Door stopper Challenge…

August 30, 2013

I’m sat watching the GBBO, and they are doing the Show Stopper Challenge. I had been struggling for inspiration for a title for this post about making a door stop, so the Door Stopper Challenge suddenly struck me as genius!

Back in the heady days of summer, when we had that really hot spell, we had all the doors open and had issues with doors slamming. We really could have done with some door stops and I should have made some at the time, but I didn’t.

So now the weather has started to take on a distinctly Autumnal feel, it is obviously a good time do it.

I decided I wanted to make use of BigSmall’s many pairs of trousers with large holes in the knees, having abandoned any pretence that I will actually get around to patching them before he grows out of them.

image

I cut off the un-holey leg, turned it inside out and sewed up one end, then the other, leaving a gap for turning out and filling. Then I duly turned it out and filled it with dry rice, and over-sewed the end.

image

It works pretty well, is quick to do and makes use of something that would otherwise go in the textile bin, so I am happy, and will try and make a stash ready for next summer, with high hopes of more long sunny days, and open doors!

• Reply lizlovingandlearning August 31, 2013 at 4:04 pm

How about gravel or dry sand instead of rice or other foodstuffs? Unless you’re using it as an emergency foodstore 😉

• Reply Jen August 31, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I know. I felt quite bad about using perfectly good food. I do worry a bit though about getting sand/gravel dry enough and it going all mouldy. Have you ever tried it/ had any problems?

• Reply lizlovingandlearning August 31, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I haven’t tried but you could put either sand or gravel in the oven for awhile before using. Maybe using the heat once the oven is switched off. Or if you have radiators on it could go on that. Gravel might be better in this regard.

• Reply Jen August 31, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Great, Thankyou.

• Reply Zoe @ecothrifty August 31, 2013 at 7:16 am

What a great idea for some unwanted denim! I have a never ending supply of kids jeans with holes in them. I tried to fix some of them, but it didn’t last/ work very well. Now I give all my kids jeans with holes in them to the nursery my younger one goes to. They use them for messy play/ spare clothes.

• Reply Jen August 31, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I kept meaning to mend them, but he had to keep wearing them before I got round to patching them, and they inevitably got worse and worse…!

• Reply hmk71 August 31, 2013 at 7:05 am

For the rest of the denim, I like this road set I found on Pinterest (where else?!) http://pinterest.com/pin/341077371750101543/ (hope the link works…)
    I have a couple of little boys I need Christmas presents for. In a drawstring bag, maybe with a car or 2 from a charity shop (if I can find any not too well loved)?

• Reply Jen August 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Fabulous! Think my 2 would love this, Thankyou!

• Reply Rose @ The Cosy Dragon August 30, 2013 at 8:09 pm

If you filled them with dried wheat, they could also double as bed warmers in winter! Double use! I’ve tried corn and wheat filled one, but the wheat ones are more comfortable to use.

• Reply Jen August 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I think the rice can be heated up too, not sure it holds it’s heat as well as wheat though. Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

• Reply Andy from Workshopshed August 30, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Perhaps a selection of trouser leg offcuts could be turned into a draft excluder?

• Reply Jen August 31, 2013 at 1:55 pm