Re-Discovering

May 26, 2014

I have been having a bit of a sort-out.
I am grudgingly coming to the realisation that the Tidy-Up Fairy is not going to come round, and that maybe, after all this time, it is down to me to keep the place looking vaguely ship-shape. I am slightly ashamed that it has taken me until the grand old age of 36 to work this out, but there it is.

Soooooo, last weekend, I tackled the study/craft room, and also the spare room.
I have blogged about the spare room before (cripes, that makes me sound uber-dull). Every few months the mess gets too much, I have a blitz and tidy up, and then it slowly degenerates again.
This time, I was on a mission to sort out and de-clutter my fabric stash. You may all be able to think of far more fun, far more outdoors-y ways to spend the hottest day of the year so far, but for some reason, my mind was adamant that that was what I was going to be doing, and these mind-sets don’t come along very often in my world, so I went with it.

And the unexpected bonus was that I re-discovered all sorts of gorgeous fabric that I had forgotten about:

My Yellow Florals Collection!

My Yellow Florals Collection!

This was a pair of curtains, and I like the pattern and the funky colour :)

This was a pair of curtains, and I like the pattern and the funky colour 🙂

There's something about these swirls….

There’s something about these swirls….

Some gorgeous organic cotton

Some gorgeous organic cotton

Lots of people seem to have had this in their bedrooms in the '70s. It is one of my faves, and has featured heavily in my homemade pressies for girls!

Lots of people seem to have had this in their bedrooms in the ’70s. It is one of my faves, and has featured heavily in my homemade pressies for girls!

I LOVE this Magic roundabout fabric-almost too much, as I can't figure out what to make with it that would do it justice!

I LOVE this Magic roundabout fabric-almost too much, as I can’t figure out what to make with it that would do it justice!

I also unearthed a couple of fabric doilies-anyone else got a mild doily obsession?

So now I have remembered that I have all this gorgeous fabric, I just need to decide what to make with it all….
Any suggestions gratefully received!

• Reply Back in the Saddle | My Make Do and Mend Year June 30, 2014 at 8:59 am

[…] What I really want to do is to start having a go at making some more of my own clothes. The only things I have done before from scratch have been heavily supervised, but I want to develop the confidence to start making my very own wardrobe full of my own creations (and it will give me a chance to start using some of my fabric stash..!) […]

• Reply Drawer to Bookshelf! | My Make Do and Mend Year June 16, 2014 at 7:01 am

[…] they would come in handy!) and deco patched the sides and then top. I then went back to my (still) tidy fabric stash, and picked out one of my favourites, to use on the back. (If you’re interested, I used Mod […]

• Reply Charlotte Clark May 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm

You could dye the doilies to give them a new life, or mould them onto an up-turned bowl using starch or similar to make a pretty bowl.

• Reply Jen May 29, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I’ve seen a great doily bowl somewhere on Pinterest, will try and track it down-Thankyou!

• Reply Frankie Carson May 27, 2014 at 8:12 am

Those yellow florals are lovely , and yes I have a doily obsession as well!!!! x
    Frankie

• Reply Jen May 29, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Good to know it’s not just me!

• Reply joelleharris May 26, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I particularly love your ‘was a pair of curtains’. Like you I struggle to decide to cut into the fabrics I love the most (might have a better use for it later?). Just having a bit of a clear out myself (just…don’t tell anyone about the 30 balls of crochet cotton I got at the car boot sale this morning!) I’m 51 – and never learn either.

• Reply Jen May 29, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Oh wow! Have you got plans for the crochet cotton, or was it just too good a bargain to pass up?

• Reply KayElleC May 26, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Love the doily…..would get something plain to mount the doily and then edge the panel with some of your flowery stuff, make a back and handles for the flowery stuff and treat yourself to a nice summery tote! (Or somewhere to stash stash!! 😉 ) Magic roundabout cushions? Fussy cut your organic…very in!

I’m like you…the clutter hacks me of…I have a mad blitz, I actually think I’m putting things AWAY (haha!) as I work and it slowly degenerates into a jumble sale!!!! I’m 48 and never learn!!! Think FlyLady!! 😉

Can’t wait to see what you come up with and good luck with your piles (of stuff!)

xx

• Reply Jen May 29, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Thankyou! What is fussy cut..?

• Reply Tracy May 26, 2014 at 10:12 am

The organic cotton would make a gorgeous bag. I would make a dress out of the magic roundabout and cushion covers out of the green swirls they would look fab on my purple sofa, am very jealous of your fabric collection, I used to have a huge one but for some reason stopped sewing and got rid 10 years ago have come to my senses and restarted recently and hope to build a fabric stash up.

• Reply Jen May 29, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I find it so hard to rationalise my stash, as I know that as soon as I do, I will NEED the fabric I just got rid of!

• Reply nicola baird May 26, 2014 at 9:10 am

If you ever get a puppy it will destroy things – some will then have to go! others will need repairing so you may not even have enough in your material stash…. I’m older than you and notice that I spend my tidy ups repairing stuff – bedsheets and curtains are particularly keen on ripping at the moment. I really like mending them with contrasting patches from material I love (especiallyl curtains). Also are you properly insulated yet? Apparently 3 layers of curtain works as well from an energy-efficiency point of view as double glazing.

• Reply Jen May 29, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Thanks Nicola, that’s really interesting re the insulated curtains. How do you repair your be sheets? Ours have got really thin in the middle, and a hole has just appeared. Hubby pulled a face when I mentioned repairing them, and seems to think it will make it uncomfortable…

• Reply kimroper2010 May 26, 2014 at 8:44 am

What a gorgeous collection of fabrics. What about Magic roundabout round floor cushions! And a floral covered pin board?

• Reply Jen May 29, 2014 at 8:15 pm