Happy Stuff!

Fancy a Cuppa..?

June 27, 2014

I mentioned a little while back that I was doing a blogging course with the awesome Pip Lincolne from Meet Me at Mikes.
It has now finished, and has been RAD (that’s one of Pip’s words-I had forgotten about ‘rad’, but now I’ve been reminded, I intend to use it moreโ€ฆ)

She has invited all the Blog With Pip graduates to write a post to go on a linky thing on her site-the instructions are simple
“Blog With Pip May students are invited to write a post about themselves detailing FIVE THINGS you are loving right now (and a little bit about YOU!)”

So here goes!

I am Jen.
I love in Wiltshire in the UK with the lovely hubby, and two rapidly growing Smalls (BigSmall and SmallSmall). The Smalls are both boys, leaving me battling the female corner, and fiddling lots of questions about willies, and my lack thereof.
We have two slightly annoying cats called Nigella and Clarissa. Nigella is more annoying.
We have a 76 year old tortoise called Speedy, who lives in a converted dog kennel.

Speedy house finished1
The latest additions to the Make Do and Mend house are Arthur and Gus, our two guinea pigs, who live in a converted sideboard.
Guinea Pig3

I started blogging when we undertook a challenge to go a year Buying Nothing New, which opened my eyes to a whole awesome world of Make Do and Mend, thrift, zero waste, swishing, Repair Cafes, charity shops, flea markets and more!

5 THINGS I AM LOVING RIGHT NOW

1) It’s 7.45pm and the Smalls are in bed, and actually appear to be asleep! #peaceandquiet

2) Earl Grey tea in a proper tea pot

5 things1

3) It’s Thursday night which means it’s my weekly #makedoandmendhour Twitter chat-so many wonderful people flying the flag for Make Do and Mend, and sharing all their wonderful ideas and tips

4) We offerred to look after our neighbour’s chickens while they are away, so now have free eggs for the next few days! And the Smalls get to go and pick fresh eggs out of the hen house ๐Ÿ™‚

5 things21

5) My elderflower and almond cake-should be some left for a cheeky slice with my cuppa!

I’m off to link up on Pip’s blog, and to check out all the other great posts that have linked up too.
What are 5 things you are loving right now? Post yours below!

• Reply blondiebythesea July 10, 2014 at 11:04 am

I just looked it up. There is only one that I found in NSW. Hmmmm may be i could open one? Jo xx

• Reply Jen July 10, 2014 at 11:27 am

YES!!! That would be soooooooo awesome. There is loads of info on the Repair Cafe website (http://repaircafe.org)
      Let me know if you decide to go for it, and I am more than happy to be on hand for virtual advice!

• Reply blondiebythesea July 4, 2014 at 5:21 am

Wow how cool are those animal homes. I’m intrigued by repair cafes. Love you list. Jo xx

• Reply Jen July 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Jo! Are there any Repair Cafes in Oz do you know?

• Reply blondiebythesea July 10, 2014 at 11:01 am

I’m going to have to look then up Jen. I haven’t got there yet. Jo xx

• Reply Julie June 29, 2014 at 11:44 am

So much to love about this post! (For starters your sweet “names” for your kids & the repurposed accomm for your pets…) Shall def’ be back for more ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Jen June 29, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Reply jenjo22 June 29, 2014 at 2:03 am

Gosh that tortoise sure is having a good long life. Your pets have such fabulous accomodation

• Reply Jen June 29, 2014 at 8:09 am

Thankyou! All hubby’s work ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Naomi Bulger June 28, 2014 at 8:39 am

So many things to love in this list and in your lifestyle. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Jen June 28, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for popping by Naomi!

• Reply joelleharris June 27, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I’m loving:
    My elderflower cordial, bottled today
    A good crop of rocket in the garden
    Going to New Designers in London tomorrow
    Sewing a dress from scratch for my SiL
    Being at home more (uni. holidays)

• Reply Jen June 27, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Would love to see some pics of the dress when it’s finished Joelle!
      What are you doing at uni?
      See, what a great way to learn new things about people!

• Reply tartancookbook June 27, 2014 at 11:23 am

1. Sound like a broken record but the plarn dish scrubbie I made! Get things clean, rinses better than green supermarket ones and was free!
    2. The 1930’s wardrobes we got for ยฃ10 EACH! So cool! Photos to follow on Twitter soon.
    3. The boys picking the wild strawberries in our garden.
    4. Loving that my younger brother has his “bounce” back after a tough few years.
    5. The smell of the glorious roses in my garden, right beside where I hang my washing, deep breathing every time I hang it out!

๐Ÿ™‚

Ps. Not loving having totally missed #makedoandmendhour last night! ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Jen June 27, 2014 at 8:05 pm

We missed you!
      Sounds like you have been doing loads of Making Do and Mending to fill us in with next week though ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply sandyfaithking June 27, 2014 at 10:56 am

1. I am loving getting better, albeit slowly, having been ill for a l o n g time.
    2. I am loving my studies with the OU.
    3. I am loving the fact that we are finally nearing completion on a wonderful house that will be our own instead of rented.
    4. I am loving my cleaning lady, who we finally decided to employ a few months ago. We refer to her as the Blessed St. Molly.
    5. I am loving my family – my husband is wonderful and I love how my kids are growing up. I’m so proud of them!

• Reply Jen June 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm

So glad to hear you are feeling better Sandy. Sounds like life is on the up for you ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Karen Bentley-Brown June 27, 2014 at 8:54 am

I’m loving:

1. Our new rescue dog “Honey”, a collie whippet cross. She’s SO sweet,

2. Working freelance, from home, with “Honey” sleeping in her bed next to my desk.

3. The new TV programme “This Old Thing” – great to see what you can do with vintage clothes

4. Reading Roger Deakin’s book “Wildwood” – a must if you like trees!

5. It’s Friday and the sun is shining! Need I say more?

• Reply Jen June 27, 2014 at 10:50 am

Honey sounds fab! In fact, it all sounds pretty idyllic ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Donna Scott June 27, 2014 at 8:52 am

I am loving…

1. White strawberries from our garden. They are the most fragrant and sweet strawberries I think I’ve ever tried. If only we could find some red cream to eat them with!
    2. Aujourd’hui je suis francaise! Lunch is rabbit terrine, a holiday gift from my brother, on a rye boule, reduced to 10p in Asda, spread with real butter, topped with crisp lettuce, which I think the rabbit would appreciate. A very low cost lunch, too.
    3. Books. I have splurged on 4 books this month, downloaded some freebies on my Kindle and sneaked in some temptations from the library. My summer reading is set. Most looking forward to reading a children’s book – Frances Hardinge’s A Face Like Glass, because she is eccentric and lovely.
    4. The freedom my bike gives me – time and weather pending, I’m going to a country fete on Saturday. Fingers crossed!
    5. The community vibe in my town at the moment is amazing – there’s so much going

• Reply Jen June 27, 2014 at 10:51 am

Wow Donna, that all sounds great! I didn’t even know there was such a thing as white strawberries ๐Ÿ™‚
      So many lovely things, and nearly all of them free (or very low cost!) Go you ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Becky A June 27, 2014 at 11:20 am

Frances Hardinge is an old friend of mine from university and I know she would be thrilled to be described as eccentric and lovely!

• Reply Jen June 27, 2014 at 8:06 pm

What a great co-incidence!

• Reply donnerscott June 29, 2014 at 10:34 am

Wow small internet! ๐Ÿ™‚ FH is great – she’s very funny and has some natty hats!

Sadly, didn’t go to the fete yesterday as it was far too stormy, so went to my favourite secondhand and vintage store in Northampton – Most Marvellous – and we treated ourselves to a yummy lemon meringue pie cake (it’s a pie, meringue and a cake!).

• Reply Jen June 29, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Sounds delicious!

• Reply lindaswildlifegarden June 27, 2014 at 8:48 am

I am loving
    1 re starting a new sourdough starter

2 slowly harvesting crops from the garden

3 going to have a hair cut tomorrow as not done for nearly 5 years

4 made a banana and chard tea loaf

5 spending time with my other half

• Reply Jen June 27, 2014 at 10:51 am

Oooh, enjoy your haircut! Have you got your pics all ready to show the hairdresser what you want?!

• Reply lindaswildlifegarden June 27, 2014 at 8:44 am

Reblogged this on Linda's wildlife garden and commented:
    Awesome up date Jen thank you for sharing have a blessed weekend

• Reply Becky A June 27, 2014 at 6:31 am

I am loving…

1. Getting up an hour before my baby and my partner – lots of time to catch up on blogs etc.

2. A bit of rain overnight – I don’t have to water the veg garden today!

3. I remembered to make a big jug of iced herbal tea last night – I have iced spearmint and chamomile tea to drink all day. I feel pretty smug about being that organised.

4. My new yoghurt maker – I scored a vintage 70s yoghurt maker (just like my Mum used to use!) in a charity shop yesterday. This weekend we’ll be making yoghurt.

5. Potatoes – this weekend I’ll be digging up our first crop of new potatoes from the veg patch. Can’t wait!

• Reply Jen June 27, 2014 at 10:52 am

Yoghurt maker sounds amazing-let us know how you get on!
      I love that everybody’s 5 things give a little snapshot of their lives, and they all sound pretty damn awesome!