No, not the Hokey Cokey, Hokey Pokey.
I can’t remember what the other name is for it-this is Nigella’s name, and I like it, and it’s her recipe, so I’m sticking with it! Basically, it’s a bit like the stuff on the inside of a Crunchie Bar.
I made some last week, as a thank you, to send back with the energy monitor that Rugby Friends of the Earth super kindly lent me to use during the Great Energy Race.
I should warn you that this actually, properly makes your teeth ache it is so sweet. Which might not be a bad thing, as long as you only have small bits of it at a time…
This is what you need:
- 100g caster sugar
- 4x15ml tbsps golden syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
This is what you do:
- Put the sugar and the syrup in a pan and stir together (it won’t mix very well/completely, but give it a shove around)
- Place the pan on the heat, and then RESIST the urge to stir it while it is on the heat
- It will melt, and then after about 3 or 4 minutes, it should be a ‘bubbling mass the colour of maple syrup’
- This is the best bit-if you have kids-go get them now to come and help/watch. Take the pan off the heat, and whisk in the bicarb-it swooshes up and looks pretty cool
- Immediately pour this onto some greased foil, or some reusable baking lining things
- Leave to set
and then bash into chunks.
Needless to say, I forgot to take a pic of it all packaged up in it’s cleverly recycled chocolate box, ready to be posted….
Enjoy! And don’t say I didn’t warn you about the achey teeth.