...Fashion, General ramblings

Trouser Bag

August 13, 2014

I made a bag. From trousers.

Round
I was planning on making this post into a tutorial, a ‘How-to’, as you would all be so dazzled by my fabulous upcycling, that you would be desperate to have a go yourselves…

Well, ermm, my planned trouser to bag upcycle did not go exactly to plan.
It looks ok from the outside-I used a pair of trousers that I was given on our Buy Nothing page, that were too small, and two ties from a charity shop, to make the body of the bag. So far so good.

Trouser bag1
Then I decided it needed lining, and in keeping with the other components of the bag, it should be lined with an old shirt. AND I could use the shirt breast pocket as a handy phone pocket for my bag. Genius!
Or it would be if I could measure/sew properly.
I made the lining too small, didn’t realise until I had nearly sewn it all in, had to unpick it all, had a strop and couldn’t face trying to sort it out for a couple of weeks. Then I decided I did still want a cool bag made from a pair of trousers, so I set the old grey matter to work, and decided to sew in a bit of old t-shirt to the gap in the shirt (as if a t-shirt was being worn under the shirt-clever hey?!).

Trouser bag3
So I did, and it kind of works.
Except it’s not lined up that well, and the pocket is waaaay off centre, and the whole bag is full of wonk.
But in the spirit of practising what I preach, I am embracing the wonk, and the bag, and I love it!

Embrace the wonk

• Reply Waste Less Live More-Discover It | My Make Do and Mend Year September 28, 2014 at 7:00 am

[…] Just a little bit of thinking outside the box can mean you can make new cardis from old jumpers;  bags from trousers; drawers into bookshelves; and even old sideboards into deluxe guinea pig […]

• Reply Zero Waste Week Day 3 | My Make Do and Mend Year September 3, 2014 at 3:57 pm

[…] I found a coat in a charity shop but didn’t like the buttons, so changed them-simples!4. My trousers to bag upcycle5. This one is from the very start of My Make Do and Mend Year, and again involved buttons. And […]

• Reply Viv August 22, 2014 at 6:42 am

Love this!!! Might try it out myself hehe. I found you on the Blog Yay forum and am so glad I did. Excited to read more of your posts. x

• Reply Jen August 22, 2014 at 7:07 am

Hi Viv!
      Thanks so much for dropping by. Will pop over and have a peek at your blog 🙂
      xx

• Reply Kath August 13, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I love it! The school I worked in a couple of years ago had an eco week and as the art teacher I came up with all sorts of recycle ideas, one of which was a bag from jeans. These have the added bonus of being made in different sizes depending on whether you use kids or adults jeans. If you use little girls jeans you can often get pretty embroidery around the pockets.

• Reply Jen August 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm

That sounds like a brilliant school project!

• Reply Angel Jem August 13, 2014 at 8:49 am

Embrace the Wonk! I love it! Our family cry is “Near enough for Jazz!”

• Reply Jen August 14, 2014 at 9:28 pm

What a great motto!

• Reply donnerscott August 13, 2014 at 8:32 am

That’s really good!

I saw a great idea for recycling men’s shirts into a dress or skirt in a craft book, and knew I had two shirts lying around ready to make into patches. Can I find them?

My craft room/office needs a serious declutter….

• Reply Jen August 14, 2014 at 9:29 pm

That sounds fab-do you have a link?
      I don’t know anyone who has a tidy craft room…!