behaviour, try sleeping in a room with a mosquito….(Anita Roddick)
  • No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying (Anyone know who said this? It’s pretty awesome)
  • What you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while (Gretchen Rubin-The Happiness Project)
  • Never doubt that a small group of committed individuals can change the world. It’s the only thing that ever has (Gandhi)
  • Be the change you wish to see in the world (Gandhi)
  •  I am only one man. I can only do what one man can do. But what one man can do, I will do (John Seymour)
  • The best way to eat an elephant is bit by bit (Claire Lewis..?!)
  • Just remember some times the end goal is bigger and once you get there the journey and how you got there will be just as important and remarkable

Thankyou everyone again for all your very kind words.

Normal service is now resumed 🙂

• Reply Hazel May 31, 2013 at 6:05 am

Glad you’re feeling happier 🙂
    Here’s another quote (got it on my computer on a virtual post-it at the moment):
    “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.” Martin Luther King Jr.

I also have “More and more people in this country no longer make or do anything tangible; if your job wasn’t performed by a cat or a boa constrictor in a Richard Scarry book I’m not sure I believe it’s necessary.” by Tim Kreider, an American journalist (NY Times I think).
    Not especially inspirational, but true, IMO, and it makes me smile! Eldest daughter read it and said ‘So he’s basically just a big Richard Scarry fan?’ May have missed the point somewhat…

• Reply Jen May 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Thanks Hazel.
      Loving the Richard Scary one-BigSmall is a HUGE fan..!

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) May 31, 2013 at 5:31 am

Hi Jen <3 your blog & would miss it if you gave up after the year ends because you are so conscientious about replying to all the comments posted which makes us all feel we matter … thankyou ! (no reply required)
    I wish you luck looking for a "part time job" but stop & think how much would it cost you as opposed to how much you could earn….
    Child care – unless you have willing Grand parents its not cheap
    Travel – time & money unless you can work locally
    Suitable attire – uniform is rarely provided
    Hair & makeup – Regular cut & blow to look presentable
    Collections – all those special occasions you're asked to give to at work
    Illness – if you, your children & your child minder are never sick ignore this one !
    Meals – convenience food costs more if u don't have time to plan ahead, precook etc. And do a packed lunch for yourself too.
    Conscience – yes I've put this on the list of costs too … need i say more !

• Reply Jen May 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm

All very valid points Vivienne, and you are right (although I’m not sure I would be able to persaude hubby that hair and make up were legitimate ‘needs’ for a job..!!)
      I do work part-time at the moment, but only about 2 or 3 days a month, and usually at the weekends, so hubby can have the boys. Works well and pays the bills but is not where my heart lies!

• Reply carla May 30, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Glad for you 🙂 x

• Reply Jen May 31, 2013 at 1:10 am

Thanks Carla!

• Reply Hilary May 30, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Jen have now found that the third one “what you do every day matters etc.”is by Gretchen Rubin. The Happiness Project. It looks like “no matter how many mistakes etc” is unknown.

• Reply Jen May 31, 2013 at 1:06 am