Sorry Kids….

August 20, 2013

Today is a pretty momentous day.

For the world, and for future generations.

Today is “Earth Overshoot Day”.

Earth Overshoot

The day that human resource demand exceeds nature’s budget.

If we quantify the amount of resources that the planet can produce in one year, then today marks the point in the year, at which we have already used them up.
So for every day from now until the end of the year, we are ‘borrowing’ (taking) resources from future generations.

Earth Overshoot this year is two days earlier than it was last year.
In 1993, it fell on October 21st.
So in 20 years, it has advanced by 2 months.
A month for every 10 years.
So in 50 years time, we could have used up a year’s worth of resources by MARCH. Probably earlier, given the prediction for a global population of 9 billion by that point.

Even if you are rubbish at maths you can see that this cannot continue.
It is truly unsustainable.

So that is why I want to say Sorry.
To my kids, to all the kids of the future.
Our greed is destroying your chances.

I have said countless times before that I don’t know what the answer is.
And that we all can do is what we can do, and make small changes, and together, they could make a big difference.
WWF have bought out this video to demonstrate some of the issues around over-consumption, and to encourage us all to change the way we think,  and it is really thought provoking.

Personally, I want to do more.
I want what I am doing, what we have done as a family over the last year to have made a difference. A really big difference.
And I don’t know how to achieve that.
Other than by plugging away, doing what we are doing, blogging it, and shouting about it.

This is huge.
We are wrecking the planet.
And so quickly, that we may still be alive when it all goes tits up.

• Reply Judith August 22, 2013 at 4:08 am

Thank you for this honest post. Trying to do one’s part has an air of desperation to it – because it is such a desperate situation. I know those who say it’s not worth trying because one person cannot really make a difference. But all of us are individuals with individual choices and I really believe that each choice we make can effect change. Kudos to you for your make do and mend year! I bet you will save a ton of money too, as well as the planet!

• Reply knitsofacto August 21, 2013 at 8:21 am

As an individual, yes, you can only do what you can do. Truth is this stuff starts with businesses and of course our purchasing choices will influence their behaviour, but not always in the right direction.

I have never got the drinking coffee out of a plastic cup thing … stop, enjoy, use a mug 😉

• Reply Jen August 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

Quite right about the coffee!
      i hear what you are saying about businesses, but I think that we all have to take responsibility and not use the fact the government and businesses aren’t doing all that we think they should as an excuse for us as individuals to do what we can. As individuals,if we all did it, and the individuals who work in business and in the government did it, then we can make change happen.

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) August 21, 2013 at 5:32 am

I’m 100% with you in this … if we can just get people to stop a moment & think ! Went shopping y’day I took my own jute shopping bags but every shop shoved plastic carriers at me I felt like screaming …eeek !

• Reply Jen August 21, 2013 at 9:06 am

Plastic shopping bags are a nightmare. And as you say, they are almost forced upon you when you are out.

• Reply suth2 August 21, 2013 at 12:34 am

Since reading your blog you have certainly made me think about the way I do things. Every little helps.

• Reply Jen August 21, 2013 at 9:05 am

That’s great to hear, Thankyou. And yes, every little helps, if we all do it.

• Reply Truly Myrtle August 20, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Crumbs.
    It leaves you feeling a bit powerless doesn’t it?!
    Powerless, but a bit more determined.

• Reply Jen August 20, 2013 at 10:06 pm

More than a little.
      I just keep thinking I can only do what I can do, and I MUST do it.
      I just hope other people start to see that too.