#MinsGame

October 29, 2014

I blogged a couple of weeks ago about going to see The Minimalists on the UK leg of their book tour for Everything That Remains (which I have now read, and thoroughly recommend!)
I alluded at the time to a new challenge, a mission.
And here it is….

It’s #MinsGame!

0001-27941012
I had seen this hashing a few times on Twitter, and had no idea what it was referring to, but when I was doing some reading on The Minimalists site, I saw it again, and finally found out what it was all about.
The #MinsGame is a minimalising (is that even a word?) or de-cluttering ‘game’.
And it’s pretty easy.

Starting on the 1st day of any month, you get rid of (de-clutter) one item from your home.
On the 2nd day, you get rid of 2 things.
On the 3rd day, 3 items.
And so on. Until on the last day of the month, you are de-cluttering 28/30/31 items depending on which month you choose.

I’m doing it man!
I am so there.
I thought November would be a good month to do it, to make some space for the inevitable, no matter how hard I try to tell people not to buy us stuff, Christmas influx.
So, by the end of November, our house will be 465 items lighter. How good does that sound?!

I’ve decided that this time around (I envisage we may need several ’rounds’ of the #MinsGame), I will just be focussing on my things, and the things that are joint but kind of in my control-like any cooking type stuff etc. I am hoping that by setting the example, the rest of the family might be slightly more willing to jump on board when the time comes…!

Sooooooo, does anyone else want to play?!
I’d love some of you to join me, and we can all support each other?
I’ll post daily updates on Twitter and FB with the hashtag #minsgames, and then try and do a weekly round-up on here to let you know how it’s going.

• Reply #MinsGame-The End? | My Make Do and Mend Year December 2, 2014 at 7:34 am

[…] so I have reached day 30 of my month of de-cluttering and my #MinsGame (here’s my intro post about it!) Starting with 1 item on the 1st November, and building up to 30 items on the 30th, a […]

• Reply #MinsGame Days 1-7 | My Make Do and Mend Year November 7, 2014 at 8:18 pm

[…] the 7th day of #MinsGame, and here is an update for you. The idea, for those of you who missed the original blog post, is to make a bit of a game of de-cluttering. 1 item on the 1st day of the month, 2 on the 2nd, […]

• Reply Heather November 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Hows everyone doing so far? I am up to 168 things gone, I suppose I have done all the easy stuff, just need to delve deeper now to reach 465

• Reply Minimalist Game | westywrites November 4, 2014 at 6:04 pm

[…] have me riveted. I therefore took an interest when Jen from My Make Do and Mend Year announced here on her blog that she was playing in November, and I was even more delighted when others I follow – […]

• Reply Heather Allen November 4, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I’m slightly late to the party but I’m going to join you! I’ve already sold 99 children’s books via the selling in Watford Facebook page over the weekend. With another 6 going tonight. I’ve also listed children’s clothes onto Ebay and I’m selling all our wooden Brio train sets (sob – boys growing up too fast). I wouldn’t even be able to guess how many bits that is altogether but it’s clearing out a huge space!!
    I’ve got lots more to sort out though…. So I should be able to get to the grand total of 465 items by the end of this month. 🙂

• Reply Jen November 7, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Brillo!

• Reply Morwhenna Woolcock November 2, 2014 at 11:48 am

I’m IN! This is perfect timing for me as I say good bye to my 30s!

• Reply Jen November 2, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Hurray! What a great way to start a clutter free 40’s!

• Reply Pollyplaits November 2, 2014 at 9:22 am

Hi, I finished the book yesterday. I was especially interested in the idea of “keeping stuff for best”…why not JUST have best clothes and wear them everyday?, Why not get out my nice plates and use them? After clearing out my Granddad’s house after he died I realised we hide away all this stuff which we should be enjoying and using. So today is day one…and my wardrobe is going to get it! Going to steal “mehubbyandthekids” idea and aim for 465 items total as I never know what time I will have one day to the next (my time is the next thing being decluttered!)

• Reply Jen November 2, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Yay-welcome aboard! Great point about just getting on and using stuff 🙂

• Reply Rae Hodgetts November 1, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Hokey dokey. I have just begun with the first thirty items, having decided to work backwards.
    Are there rules anywhere? My first question is do I count odd socks as one item each. My second, can I count unused bracelets if I break them up and put beads in my craft box?

• Reply Jen November 2, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I’m not sure there are hard and fast rules Rae. I would count a pair of socks as one item. Or you could be really hardcore and sort your sock drawer, and just say all the socks count as one item..! Depends how easy or otherwise you want it to be..?! I would think as well that if the stuff doesn’t actually leave your house, then technically it’s not been de-cluttered..!

• Reply Heather November 1, 2014 at 6:15 pm

We are going well so far, today’s running total stands at 107 as I’ve had a clear out of the medicine cabinate and taken 13 part used bottles and packs to the chemist for disposal off. Still more to do, although I gave to say we don’t have a cluttered house, there is always stuff to go 🙂

• Reply Jen November 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm

That’s brilliant Heather! 107-wow!

• Reply mehubbyandthekids October 31, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I’m in. Not sure I will do the whole day 1=1 day 2=2 thing. I might just declutter as much as possible and aim for 465 items

• Reply Jen November 1, 2014 at 9:30 am

Yay!

• Reply Krishna_Everson (@KrishnaEverson) October 31, 2014 at 12:01 am

Yes!! I’m so doing this!

• Reply Jen November 1, 2014 at 9:31 am

Hurray!

• Reply KathrynH October 30, 2014 at 10:49 am

Like you, I’m trying to declutter in time for Christmas so I’m definitely in.

• Reply Jen November 1, 2014 at 9:31 am

Brillo!

• Reply Rae Hodgetts October 29, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Ok – So I’m going to give it a go and see how far I can get. Mr H is going to be very excited at the prospect!

• Reply Jen November 1, 2014 at 9:32 am

Just as long as you don’t de-clutter his stuff I’m guessing..?!

• Reply Rae Hodgetts November 1, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Exactly! I’ve spotted so many things today, so I might take Heather’s approach. Not sure I can get to 465 but I’m going to give it a really good go.
        Good luck to everyone else!

• Reply Lets Play The Minimalism Game Together | Mommy Emu October 29, 2014 at 8:06 pm

[…] · by mommyemu · in Simple Life Challenge. · Today I agreed with my fellow blogger friend to take part in the Minimalism game starting on the 1st of November.  As with Christmas heading […]

• Reply iblamejupiter October 29, 2014 at 2:46 pm

now here’s a challenge! Have we got 465 items that we could be rid of???? I might give it a go….

• Reply Jen October 29, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Yay! Do join in 🙂

• Reply Heather October 29, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I’m in, just adding a twist, I am just going to see how much I can get rid of in the next 28 days, started already, cleared bookshelves and have 61 books for the charity shop, was ruthless 🙂 just redecorated the living room so lots of Nick nacks to go too. Going to aim for 465 items to get rid of and already getting there 😉

• Reply Jen October 29, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Brillo! How many do you think you’ve done already?

• Reply Heather October 29, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I have the 61 books by the door ready to go on Thursday and have 7 items on freecycle waiting for a home, I could have cheated and counted the 20 jam jars and 4 large cardboard boxes for freecycle as indervidual items, but decided to make them just two items. I also have another pile ready for the charity shop and can see the pile growing so will wait until they are just about to go before a count up.
        So today’s running total is 76 as I have also put in the recycling bin some magazines and other bits and pieces

• Reply Jen November 1, 2014 at 9:31 am

Fab Heather, you’re doing really well!

• Reply Schmooonthemove October 29, 2014 at 8:30 am

Sounds cool, I’m in 🙂

• Reply Jen October 29, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Hurrah!

• Reply mommyemu October 29, 2014 at 8:10 am

Sounds fantastic I am in.

• Reply Jen October 29, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Yay!

• Reply Rae Hodgetts October 29, 2014 at 8:07 am

Sounds great! But I’ve been making a concerted effort god clutter all year and so many things have gone that I worry I might struggle to keep up with this. Unless I go up my loft. Now there’s a thought …

• Reply Jen October 29, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Yes! The loft, do the loft! I can’t even bear to think about our loft…!