Making Do. Poor old Making Do. Very much the poor relation to the more glamorous Making or the cooler Mending.
Making Do has been somewhat neglected in the blog, but not in My Make Do and Mend Year itself.
It’s just that it’s not really that exciting to talk about Making Do.
It is often just “stuff we haven’t bought that we otherwise might have done” which isn’t that catchy really is it?
So here we have a little homage to the Making Do that has been going on behind the scenes chez Make Do and Mend:
- SmallSmall’s gro-bag. I posted about this on Facebook way back at the beginning of the year. As with most things SmallSmall owns, it was originally BigSmalls. And BigSmall was often in need of an emergency banana in the mornings when he was littler and I was trying to wean him off breast-feeding. Bananas, small children, and white clothes do NOT mix. This is the result…
I decided that as it was still perfectly functional, and we were the only ones likely to see SmallSmall in his gro-bag, then Making Do was not really all that much of a hardship in this case. Not sure we will be able to sell it on though….
- My boots (oh no, she’s talking about the boots again…). None of them are quite what I really really want, but when the other option is no boots at all, suddenly the not quite right ones seem pretty good!
- My underwear-I know it is within The Rules that we set ourselves to buy new underwear, but I feel like I’ve come this far wearing an old maternity/nursing bra from a year ago, and pants with holes in, so I might as well tough it out for the next 3 months!
- Hubby’s clothes. Poor hubby has literally bought NO new clothes for the whole of the year. I say poor hubby like he really needs new clothes. He doesn’t. He has plenty. But he does like a good browse in the Sales.
- The washing basket. The symbol of My Make Do and Mend Year. It has been repaired to within an inch of it’s life and it will Make Do until the end of the year if it kills us!
- My ‘nightime attire’. Nothing dodgy. I have some vest tops that I wear in bed with/without PJs (is this too much information to be giving away..??!) depending on the weather (it is all non-stop glamour here) and they too have holes in now. But they are still functional at the moment, and I have seen a great how-to for making some new ones out of old t-shirts so I will give this a go ASAP and bore you all rigid with it at some point…
- I haven’t bought any new magazines and have instead tried to remember to take my book with me for any odd train journeys etc (you know when you go and buy yourself a drink and a magazine to read on the journey?). I thought this is what I would miss most, but I really haven’t.
- With the warmer weather this week, I have realised that my wardrobe is sadly lacking in t-shirts, but I do have a bag stuffed dull of long-sleeved ones awaiting upcycling, so I really should get on with this.
So there we have it. A few of our Making Dos.
I did say that Making Do wasn’t very exciting..!