...Celebrations, General ramblings

It’s a Miracle!

December 29, 2013

I have discovered the miracle that is a Sharpie pen, a ceramic mug, and an oven, and I have seen the light!
I have seen lots of pins on Pinterest, but always doubted that it would work, but it does-hallelujah!

Sooooo, this is what I made for hubby’s niece for Christmas-a hot chocolate kit in a personalised mug:

Hot choc1

Her name is is “Ellen”, in case you were wondering…

And she quite likes horses!

And she quite likes horses!

The process is really quite simple, and if you are better than me at writing and drawing, it would be even simpler.
I am not very good at writing neatly, or drawing anything that looks as it is supposed to, so I used my super-duper Silhouette cutting machine to make the ‘design’ which it then cut out on vinyl, and I could then use this as a template on the mug. Basically you then draw/colour in with your Sharpie pen, remove any stencils, and place in a cold oven.
Turn the heat up to 230C, and when it has reached temperature, leave it in for half an hour, then turn the heat off and leave the mug in the oven to cool down. (I think all these precautions are to limit the chances of your mg cracking).
And it’s done!
Here are some tips/precautions before you dive on in:

• Apparently cheaper mugs are better than more expernsive ones-something to do with the glaze. Mine was £1 in the charity shop 🙂
  • De-grease the outside of your mug with something like surgical spirit beforehand and then give it a good wash and dry
  • You might need to do 2 coats with your Sharpie pen (leaving it to air dry in between coats) to try and minimise the appearance of the brush/pen strokes
  • Don’t put them in the dishwasher even once your design is baked on!

I am happier about this than it is probably reasonable for a grown woman to be, but there we go, it’s the little things!
I filled the mug with some hot chocolate on a stick things I made, which I will tell you all about tomorrow 🙂

• Reply DIY Father's Day gifts: How to give your dad something special on a budget – Mirror.co.uk « CoolNerd June 16, 2016 at 5:40 pm

[…] Dad a personalised cup for his daily cuppa.
 Then bake it in the oven to fix the image. You can read the full instructions here […]

• Reply Christmas 2013-the post-match analysis | My Make Do and Mend Year January 6, 2014 at 7:40 pm

[…] Of the things we did make, there was the ingenious make your own mugs, […]

• Reply KnitNell December 30, 2013 at 11:02 am

I love this idea. It would also work for presents for colleagues/social group members eg writing the owner’s name plus drinks preference, W T 2x S or B C no S. Would make tea breaks easier for those of us with poor memories!
    Cld u add a link to your s-d Silhouette machine – sounds intriguing and I presume you have spoken about it on another Post? Cheers KN

• Reply Jen December 30, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Love that idea!
      Here is the link http://www.silhouetteamerica.com
      I got mine a couple of years ago, and it takes a bit of getting used to, but is hugely useful, and I love the fact that you can make your own designs on the computer (or buy them from their store). There are loads of great tutorials online and their online help desk is also pretty helpful too.

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) December 29, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I don’t know about dishwasher safe but I know sharpie pen writing lasts ages … I wrote my name on my access pass for work over five years ago & its still going strong !

• Reply Jen December 30, 2013 at 7:59 pm

That’s good to know Vivienne, thank you!

• Reply purplekatie December 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I was going to try the same thing with a porcelain pen because then it should be dishwasher safe. Although having said that I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that sharpie pens are dishwasher safe after you bake the mug, is that wrong?

• Reply Jen December 30, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’ve done some mugs with the Smalls with porcelain paints before and the paints we had came with instructions not to put them in the dishwasher. I am only making assumptions about the Sharpie and the Dishwasher (that sounds like some kind of sit-com or dodgy novel title…) but better safe than sorry!

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo December 29, 2013 at 10:07 am

Wow, that looks really professional, well done you. 🙂

• Reply Jen December 30, 2013 at 8:00 pm