...Celebrations, General ramblings

Teacher gifts

July 20, 2013

It’s the end of the academic year, in case you hadn’t noticed.

And this year, BigSmall is graduating.
From Pre-School.

Grad1
It is quite a big moment in a Small person’s life. Or actually, more of a big moment in a Small person’s mummy’s life.
I am more than a little sad, that he is moving on and growing up, and starting on the treadmill of school, and all that it leads to…
But also, excited for him, as he starts a whole new chapter in his life, and all that he has to learn.
He has had the most wonderful time at Pre-School, but he is ready for school, and I know he will love it.

Anyway, enough weepy sentimentalities from an over-emotional mother.

I made presents for the brilliant ladies who work at the Pre-School, who have seemingly un-ending patience, and smiles and hugs for all of their charges. I take my hats off to them. It is a hard job, for rubbish pay. But they come in every day and you can tell that they love the kids and they love what they do, and my BigSmall has always gone in with a big smile on his face. So I am eternally grateful to them.

I decided to try out a recipe I had seen in the Waitrose magazine for Flourless Chocolate Caramel Brownies, and put them in some jars I picked up at a car boot.
But I had a bit of a nightmare.
As I was putting the tin on the oven, I remember thinking to myself, “Hmmm, that looks quite full. Oh well, sure it will be fine”

brownie bomb22It wasn’t

brownie bomb23

I may have to clean my oven again…

But I did manage to salvage enough to put a few pieces in each jar, and you can hardly taste the burnt bits

Brownie jars1

• Reply Eliana July 26, 2013 at 6:55 pm

As a teacher, even though one that is very far away from England, I can tell you that we appreciate homemade treats more than any other kind. This year I had a parent make the most amazing fudge–she kept apologizing for how it turned out, but honestly it was great.

• Reply Jen July 26, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Great to know, thankyou!
      Whereabouts are you Eliana?
      Thanks for reading 🙂

• Reply mehubbyandthekids July 21, 2013 at 5:28 pm

We were very last minute this year (as always) so I had to have a quick and inexpensive present for the teachers. I didn’t think my baking as up to scratch so I bought 2 notebooks for 99p and a pack of pens for the same. I used fabric from my stash to cover the notebooks and then again using fabric I already had, I made a bag big enough for the notebook and pen to fit in. Thankfully little lady’s teacher and TA loved them.

• Reply Jen July 21, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Bet they looked great!

• Reply Heather July 21, 2013 at 7:45 am

Ooh sounds lovely. I did a cream tea basket. Homemade scones and jam, then bought clotted cream and butter, nice napkins in a basket I already had. I hope this link works: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151770781263638&l=1487907ea0 Heather x

• Reply Jen July 21, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Link works Heather! Looks fab 🙂 Lucky teachers

• Reply Sue July 20, 2013 at 8:31 pm

You can’t beat a homemade prezzie, it means you thought about it, instead of just grabbing a bottle of something from the supermarket. Anyway a nice piece of chewy well done brownie always goes down a storm!

• Reply Jen July 20, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Thanks Sue 🙂

• Reply Ellie July 20, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Gorgeous jars! In fairness most preschool teachers I know have taste buds especially attuned to enjoy ‘well done’ cake! I’m sure they loved them!

• Reply Jen July 20, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Thanks Ellie. Hope so!

• Reply Karolyn July 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm

We have a tradition of giving a gift for the next class to use; often a nice book and one time a chess set! This year my girl left First school and she made her teachers a pencil pot; glass jar decorated with special ‘glass’ pens and we gave the future class users a Wildlife book.

• Reply Jen July 20, 2013 at 9:27 pm

That’s a really nice idea Karolyn. Wow, so she really is going up to big, big school!