And then he was 3…

April 23, 2014

Crikey, SmallSmall is 3!
How did that happen?!

Even though the official Make Do and Mend Year has finished, we are still very much living by the ethos of it. So in keeping with that, SmallSmall had some ‘Pre-loved’ presents from the charity shop (and he was none the wiser!)

Fire engine-£2

Fire engine-£2

Fire engine wellies-these were still in the box and look pretty much brand new- £5

Construction site jigsaw book-and all the pieces are still there! £3

Construction site jigsaw book-and all the pieces are still there! £3

Even my brother and his wife got into the swing of the secondhand presents, and found a Thomas jigsaw set, and a couple of books

image

I hired a Number 3 cake tin from our local hardware/cake decorating shop, for £3, and made the most enormous cake ever

Another 31

Imagine this, covered in icing, with chocolate fingers around the edge, and topped with Smarties-a 3 year olds dream! (the pictures are stuck only dad's camera at the mo!)

Imagine this, covered in icing, with chocolate fingers around the edge, and topped with Smarties-a 3 year olds dream! (the pictures are stuck only dad’s camera at the mo!)

Along with number 3 biscuits, and the best ever jelly 🙂

An army of 3's...

An army of 3’s…

Not sure how long we will be able to get away with pre-loved, low cost birthdays, but we are making the most of it while it lasts!

• Reply tiasmum12 April 25, 2014 at 7:07 am

This sound amazing, I can’t wait to see a finished picture of the cake. You’ll have to tweet it when you get it. I love the idea of pre loved, I pick up a few bits here and there during the year, I’ve not thought to do it for birthdays though. Fab idea.

• Reply Jen April 25, 2014 at 8:54 am

Will remind my dad to see if he can e-mail it to me!

• Reply KaraKara April 25, 2014 at 6:28 am

I have a nine year old daughter, and she is fine with low key and second hand. We’ve found that she’s happiest when she gets fewer gifts, but she is also old enough to understand a bit of economics. We favor experiences over physical gifts, high quality and durability. The key is knowing, honestly, what would make your child’s heart sing.

• Reply Jen April 25, 2014 at 8:54 am

Wise words, thank you!

• Reply Sue Parrott April 23, 2014 at 2:13 pm

What a great 3rd birthday for smallsmall! I bet he loved every moment of the prezzies and cake. My 4 all had Xmas and birthday prezz from jumble sales and charity shops….you get so much more for your money which is a bonus. Good wipe with a cloth and disinfectant (no disposable wipes years ago) and you’re good to go! Kids have no comprehension of costs and values, they just love the presents wherever they came from. I think you have a few more years before the little ones start to question your purchases. Love to birthday boy x

• Reply Jen April 23, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Sue 🙂

• Reply KathrynH April 23, 2014 at 10:18 am

Great presents and I LOVE the idea of hiring a birthday cake tin!

• Reply Jen April 23, 2014 at 10:45 am

It’s great isn’t it?! No point buying one if you are only going to use it once!

• Reply lizlovingandlearning April 23, 2014 at 7:27 am

ps Happy Birthday smallsmall

• Reply Jen April 23, 2014 at 10:45 am

Thankyou 🙂

• Reply lizlovingandlearning April 23, 2014 at 7:27 am

What a brilliant 3rd birthday to get. Would any of us know the presents were from a charity shop if we weren’t told? As the smalls get older it may be that they are still happy to get pre-loved when they realise that for the same amount of money spent they can have either smaller/less new or bigger/more used. Or higher spec but slightly older technology. etc. Of course they may prefer quality to quantity (entirely in the spirit of the thing of course!)

• Reply Jen April 23, 2014 at 10:46 am

I am sure it will get tougher as they get older, and want the latest trainers/computer game etc. But I plan to hold out for as long as possible!