Making

Homemade Cheese Straws

July 20, 2014
Cheese straws4

Whilst on our way back from town the other day, SmallSmall spied the jaunty red awning of a certain High St baker, and asked for a cheese straw.
For some unknown reason, instead of saying “Yes” and handing over 60p an having a contented child (for five minutes), I responded with “Noooo, you don’t want one of those, we’ll go home and make some cheese straws”!. Which sounds great, but when you are 3, and you want a cheese straw, having to wait an hour or two to get one, is really not so great. Foolish mummy.

Anyway, we went home, and I did attempt to improvise cheese straws, all the while fending off repeated “Are they ready yet”s.
In short, these are not the sort of thing to attempt with a hungry and impatient 3 year old, but they are pretty yummy…

This is what you need:

• 500g puff pastry-I made some-250g plain flour, pulsed with 250g cold butter-you should still be able to see lumps of butter. Add small amounts cold water and stir together with a knife until it comes together. Shape into a round, and put in the fridge for 1hr
    Cheese straws1
  • Grated cheese-I can’t remember how much, maybe 10-200g?

This is what you do:

• Roll out your puff pastry¬†into a rough rectangle and sprinkle with grated cheese
    Cheese straws2
  • Fold into thrids (like an A4 letter), roll again, and sprinkle with more cheese
  • Fold into thirds, roll again and fold into thirds again
  • Chill for 1hr
  • Pre-heat the oven to 180C
  • Roll out until it’s ‘quite thin’ (a couple of mm), and then cut into slices about 3cm wide
  • Place the strips onto a lined baking sheet, and then sprinkle with yet more cheese
    Cheese straws4
  • Bake in the oven for 10-15mins until risen and golden
  • Wait a couple of minutes before devouring otherwise you will burn your mouth…

These are delicious, and taste “like the ones from the bakers”-high praise from the Smalls…!
I have frozen some too, and am pleased to report that they seem to withstand this well.

• Charlotte Clark July 20, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Every childhood should have memories of cheese straws.

• Mary Dawson July 21, 2014 at 3:49 am

Did you freeze before or after cooking?

• Becky A July 21, 2014 at 6:02 am

Lovely – this is really interesting as I posted my own experiments with cheese straws recently and they are completely different.

Mine uses shortcrust pasty and a little mustard powder and the cheese is mixed in with the dough. I’m going to have to try both and get the family to vote on their favourite.

• Vivienne Downes July 21, 2014 at 6:47 am

Not just for the little ones … They are great with a glass of wine :o)

• lindaswildlifegarden July 21, 2014 at 11:00 am

Reblogged this on Linda's wildlife garden and commented:
    Awesome and thank you for sharing

• Karolyn July 21, 2014 at 4:33 pm

My Nana was always asked to make the cheese straws for fundraisers/whist drives/charity dos in the village – I remember grating the cheese for her…in a washing up bowl, such was the quantity!! Oh my aching arms!! ūüėČ

• Daddy Fix it July 21, 2014 at 8:05 pm

They were truly awsome!!!! More please

• Angel Jem July 28, 2014 at 10:09 am

Are they ready yet? Can I have some? Are we there yet?

Seriously, these look great. I think I need some cheese straws for a picnic tomorrow.

• Love Your Leftovers‚Ķ. | My Make Do and Mend Year December 29, 2014 at 3:52 pm

[…] Turkey and ham pie-make a white sauce, mix it with some diced up left-over veg, turkey and/or ham, and top with rough puff (quick and easy recipe here) […]