Making

One biscuit, a bazillion ways

January 18, 2014
Cake-stand21

OK, so maybe not technically quite a bazillion, but pretty close…

You may or may not have seen my post about my fave ever biscuit recipe-it is from Nigella Christmas and is her Chocolate Shortbread Cookies.
What I LOVE about the recipe is a) it is super easy-bung it all the mixer and done; b) I can normally be guaranteed to have all the ingredients in the house; c) they taste delicious; d) they freeze really well; and e) as I am about to show you, they are infinitely adaptable. What’s not to love?!

Just to recap, this is the basic recipe:

• 250g butter at room temperature (try to ignore the fact that this is a whole packet of butter…)
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 300g plain flour
  • 40g cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • Pre-heat the oven to 170C
  • Line 2 baking trays with baking paper or re-usable liners
  • Put all the ingredients into a Magimix type food processor and whiz until it forms a dough
  • Place tablespoons of the dough onto the trays, and roll them into balls. I get 20-30 from this mix. I flatten them down a bit with a fork as I like the ridges that it leaves
  • Bake for about 15 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15minutes before removing to cool completely on a cooling rack

And here are some ideas for some variations:

• Add white chocolate chips or chunks to the recipe above
  • Use a little less cocoa powder, and add in some espresso coffee powder, for mochachino biscuits
  • Omit the cocoa and add:
    -milk or dark chocolate chunks/chips-these are melt in the mouth scrum my
    -raisins
    -raisins and chocolate!
    -white chocolate and cranberry
    -orange zest or lemon zest
    -chunks of crystallised ginger
    -chunks of ginger with dark chocolate chunks
    -a tsp of mixed spice for a festive version-with or without cranberries etc
    -I have thought about rolling the balls of dough in a mix of cinnamon and sugar (like snickerdoodles for those of you who have made these) but not yet tried it
    -have also contemplated a pinch of dried lavender (maybe with lemon zest?)-lavender shortbread is ‘a thing’ I think

Any other suggestions of flavour combos for me to try?

Cake-stand21

• Jo aka Kiwijo January 18, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Wow these combos look great (as do the biccies), shame Im the only one in our house that would eat them and am trying to loose weight. Might have to bake some to giveaway as pressies tho. Btw have looked at your original post and love the origami style packaging you used. :O)

• Jen January 20, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Jo. They do make lovely pressies :)

• Sue January 18, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I used the nigella recipe and made 3 batches. One with chunky thick cut marmalade ( don’t dismiss it till you tried it), glacé cherries and dark choc chunks, and finally lemon curd and white choc chips! …..all very nice xx

• Jen January 20, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Oh wow! What awesome suggestions-will add them to the post if that is ok Sue?
      With the lemon curd-do you just try and dollop it in so it stays in big bits, or mix it in completely?

• Sue January 20, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Just a good old dollop and hope for the best, I have since added dark choc chips to the lemon curd instead of white, and it takes on a whole new taste! Feel free to add to your post, hope everyone likes them xx

• vicki wilson January 18, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Nuts!! take out cocoa and put in choc chips and hazelnuts. yummmm!!

• KnitNell January 20, 2014 at 9:58 am

ok so now I’m hungry …….love the idea of the thick cut marmalade…. mmm. Also lovely idea for presents – homemade biscuits in a pretty jar – better than taking a bottle or wine to a dinner party.

• Jen January 20, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I took some round to a friends the other day in a large jam jar, and tied a bit of pretty fabric on to the top-low cat, super easy present!

• Screw Blue Monday! | My Make Do and Mend Year January 20, 2014 at 1:08 pm

[…] GIVE-buy someone a coffee, or make them some biscuits-I’ve seen a great post somewhere….oh yes, here 😉 […]

• Antonia January 21, 2014 at 8:08 am

Made these on Sunday. Went down a treat!

• Delicious Cookie Recipe and plans | mymoneysavingjourney January 23, 2014 at 5:05 pm

[…] and doing the school run) to look at some of the blogs I follow regularly. There I came across this post from the fantastic blog – My Make Do and Mend Year. OMG – I couldn’t get them out of my head. […]

• Rachel Coles February 19, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I made these cookies, they were totally yummy. (I’m a big fan of Nigella but don’t have that book). Thanks for the recommendation!

• The Great Energy Race Bake Off | My Make Do and Mend Year March 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

[…] in the mixer/bowl 1st, and then re-using the bowl without washing up (e.g. you could do a batch of plain biscuits, followed by cheesy feet, without causing too much […]

• 200+ Homemade Father’s Day Gift Ideas | My Make Do and Mend Year June 7, 2014 at 8:01 am

[…] 1. LOVING this “Daddy is a Cookie Monster” jar from City to Sticks (and if you need a cookie recipe-I have one that is really easy to adapt by adding Dad’s favourite ingredients, here) […]

• Waste Less Live More Week-Make It | My Make Do and Mend Year September 22, 2014 at 7:02 am

[…] and cake-make a batch of biscuits-my all time favourite recipe is this one here-I make a batch every week, and vary what I add to it to give a bit of […]