Dead Bread

April 11, 2014

I have posted couple of times about the great Live Better site from the Guardian.
Last month was all about food waste, and the challenge was to go a whole week without producing any food waste.
Now, I think we are pretty hot on food waste. I take a perverse pride in using up all our leftovers, and the only things that usually make it into our Green Johanna are the veg peelings and egg shells etc.
BUT then when I actually stopped and thought about it, the Smalls do seem to be able to generate some kind of  toast crust/half eaten roll mountain in a surprisingly short space of time, and I had just been adding this to our hot composter and feeling ok as it wasn’t going in the bin. But actually, it is still perfectly edible. It just needs a bit of Make Do and Mend magic.

So I decided that in order to go zero food waste for a week, I would collect up all these odds and sods and bung them all in a freezer bag as they were left on the plates.
And it mounted up at an alarming rate.
I have two bags-one for savoury stuff-toast or rolls with marmite/bovril/peanut butter etc, and one for sweet-bits of hot cross bun, leftover bits of muffin etc.

Once the savoury bag was getting full, I decided to experiment with my Dead Cake Pudding recipe to see if I could make a savoury Dead Bread Pudding.
And I can! AND it is edible. In fact, better than edible, pretty yummy 🙂

This is what you need:

• Dead bread (see above)-about 400-500g
    Dead Bread1
  • 600ml milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • If you felt a little bit crazy, you could add grated cheese/wholegrain mustard/sauteed onions

This is what you do:

• Bung your dead bread (frozen or otherwise) into a mixer and blitz into breadcrumbs (you can omit this stage if you want)
  • Mix together the milk and beaten eggs in a jug
  • Pour over the bread chunks and leave to soak in for ‘a bit’
  • Grease a baking tray-I used our brownie tray which is about 20cmx15cm
  • Transfer the mix to the tray. At this point you can top with some grated cheese if you like that sort of thing (and frankly, who doesn’t?)
    Dead Bread3
  • Pre-heat the oven if you feel the need, or just whack it all in cold and then turn on the oven and cook for a few minutes longer
  • Cook for ‘some time’. I think it was about 45 minutes at 180C
  • Remove from the oven and eat. We had ours with baked beans, and it was the ultimate comfort food!
    Needless to say that in the excitement of getting tea actually out of the oven, on the table and into hungry mouths, I forgot to take a pic of the actual cooked thing. It looked awesome. You will have to take my word for that…
  • And if you have leftovers from your leftovers, I am reliably informed by hubby, that it is very nice cold for lunch the next day!

I plan to do the same thing but with some added sugar and dried fruit etc with the ‘Sweet’ bag, and make a more traditional Bread Pudding, but suffice it to say that I am very pleased with my new addition to my Zero Food Waste arsenal!

• Reply Waste Not Want Not-leftover risotto | March 16, 2015 at 3:28 pm

[…] correspondence we ended exchanging our favourite zero-waste recipes. I sent Bibi the link to my Dead Bread recipe, and Bibi sent me a fabulous recipe for Baked Rice, from an Italian Vegetarian Cookery book by […]

• Reply Andree Frieze February 20, 2015 at 6:57 am

Reblogged this on Action Against Apathy and commented:
    Brilliant. Now I know what to do with the seemingly endless crusts and breadcrumbs filling up my freezer.

• Reply Jen February 20, 2015 at 10:28 am

Thankyou! And thanks so much for sharing 🙂

• Reply siobhanadmin February 18, 2015 at 10:21 am

I made this a few weeks ago and I think my husband was a bit perturbed to keep coming across bits of peanut butter etc. So now I cut the crusts off in advance of toasting the bread and pop them in the freezer – DS now eats all his toast and I can make bread pudding or Jack Monroe’s tomato and bread soup all I like!

• Reply Jen February 20, 2015 at 10:31 am

Oooh tomato and bread soup sounds great-I’ll have a look for the recipe!

• Reply Waste Not Want Not-leftover risotto | My Make Do and Mend Year February 18, 2015 at 7:11 am

• Reply joelleharris September 7, 2014 at 5:57 am

sounds delicious, I could use up those odd bits of sourdough bread that I put in my freezer. Since we have chickens, I am always looking for more egg recipes!

• Reply Jen September 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Lucky thing having chickens!

• Reply Zero Waste Week-Day 5 | My Make Do and Mend Year September 5, 2014 at 8:14 pm

[…] to freezing the crusts, along with any half eaten bits of toast or roll, and then making them into Dead Bread Pudding when I have enough. I have a savoury bag and a sweet bag in the freezer-don’t muddle them […]

• Reply 10 things I do that I suspect might make me a bit weird… | My Make Do and Mend Year June 29, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] 2) Freezing bread crusts and half-eaten rolls. The Smalls have that annoying Small child thing where they seem to find it impossible to eat crusts. There is a veritable crust mountain in our house. Every day. So I now freeze them all in a bag, along with half eaten sandwiches and toast, and when there is enough, I make a savoury version of Bread Pudding . […]

• Reply Kim Carberry May 22, 2014 at 7:41 pm

What a great idea….I always cut the crusts off and they go into the bin! I think I might have to try this 🙂

• Reply Jen May 22, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I got so fed up with the crust mountain the kids were generating! I was really surprised how quickly it built up

• Reply vickymyerscreations May 22, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Visiting #thriftythursday link party guests – look where I ended up!!

• Reply Jen May 22, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Hello! *waves*

• Reply Kirsty - Hijacked by Twins May 22, 2014 at 11:29 am

My hubby loves it when we have leftover bread as I make bread and butter puddings. I also add any fruit which may have seen better days! x #ThriftyThursdays

• Reply Jen May 22, 2014 at 5:44 pm

What a great idea! I do a sweet version too, with ground cinnamon and raisins 🙂

• Reply ginacaro May 22, 2014 at 10:32 am

What a great idea for leftover bread. Thank you for linking up to #ThriftyThursday 🙂

• Reply Jen May 22, 2014 at 10:54 am

I do a sweet version too! Loving #ThriftyThursday-great idea!

• Reply Kitchen-Counter-Culture April 16, 2014 at 9:13 pm

There’s so much to do with “dead bread.” I enjoy resurrection 🙂 : http://kitchencounterculture121.wordpress.com/2014/03/29/and-bread-begat-bread-and-pizza-and-cake/

• Reply Jen April 18, 2014 at 9:02 am

Brillo! Thanks for the link 🙂

• Reply mehubbyandthekids April 13, 2014 at 5:26 pm

My kids leave an awful lot of crusts, small pieces of toast etc. this would be a great idea. I will be borrowing this. Thank you x

• Reply caterinacate April 11, 2014 at 10:54 am

Another way is to soak the dead bread overnight in milk (dairy or vegetable, I used soya) then mash up with egg and spices and mix with any cooked vegetable leftovers, chopped onions, herbs, grated cheese, bits of bacon, cooked bits of meat, sausage, anything cooked leftover, really! Then bake, it is like a savoury bread pudding. I used to make this with broccoli and onions for dinner when the children were little, as a main course savoury,and all the family loved it. Not made it for a long time now, mind you, but this post just made me think of making one again, thank you!

• Reply Jen April 11, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Sounds delicious! Another one on the list to try 🙂

• Reply KnitNell April 11, 2014 at 6:56 am

Egg, bread and cheese, toasted or roasted … mmmm, you just can’t go wrong – you could line the dish first with cherry tomatoes and the soaked bread on top – then you would get a nice contrast with flavours and texture.

• Reply Jen April 11, 2014 at 7:32 am

Oooh yes, that is genius! Will definitely try that next time, Thankyou 🙂

• Reply Vivienne Downes April 11, 2014 at 6:10 am

I’ve had cold pudding for breakfast in place of cereal when we had to watch the pennies, remember the £1 a day challenge ?

• Reply Jen April 11, 2014 at 7:31 am

Would make a lovely breakfast actually, maybe with a poached or fried egg on top 🙂