Here we go with the round-up of this week’s #makedoandmendhour Twitter chat 🙂
Pics we shared:
1. Bargain 10p vintage pillowcases from a car boot! @Shelleykitten is going to use these for a patchwork quilt
2. @lovesusiestars found this canvas in the recycling bin, and hot-footed home with it, to turn it into…
3. This! A retro duvet cover later and @lovesusiestars has transformed it 🙂
4. @DalkeyDan is Making Do with her bright pink bathroom suite…
5. @Maker_of_Things make this bike trailer from a rucksack rack and some wheelchair wheels!
6. @SewingDude showed that old blankets and sheets can make fabulous dresses
7. @CarlaRTOATSblog shared that start of her bookcase upcycle-even the paper is Make Do and Mend!
8. Real life Make Do and Mend from @ahouswifeswork’s Mum, back in the day
9. @nikkiw76 has been raiding her Granny’s attic, and found this mixer-some bits still unused in the original box, and all still working
10. Brilliantly re-covered chairs from @littlemummy36
11. 1st attempt at knitting for @ahousewife’s work for 30years! And it’s a knitted dishcloth. We doesn’t love a knitted dishcloth?!
12. A magnificent stash of retro bed linen! @lovesusiestars making us all jealous
13. Great way to keep the kids amused during the holidays from @CarlaRTOATSblog-chalk board paint and salvaged wood
14. This very cute salvaged (re-homed!) tortoise has a new tortoise table made from salvaged wood and lino by @CountrySkills
15. @Vickymcreations has been turning her husband’s old shorts into3/4 length trousers for her son
16. This is a bike jig frame, cleverly made from an old drawing board frame by @Maker_of_Things
17. Microwave chocolate cake-cooking efficiency with @DalkeyDan
18. @BBWS_CIC shared their community street garden last week, and this is an update of how it’s going
19. The sign that the kids made from a For Sale board for the community garden in @BBWS_CIC’s street
20. and 21. Some beautiful hand stitching on this tablecloth from @nikkiw76
22. More brilliant finds from @nikkiw76 in Granny’s attic-this lovely pyrex
23. @Maker_of_Things has managed to ‘soup up’ his drill, saving himself from buying a new one
24. @MakeThriftLDN has been having a few upcycling lessons from the fab lot @petitmiracles
Things we learned:
- Sometimes hand-stitching beats machine sewing-more soothing and portable, especially when patch-working!
- Old napkins, sheets and blankets can all be great sources of fabric for dress-making-for the body of the dress, or for linings
- We love knitted or crocheted dishcloths, and t-shirt yarn would be a good thing to have a go with
- Mums and Nanas are fabulous sources of knowledge and inspiration
- @mommyemu has an old vintage Singer in her garage that is looking for a new home!
Links we shared:
- Dishcloth knitting from @ahousewifeswork
- Using jeans for patchwork
- @DalkeyDan is making some shorts from old t-shirts using this tutorial
- This is the tutorial that @vickymcreations is using to make her hubby’s old shorts into trousers for her son
- #makedoandmendhour stalwarts @SueArcher6 and @Maker_of_Things had a recycled wedding! And it was written up here
It was a busy week, and I struggled to keep up with all the tweets and pictures!
Do let me know if you want a personalised half hour reminder each week, so that you don’t miss out on all the fun 🙂