Take 2….

January 7, 2014

After the disaster that was the homemade Salt Face Scrub, I remain undaunted, and am Trying Again.
You will all be pleased to know that the face gloop was not wasted, and that I did indeed stubbornly use it, even if it meant two goes with soap afterwards to rid my face of the oil slick it left behind. I also used it as an in shower body scrub, and it left my legs suitably oily moisturised.

So Take 2

This is the original recipe, in case you have forgotten

• 40ml liquid castille soap
  • 10ml almond oil
  • 80ml sunflower oil
  • 10 drops essential oil of your choice
  • 250g salt-I used a combination of coarse sea salt, table salt, and epsom salts, but whatever you have is good

Yes, I know. I can’t understand why I was surprised it was so oily, when the main ingredients are….oil. But there we go.

This time, crazily free-hand and without the aid of someone else’s blog post/recipe to copy, I am going with:

• 250g salt-same combo of coarse, fine and epsom
  • 1tbsp almond oil
  • enough liquid castle soap to make it a suitable consistency-this was about 5 tbsps
  • 10 drops essential oil-I went with lemon and tea tree, as it is all I have I thought this would be suitably cleansing

And the verdict…..

AWFUL!!
Even worse than the first one.
Hubby tried it first, and very diplomatically said he “wasn’t sure”, and that his face felt “squeaky clean yet oily at the same time”. I told him that was ridiculous, before trying myself, and yes it is true. It kind of forms this barrier of oil on your face that won’t come off, even with repeated soapings.
ARRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Any ideas people? Not sure this one is even salvageable as a body scrub as it leaves this weird film behind.

YUK YUK YUK 🙁

• Reply Nic January 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Try half teaspoon of honey mixed with half teaspoon sweet almond oil? Or coconut oil? Or maybe oil isn’t for your skin. I only ever use it as a cleansing moisturiser (ie. Put on fine layer at night and wash off in morning). Definitely try oats. Just wrap oats in cheese cloth (or, as i did, the toes of lycra tights) and use as a wash ball. Simples.

• Reply Jen January 7, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Oh yay-loving the idea of oats in tights-deffo trying this-thankyou!

• Reply fashionforlunch January 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm

wow!!! i need to try!

• Reply Jen January 7, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I wouldn’t advise it!

• Reply Tracy January 7, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Try adding cider or a fruit vinegar it cuts the oiliness or oats work well I have used both before to salvage over oily homemade mistakes!

• Reply Jen January 7, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Great idea-will try, thank you 🙂

• Reply lesleygcooper January 7, 2014 at 1:52 pm

not sure how it would translate up into quantities, but when I want to do something similar, I put a few drops of whatever oil is around, usually olive oil as it smells nice, in the palm of my hand, the tip of tsp of table salt (not sea salt as it is too coarse), Then I rub my palms together and rub it all over my hands as if I was washing them thoroughly as a hand softener/scrub, then just rinse under a tap.
    There is no significant oil left, and I don’t use soap to wash it off

So maybe the quantities should just be a nice smelling oil, with about half the quantity of table salt in it, with maybe the essential oil as fragrance

• Reply Jen January 7, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Thanks Lesley. The original scrub worked really well as a body/foot scrub, but just not on the face. Will keep trying!

• Reply lindaswildlifegarden January 7, 2014 at 1:36 pm

http://imake.gg/2012/03/11/tutorial-homemade-hand-scrub/ TRY THIS ONE I USED IT WORKS A TREAT

• Reply Jen January 7, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Hi Linda
      Thanks for the link. Have you used this as hand scrub, or as a face one. I think my issue is the fact that I am trying to find a face scrub, and have quite greasy skin (that makes me sound really pleasant…) so don;t really want my face left feeling oily (which would be a good thing for hands and legs etc)