...Kids, Happy Stuff!, Round Ups

10 Useful Uses for Conkers…

October 2, 2014

Conkers.

I love ’em.
I just can’t resist them. There is something so compulsive about finding them, and it seems to be impossible to leave them just lying there on the ground. Something about their shiny brown conkery-ness seems to compel me to pick them up. And then to look around for more, and more, and more. Until I have a bag full. And now I’m not really sure what to do with them..
I’d like to blame the Smalls, but I think really, I love conker-ing more than they do.

Obviously, one can play conkers. With or without hand guards, safer specs and any other H&S equipment you may feel is necessary.
And they are great for the kids to play with-they can use them in counting games, improve their dexterity by picking them up with tongs, or make them into very cute little creatures, (there are some fab ideas for the kids here) but I kind of want them for me-I found them, they’re mine 😉

So I thought I would try and compile a post of all things conkers, for grown ups.

Collage named
Thankyou to everyone who tweeted their ideas, or who left a comment on Facebook to help me out!

1. Pile them up in vases, with or without candles, to bring a spot of tasteful autumnal decor to your home!

In vases-pic credit Pinterest

Pic credit: Pinterest

Pic credit: Villa vanilla

Pic credit: Villa vanilla

2. Make a necklace-if it’s good enough for Vivienne Westwood, it’s good enough for me…!

Pic credit: The Evening Standard

Pic credit: The Evening Standard

3. Use them as light pulls!

I think this is actually a ceramic one, but it gives you the idea! Pic credit: Pinterest

I think this is actually a ceramic one, but it gives you the idea!
Pic credit: Pinterest

4. Make a conker heart

Pic credit: Pinterest

Pic credit: Pinterest

5. On a similar vein, make a conker wreath

Wreath 1

Pic credit: Pinterest

Pic credit: Pinterest

Pic credit: Pinterest

6. Conker words!

Pic credit: Fee Ist Mein Name

Pic credit: Fee Ist Mein Name

7. They are supposed to be as spider and moth deterrents-you can place them around doorways and windows, or put some in your drawers with your woollies-there is a great tutorial here on how to make some hanging conker moth repellant thingys

Pic credit: Wild Craft vita

Pic credit: Wild Craft vita

8. Apparently, you can make a tincture, which is supposed to help with varicose veins…

Photo credit: Natural Thrifty

Photo credit: Natural Thrifty

9. Or even Viking soap!

Photo credit: ehow

Photo credit: show

10. And finally, if you go really OTT collecting them, you might have enough for your very own Christmas tree (size dependant on how many conkers you have…!)

OK, so I know this one is with acorns, but give me a minute, and I'll knock up a conker one..! Photo credit: Design Happens

OK, so I know this one is with acorns, but give me a minute, and I’ll knock up a conker one..!
Photo credit: Design Happens

In case you hadn’t already guessed, I have set up a dedicated Pinterest board for all things conkers-check it out!
And leave a comment to let me know what you do with yours!

(Visited 7,312 times, 1 visits today)

• Reply All things Autumn!! AKA Awesome! – Simplelivinggsy September 2, 2016 at 8:57 am

[…] So, that’s pumpkins covered! onto conkers…so much fun!! when we were kids we used to have conker matches-YES! we still do-our Little Ones will one day be champs at conkers here are some really cool ideas to do with the Little Ones collections of conkers, if you’re anything like us it happens every year!! Also a really awesome looking article for uses for conkers with an older twist can be found here […]

• Reply Top 10 Posts of 2014 | My Make Do and Mend Year January 7, 2015 at 7:02 am

[…] 10 Useful Uses for Conkers I love conkers, and can’t resist picking them up whenever I see them lying there are shiny […]

• Reply Vikki Rose October 6, 2014 at 11:12 am

If you can bear to bury them I urge you to collect conkers, acorns, sweet chestnuts, spinning Jennies and anything else you can get your hand on to take part in this

Seed Gathering Season is Upon us! 23 September – 23 October 2014 Through this autumn The Tree Council aims to inspire everyone to gather seeds, fruits and nuts and grow the trees of the future. The festival starts on the 23 September (the autumn equinox, considered to be the first day of autumn) and continues until the 23 October, giving everyone plenty of days on which to gather some seeds.
    Growing trees from local seed can have great benefits in restocking areas with trees of local provenance. The concept of local provenance suggests that trees that are adapted to the local circumstances and so are likely to flourish and help restore, conserve and beautify local urban and rural spaces. Collecting seed and growing trees is also a great way to get children involved and start growing the next generation of tree enthusiasts. See http://www.treecouncil.org.uk/Take-Part/Seed-Gathering-Season for more information.

• Reply Jen October 10, 2014 at 7:18 pm

That’s fab-thanks for sharing! Love this idea-will share on social media 🙂

• Reply icemaidencakes October 2, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Great post, I didn’t know conkers are a moth deterrent. I have serious mottephobia so I know what i’ll be doing at the weekend – conker crafting!!

• Reply Jen October 6, 2014 at 11:05 am

Enjoy!

• Reply pennypinchingpeach October 2, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Oh, how neat!!! I had no idea what conkers were until I looked at the pictures. We call them “buckeyes” here in the USA. I love them, although I couldn’t articulate why. Now I want to find some! A few of these would make wonderful gifts this holiday season!! 🙂

• Reply Jen October 6, 2014 at 11:05 am

They would make lovely gifts-what a great idea!

• Reply Emma T (@ETusty) October 2, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Love the post, and I’m a huge conker fan too. We need to collect more, but I’m definitely looking for more ideas.

• Reply Jen October 6, 2014 at 11:05 am

Happy to help!

• Reply frugalhappylife October 2, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Love, love, love this post!
    I’m a goin’ conker huntin’ Ma!

• Reply Jen October 2, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Yay!

• Reply Linda A. October 2, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Sorry, CONKERS not COOKERS!

• Reply Jen October 2, 2014 at 6:23 pm

🙂

• Reply Linda A. October 2, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I’m sure I once read that cookers keep spiders away!

• Reply Jen October 2, 2014 at 6:23 pm

That’s what I heard too-it’s on the list at No.7!