Here’s this weeks round-up of our #makedoandmendhour Twitter chat-every Thursday 8-9pm!
Pics we shared:
1. Beautifully painted and re-vamped furniture from @petitmiracles
2. Another great example of what lick of paint can do to an item-I LOVE the painted shelves! From @raebyrae
3. and 4. raebyrae works at REWORK London, and tweeted these before and after pics of a chair being ‘re-loved’ It was sprayed by one of their volunteers, and was his 1st attempt-what a great job!
5. @CarlaTROATSblog tweeted this pic of her trainers, to ask if anyone had any ideas for how to repair the hole in the heel are on the inside
6. @mrsmacscrochet came up with the idea of using these blister plasters on the shoe, to cover the hole 🙂
7. and 8. Some great Ikea hacks from @CarlaRTOATSblog-No.7 is a deco patched old duvet cover-what a great idea!
9. @DalkeyDan shared this photo of a microwave piccalilli recipe-great idea for energy saving whilst preserving
10. This is a photo of @DalkeyDans courgettes-grown in a pot on her 4th floor balcony! Puts my feeble gardening efforts to shame
11. Another gorgeous piece from @petitmiracles
12. @BB_CIW shared this photo of her old new speaker stand made from an old table
13. @randbdesigns teased is with this shot of a shirt hack
14. This is the full pic of the shirt hack from @randbdesigns
15. @BB_CIW and her hubby got tired of a piece of land being fly-tipped on, so they converted it into a communal veg plot, and now get all the kids from the street coming to help them tend it!
16. Some fabulous vintage cutlery jewellery from @therealjuicybug
Things we learned:
- The world is full of wonderful people! Hopefully this isn’t a new fact to most of us, but this week we had tweets from @petitmiracles (Petit Miracles) and @rarbyrae of REWORKLondon, both of which are social enterprises that upcycle old furniture, as well as training up people who need some getting back to work-win win!
AND we were shown how two people taking action in their own street, can make a huge impact, and create a whole new experience for the residents, just by making a veg patch out of an eyesore-hurrah for that!
- Picallilli can be made in the microwave. Here’s the pic again, but bigger if you want to see the recipe. @DalkeyDan says she used fresh veg instead of frozen
- Jam that hasn’t worked (been slightly burned, or not set etc) can be added to the pan when making chutney, and no one will be any the wiser!
- There is such thing as a ‘gravity fed air gun’ that you can use for spray painting, thereby eliminating the need for spray cans and all the nasty chemicals
- The Good Wardrobe are launching a new blog series called Make or Mend of the month, and are on the look-out for your Makes and Mends to share!
Links we shared:
- The Good Wardrobe’s Make or Mend of the month
- Make and Mend sessions at Sew Portobello with the lovely Daisy from Make, Thrift London
- Not just one, but two tutorials for making the umbrella skin shopping bags that @SueArcher6 shared with us last week. There’s one here, that I found while browsing another blog, and this is the one that Sue herself used.
Thanks, as ever, to everyone who came and joined in, and shared their photos and their wisdom!
I am starting up a ‘personal reminder service’ for people who want it-basically, I’ll tweet you half an hour before the start of #makedoandmendhour each week, so you don’t forget! Let me know if you want to be added to the list 🙂