Charity Shop Fairies

November 24, 2013

Someone on Twitter once mentioned to me (as you do) that there were such things as Charity Shop/Car Boot/General Thrifting Fairies, who can choose to smile down on you and bless you with a multitude of pre-loved goodies.
Well, they must have been following the blog, and read my post where I had a mild panic about all things Christmas, because the very next day, I went for a wander around my local charity shops and came home weighed down with bounty 🙂

I found:

• a picture frame for a secret project
  • some stocking tat for the Smalls
    Why is it that I feel less bad about buying them tat when it is secondhand tat? It is still tat!

• three plain mugs that I can decorate (as inspired by Not So Granny-thankyou!)
There is even a matching pair!

There is even a matching pair!

• a pair of wellies for me
How funky are these?! My wellies are ok at the moment, but never look a charity shop find in the mouth-you never know when you will next need a 'new' pair of wellies and sod's law says, there will be NONE to be found...

How funky are these?!
My wellies are ok at the moment, but never look a charity shop find in the mouth-you never know when you will next need a ‘new’ pair of wellies and sod’s law says, there will be NONE to be found…

• a Lightning McQueen jigsaw for BigSmall, that I wasn’t convinced would be complete, but it is-hurrah!

Charity Shop Christmas4

• and some embroidery thread for ‘making things’. Well, you can never have enough things in your stash can you…?
    Charity Shop Christmas3

Christmas is back on people 🙂

• Reply Christmas 2013-the post-match analysis | My Make Do and Mend Year January 6, 2014 at 7:40 pm

[…] made less than last year, and bought more, but got pretty much all of it secondhand. I hit lucky in the charity shops with various tat to put in the Small’s stockings, and BigSmall got some Hot Wheels Track and […]

• Reply deedsite November 27, 2013 at 3:45 pm

great blog…its so refreshing to see your posts. Check out http://www.thriftshopcardiff.wordpress.com too its nothing as good as yours but its a work in progress…

• Reply Jen November 27, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Thankyou.
      What a great idea for a blog-love it!

• Reply Heather November 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I’m on the hunt for glassware to use over Christmas and various charity shops are coming up with the goods for me. I found a perfect glass trifle bowl on Monday and last week picked up a tall glass bottle with stopper for a project. I’m now looking for some small glass apothecary type bowls with lids for some home made Christmas decoration projects I’m thinking of. I think I’ll have a look through the charity shops in Watford this week (where I live) and see what I find. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the charity shop fairies are smiling down on me!!

• Reply Jen November 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I am sure they will be!

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo November 25, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Yay you! We did a few Charity shops last week in an area we usually just drive through. I picked up a lovely Brown Leather Jacket in great condition for £10. Its very high quality and the company hat made it are still selling a very similar one currently for about £299, so I reckon that was a bargin. :o)

• Reply Jen November 25, 2013 at 10:57 pm

You lucky thing!

• Reply Rita Duckworth November 25, 2013 at 10:17 am

i love love charity shops ,i have not bought new clothes for at least 10yrs and most of my household is 2nd hand(not the telly my hubby loves his gadets)i give money to my grankids for birthdays and christmas,love making pyjamers and nightys out of my old clothes am very happy and i dont look like a tramp x

• Reply Jen November 25, 2013 at 10:56 pm

That all sounds brill Rita-top Make Do and Mending 🙂

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) November 24, 2013 at 11:47 pm

My recent haul includes a lovely long 6ft table runner for £2 that is deep red with a pretty sequined flower motif every so often, lovely for my daughter for her Xmas dinner table. (she only got the table last month when she moved to house with a dining room)

• Reply Jen November 25, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Sounds lovely Vivienne :_

• Reply Karolyn November 24, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I had great success one morning recently; 6 matching glass bowls, a set of 3 glass tea light holders with a cute heart design (decided to give these as a gift to myself!) and a beautiful red Per Una scarf…which I also kept…ahem!
    Total spend £8.50
    Obviously, I must try harder to find things to give away though!!

• Reply Jen November 25, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Good finds!

• Reply Sue November 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Charity shops are the most wonderful invention! Over the past few trips I have purchased the following: brand new pack of crayola pencils, pack of Xmas Santa pencils and erasers, a playmobile ark (which is currently being used as a pirate ship for my 5 year old grandsons Moshi figures and 2 pairs of brand new cotton 60 denier M&S tights (for moi!)… People just don’t know what bargains they are missing…..it’s like a gift shop in Narnia! Sue xx

• Reply Jen November 25, 2013 at 10:56 pm

A gift shop in Narnia-love it!

• Reply Jill Moulton November 24, 2013 at 8:22 pm

A good haul! Will be trawling during the week afterpeople have had a weekend clearout!

• Reply Jen November 25, 2013 at 10:55 pm