The Trousers…

August 25, 2013

I posted yesterday about hubby’s trousers with the large ink stain. They are his work trousers and he was happily wandering around with a biro in his pocket, and ended up with a large blue stain on his trousers, and his leg.

image

We had one of those dirt devil thing s lurking in the utility room cupboard, and I tried that, but made the mistake of telling hubby to rub the fabric together after the allotted 15 minutes, meaning rub the stained bits of fabric against each other. Hubby rubbed the clean trouser leg against the stained leg, resulting in two stained trouser legs. And the Dirt Devil didn’t work.

Various suggestions were mooted on Twitter, most commonly hair spray. Of which I have none. A couple of people suggested a patch, but I am not sure hubby would go for a patch near his crotch, especially on his work trousers, which would result in a reasonable amount of mickey taking.

So dyeing it was. I splashed out £5.99 on the dye. Which seemed quite pricey, but is still cheaper than a new pair of trousers. And it’s more about saving the trousers, than saving money anyway. The dye packet has big orange crosses on it, so I don’t think it can be the most environmentally sound thing, but it has to be better than binning the trousers and buying a new pair. Right?

Anyway, here are the results:

image

Hubby is clearly delighted…

You can see where the dye hasn’t taken on the polyester stitching but I think they look pretty cool, and the stain is nowhere to be seen.

image

Result!

• Reply Zero Waste Week Day 3 | My Make Do and Mend Year September 3, 2014 at 3:56 pm

[…] lace trim to make a new top to wear in bed2. Hubby had a large ink spot on his work trousers, so we dyed them to hide it!3. I found a coat in a charity shop but didn’t like the buttons, so changed […]

• Reply Kara August 29, 2013 at 9:54 am

Hahah, I just dyed my husband’s beige trousers after he sat in something. The thread always dyes a different colour than the fabric. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. I re-dye things all the time in my washing machine, and I’ve never had problems with the dye sticking around. I just wash the dyed clothes once more, and then run a short cycle with nothing in it. I take a scrubbie to the bits on the machine where the dye is still hanging about (usually the seals and glass) and it wipes right off.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that does this though…

• Reply Jen August 29, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Only my 2nd attempt at dyeing but am pretty pleased with the results! Glad to hear yours worked well too

• Reply SarahN August 28, 2013 at 12:37 am

What a great solution – I have the same weird colouring with synthetics and dying – this layered dress came out all different tones, none the navy on the packet. But given I wasn’t wearing it in the current purple shade, it seemed a good thing to try! Still hasn’t turned me off dying! Nice work

• Reply Jen August 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm

That sounds pretty cool being all different shades though!

• Reply contessafarrugia August 25, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Well done for getting your mojo back!

I had a massive biro disaster on one of my work tunics when I was on student placement. Put my white hospital tunic in the machine with a biro in the pocket. It was explosive! This was during my first ever placement – we only got 2 tunics for the 3 years and 6 placements where I was convinced we were being judged on how presentable we looked (I’m sure they cared about clinical reasoning as well but ..)

After much weeping and wailing, feeling that I would never pass any placements and employed husband even offering to shell out for a new tunic for me I discovered that liberal amounts of nailpolish remover followed by a hot wash actually did the trick where nothing else worked. It took a few cycles but it was amazing! Probably not so environmentally friendly either but it beat buying a new tunic. And I passed all my placements! of course due to my sparkling tunics and not my clinical skills. lol

• Reply Jen August 25, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Wow, now there’s a tail! I think someone else recommended nail varnish remover. Will try and remember if (when) there is a next time! Thankyou.

• Reply Rose @ The Cosy Dragon August 25, 2013 at 7:35 pm

What did you use as a bucket to dye them in? I really want to dye some of my old jeans, but I’m frightened I’m going to stain the laundry sink/bucket beyond saving. It’s not a metal one.

• Reply Jen August 25, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I used the one that you use in the machine. It did leave the seal a grey colour when I took the trousers out but the instructions say to then do another wash with the machine empty. Is your kitchen or utility sink stainless steel? You could use this maybe?

• Reply Rose @ The Cosy Dragon August 28, 2013 at 12:49 am

Yes, my kitchen sink is stainless steel! Why did I not think of that??

I’d be worried about staining my washing machine, and shoot me if I didn’t just give away the tub part of our old one. Silly me.

• Reply Jen August 28, 2013 at 6:12 pm

There was a bit of staining on the rubber seal initially, but this seems to have gone now. Good Luck!

• Reply Hilary August 25, 2013 at 7:24 pm

You’ve had a better result than I did, I dyed a jacket green and the thread didn’t colour either but it didn’t look ok like the trousers. It had to be discarded I’m afraid but I learnt a lesson! Well done and it was certainly worth while to save the trousers.

• Reply Jen August 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Thanks Hilary.

• Reply Zoe @ecothrifty August 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm

They look good! I don’t know if it would have worked, but I try using bicarbonate of soda on all stains.

• Reply Jen August 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I will give it a go next time Zoe!