The Buy Nothing Project

February 5, 2014
Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 21.07.24

Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 21.07.24

I stumbled across this page whilst having a scroll through the most excellent Free Our Kids blog, all about Hattie and her family, and their year of buying nothing (at all, not even secondhand-crazy lady, fabulous project!) for their kids.

This project started in the good old US of A, and has now also got groups in Canada, Mexico and Australia.
AND the UK.
Because I have started the very first UK group in lil old Warminster :)

Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 21.20.01

The tagline on the website is “Buy Nothing, Give Freely, Share Creatively”, which kind of sums it up. The website also describes Buy Nothing Groups as “Random Acts of Kindness, all day long” :)
It differs from Freecycle and Freegle in that people can offer/ask for help, time, skills etc as well, and also ask for things they might need to borrow, or indeed offer equipment that they would be willing to loan out.
So I guess it is similar to Streetbank, but using Facebook as the platform, perhaps allows people to interact with it more regularly and instantly (rather than having to log on to a separate website).

Basically, it is trying to encourage a hyper-local Gifting Economy. Here is a bit I have borrowed from the website, that explains it better than me!

“Our local groups form gift economies that are complementary and parallel to local cash economies; whether people join because they’d like to quickly get rid of things that are cluttering their lives, or simply to save money by getting things for free, they quickly discover that our groups are not just another free recycling platform. A gift economy’s real wealth is the people involved and the web of connections that forms to support them. Time and again, members of our groups find themselves spending more and more time interacting in our groups, finding new ways to give back to the community that has brought humor, entertainment, and yes, free stuff into their lives. The Buy Nothing Project is about setting the scarcity model of our cash economy aside in favor of creatively and collaboratively sharing the abundance around us.”
Some weird and wonderful things have been gifted, as well as some more mundane things: “everything from toilet paper roll springs to rides home from the doctor; burial sites for beloved pets to freshly-baked bread and casseroles have been given freely”

I’m really excited by this, and think it would be pretty cool to have a network of Buy Nothing Projects springing up across the UK.
It is super easy to do-you just contact the very friendly, frighteningly (in a good way) efficient Liesl, she sets you up a page, you read the ‘rules’ and make sure you are happy, and off you go!
Already, in 24 hours, the Buy Nothing Warminster page has nearly 30 members, I have arranged to meet up with a new mum, who is new to the area for coffee tomorrow, and have given away 3 jars of my ‘rustic chop’ marmalade :)

So how about it-anyone else a Buy Nothing Group in their town?!

• fashionforlunch February 5, 2014 at 9:31 pm

i feel like every day i try…. http://www.fashionforlunch.net

• Katy February 5, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I love the idea of skill shares and exchange rather than money changing hands… we’re not used to that in our society today. It almost needs a bit of brainstorming in communities to get this working.

• Jen February 6, 2014 at 10:49 pm

I think it is the skill share/gifting bit that excites me, rather than any money saving aspect. I really hope it takes off :)

• Verity February 6, 2014 at 2:33 am

The Buy Nothing New Project is such a great initiative and offers so many awesome opportunities for environmental conservation, social cohesion and creative sharing. Great job on starting a group in the UK. I’m off to join the Aus group:)

• Jen February 6, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Yay!

• Shelley Schwinn February 6, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Hi Verity :-) would love to have you join the inaugural Australian group to observe its growth, we’ve launched the first Buy Nothing group in South Australia … you can find me on facebook or ‘ping’ me on the Buy Nothing Project Page there so we can set things up,

• Verity February 6, 2014 at 2:34 am

Sorry – the ‘Buy Nothing Project’ – not BNN!

• Jen February 6, 2014 at 10:48 pm

:) Buy Nothing New is also a great project too!

• lindaswildlifegarden February 6, 2014 at 6:53 am

Reblogged this on Linda's wildlife garden and commented:
    sounds good to me

• Buy Nothing Projects | The Fearse Family February 15, 2014 at 3:16 am

[…] you are m.i.s.s.i.n.g o.u.t! I recently learned about the Buy Nothing projects through an entry on My Make Do and Mend Year. The Buy Nothing Facebook groups are a little like local buy/swap/sell groups, except everything on […]

• Line ‘em Up… | My Make Do and Mend Year March 28, 2014 at 7:01 am

[…] your wonderful Buy Nothing Group if anyone has any blankets/fleecy material that might be suitable, and be suitably grateful and […]

• The Big Lunch Resourceful Week #3 | My Make Do and Mend Year April 30, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] on the rise right now, and there are groups springing up all over the place. You may remember me blogging about the Buy Nothing Project a while back, and my excitement at setting up the first ever UK Buy Nothing […]

• Dress Hack Advice Please! | My Make Do and Mend Year June 11, 2014 at 7:00 am

[…] I was lucky enough to receive this lovely dress last week via our Buy Nothing Group […]

• Top 10 Posts of 2014 | My Make Do and Mend Year January 7, 2015 at 7:02 am

[…] The Buy Nothing Project I discovered the Buy Nothing Project early on in 2014, and promptly set up the 1st UK Buy Nothing […]