Last year, in a vain attempt to be more exciting than a Lego Advent Calendar, I made up a calendar of “Things We Can Do Together”.
I resent feeling obliged to spend money on pointless bits of crap to put in an Advent Calendar, and there are lots of cool things to do, and things that need making in the run up to Christmas, so this is what we are doing this year. Feel free to borrow any of the ideas 🙂
1) Write a letter to Father Christmas-you can find some templates online or just use plain paper and pretty it up in ‘some kind of imaginative festive way’
2) Have a toy sort out and take some to a charity shop. This may or may not happen. I like the idea of it, but it is possibly a little mean and is almost inevitably going to end in tears (most probably mine)
4) Decorate some wrapping paper-I have a huge big roll of plain brown paper which we got from the Scrapstore, and quite fancy some apple or potato printing
5) Make Christmas biscuits-we did these last year, and they are yummy
7) Christmas Fair at a local school
8) Christmas Craft Day with Wiltshire Wildlife Trust at Langford Lakes-Making wreaths and other festive goodies
9) Visit the library and find some festive books to come home and snuggle up with
10) Make some salt dough decorations-we did this last year, and it worked really well. I am not sure though that they will have survived a year in our loft, so we will make some more
11) Make some decorations-paper chains/snowflakes, that kind of thing
12) Make a wreath-last year I made one from baubles, and BigSmall made his own version…
13) Put the tree up-not sure yet what form this will take-last year’s magnificent Egg Box Tree will take some beating
14) Another Christmas Fair-this time at Pre-School
15) Snuggle on the sofa for a Christmas DVD
16) Visit Longleat-we live really close, and have passes, and they have this awesome giant singing Christmas tree…
17) Christmas Party at Playgroup
18) The library are doing a Christmas story time in the evening, and the kids have to come in their PJs with their teddies-very sweet
19) Christmas Lunch at school
20) Decorate the Christmas cake-this was last year’s attempt-please pay attention to the crocheted trim!
21) Walk/bike around town to look at the blinged up houses
22) Some kind of visit to Santa-we have taken ours on the Santa Special on the Watercress Line for the last couple of years-it is pricey, but my parents have paid for it in the past!
23) Make crackers-I plan to do this EVERY year, and every year I fail. This year we WILL do it…
24) Put out the mince pie, carrot and milk for Father Christmas and hang up the stockings, and then refrain from bursting with excitement