BIG decision alert…

June 7, 2013

I’ve made a BIG decision…

I am going to write My Make Do and Mend Year, the book!

There, I’ve said it, it’s out there, I have to do it now.

I want to collate all the blog posts and create “The Modern Girls Guide to The Good Life”, following a year of Make Do and Mend from January to December, with lots of how-to’s and makes and upcycles, and waste not want nots, present ideas, the odd recipe, and of course the odd rant, it wouldn’t be mine without the odd rant…
I have been mulling it over for a while now. I think it would make a most excellent book (obviously) and I’ve decided I’m going to do it. And what better way to make myself do it than to announce to everyone that I am. I always find that if I have an idea, once it is verbalised it becomes more ‘real’ (and you look like a bit of an idiot if you don’t then do it, and there is no greater incentive for doing something than NOT wanting to look like an idiot..)
So there we are. It is ‘real’ I WILL be a published author.

I have no idea about publishing or how to approach publishers, so I am going to self-publish it (although if anyone knows of any nice tame publishers who might like an instant best-seller on their hands, please feel free to make the appropriate introductions…) and I haven’t really thought much further than that really. The book in my head is A-MAY-ZING. If the book that comes out of my head is even half as good, it will be on the Christmas best-seller lists…

Just thought you (all) should be the first to know πŸ™‚

PS. I suspect Kirstie Allsop is now a little bit worried about herΒ Queen of Craft and All Things Cool and Thrifty title…

• Reply The Year that Is…. | My Make Do and Mend Year January 1, 2014 at 4:56 pm

[…] The book! Don’t forget the book. I WILL publish this, THIS YEAR. You heard it here first folks, and you have my permission to nag me about this one too! […]

• Reply The Year that Was | My Make Do and Mend Year December 31, 2013 at 3:20 pm

[…] made a public declaration to make the blog into a book. I have to admit that this project has stalled somewhat -I wrote a huge proposal, and two sample […]

• Reply New Year’s Resolutions-a review | My Make Do and Mend Year July 1, 2013 at 6:02 pm

[…] sessions-Not yet Craft cafe type thing-DONE! Artisan markets in my local town-Not yet A book-I’ve said I will , now I just need to actually do […]

• Reply Back on track… | My Make Do and Mend Year June 26, 2013 at 6:02 pm

[…] Writing the book-I REALLY need to get on and write the book… […]

• Reply Hazel June 12, 2013 at 5:48 am

Sorry, bit behind on blogs and commenting. Fab news, brilliant decision.
    I make myself do things in the same way πŸ™‚

• Reply Jen June 12, 2013 at 7:53 am

Now I just need to do it, and find an extra few hours in the day..

• Reply kneehighmum June 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm

V exciting to hear about the book. A friend and I self published a couple of children’s guidebooks a few years ago if you need any help. Best wishes Kathryn x

Jun 7, 2013 07:01:51 PM, comment+pa8ybbj42p6z7tbdy6y42pr@comment.wordpress.com wrote: >

Jen posted: “I’ve made a BIG decision…

I am going to write My Make Do and Mend Year, the book! (Undoubetedly Hollywood will then be knocking on the door, for My Make Do and Mend Year, the movie, but one step at a time…)

There, I’ve said it, it’s out there, “

• Reply Jen June 9, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Fab, thankyou Kathryn!
      PS. Have changed the Swish date to the 12th July-hope you can still make it πŸ™‚

• Reply divasupermum June 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

thats a great idea, wishing all the best with your book, i have enjoyed reading your blogs

• Reply Jen June 8, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Thankyou. There’s lot more blog still to come..!

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo June 8, 2013 at 8:36 am

Excellent idea Jen. Its a very ‘now’ subject and I reckon more than one publisher will want to work with you. You could try contacting some and including a link to the blog so they can get a taster for themselves. Good Luck. :o)

• Reply Jen June 8, 2013 at 8:41 am

Thanks Jo. Have a great weekend πŸ™‚

• Reply Katrine Boyten June 8, 2013 at 7:04 am

All the best and put my name down for a copy! x

• Reply Jen June 8, 2013 at 7:59 am

Will do! Thanks Katrine πŸ™‚

• Reply Heather June 7, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Sounds fabulous! I wish you all the luck with the writing, I’m definitely interested in the finished article.

• Reply Jen June 8, 2013 at 7:59 am

Thanks Heather πŸ™‚

• Reply Louisa June 7, 2013 at 9:11 pm

A book is a fab idea! Go for it!

Might be worth checking out Parragon Publishers in Bath (http://www.parragon.com/uk/home/) – they publish a range of non-fiction stuff including craft and lifestyle books.

Just a thought as it’s a local publisher! πŸ™‚ x

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Great idea! I LOVE blogging-you are all so knowledgable and helpful-thankyou πŸ™‚

• Reply sarahdavy2 June 7, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Sounds like a brilliant idea, maybe get in touch with someone like Homemaker magazine, maybe if you could do an article that would get your name out even more? Hope it goes well, let me know if you need contributors!!! Sarah x

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I’ve tried a few magazines in the past but no takers so far. Maybe time to try again? Thanks for your support! Will definitely give you a shout if I decide I need some outside input πŸ™‚

• Reply Hilary June 7, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Evening Jen, what a great idea to round off your year. Hope you’ll find it easy to write and we’ll all be waiting to buy a copy!

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Hilary. I’m kind of hoping it will write itself from all the blog posts…!

• Reply Sue June 7, 2013 at 8:28 pm

What a fantastic way Jen to celebrate your year of make do and mend. I can now tell friends that I know someone famous! I tried the tee shirt upcycle once, but ended up with wonky sleeves, which I kept trimming till it resembled a vest top…oops!

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Nothing wrong with a t-shirt vest top Sue, nothing at all. It’s all about wonk. Also, I think asymmetric sleeves look very chic..!

• Reply Pillows A-La-Mode June 7, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Yay! Best wishes on your exciting new venture!!! πŸ™‚

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Thankyou!

• Reply Samantha Schofield (@createitsam) June 7, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Congrats, sounds amazing. I am sure that the craft publishers, David & Charles, Quadrille, Searchpress and the likes will be lining up with a deal to sign! Good luck, we have enjoyed reading your posts in our household!

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Thankyou so much! I will check out the Publishers you mentioned πŸ™‚

• Reply @craftyguider June 7, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Excellent idea and love the working title. Go for it. Time to choose who will play you in the movie now!

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Crikey, that really would be scary wouldn’t it..?!

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) June 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Brill news will be giving a few as chrimbo pressies if its out by then !

• Reply Katrina Shaw June 7, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I’ll be adding it to my “gift wish list”!! Great news

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thankyou!

• Reply knittymummy June 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm

are you going to britmums? There’s a “pitch your book” session – but you have to book your slot on it

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Arrggghh!! I wasn’t going to go as I have to work on the Saturday, but then the blog got through to the final so I am going to the Awards ceremony on the Fri night and thought it would make sense to try and go for the whole of Friday (which would include the book pitch) but now I can’t get a ticket πŸ™

• Reply Anji June 7, 2013 at 6:31 pm

You’ll beat Kirstie Allsop hands down as you’ve done it all yourself! Well done for making the decision and I know it wil be a BIG success. Good luck x

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Thankyou so much πŸ™‚ Just need to put my money (or my book) where my mouth is now..!

• Reply manchesterflickchick June 7, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I mean ‘All things COOL and thrifty’, trying a little too much perhaps Kirstie? lol

• Reply manchesterflickchick June 7, 2013 at 6:25 pm

That’s fantastic! I was wondering if you would want to do that, but didn’t wan’t to put you on the spot by suggesting it. I really like your writing style and humour and I can relate to it so much better than Kirsty Alsop!

• Reply Jen June 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm