General ramblings, Happy Stuff!

Homemade Pants

December 13, 2014

Yes, I finally did it!
I made my own underwear πŸ™‚
When I started My Make Do and Mend Year, I drew the line at secondhand underwear, and always thought that it was maybe a step too far to make my own pants, but no more!

Hubby had a flash of inspiration, and entirely umprompted, he booked me into a knicker making workshop at The Makery in Bath for my birthday.
logo-3It was brilliant-a fabulous way to spend a few hours, in the company of some other lovely sewers, and under the instruction of the very enthusiastic, and very patient tutors, Sarah and Alice!

We were each given a template to take home so that we can go into production, and set up our very own knicker factories at home (I have debated how weird or otherwise it might be to make some to give as Christmas presents-any thoughts..?!), and I think I will definitely be making some more.

The hardest part was the elastic, but Sarah made sure we had plenty of time to practice, and was on hand to help with any difficulties.

I never thought that I would: a) show you all my pants; and b) so proud of my pants!

10409056_955456041148716_7085276114413253438_n

If you’re tempted to have a go then do!
I would totally recommend The Makery-if you’re local, then GO! If you’re not, then why not make a day of it and visit beautiful Bath at the same time.
And failing that, there are loads of tutorials online for making your own-so go forth and google, or check out my pant-tastic Pinterest board πŸ™‚

Power to the homemade pants!

• Reply February & March | plasticisrubbish February 24, 2016 at 10:59 am

[…] Jen over at Make Do & Mend got sent on a course! […]

• Reply duckinadress December 17, 2014 at 9:17 pm

They look pretty darn fab! On my Christmas list this year, I did put ‘courses from The Makery in Bath or Millie Moon in Frome’ but the other half has my list so I’m not holding out much hope! πŸ™‚ xx

• Reply Jen December 18, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Oh boooo! Hope you get what you wished for πŸ™‚

• Reply Becoming Good December 14, 2014 at 11:12 pm

They’re lovely. Better than some of the smalls I’ve seen when on a knicker shop. Congrats!

• Reply Jen December 17, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Hayley! The stitching wouldn’t stand up to close scrutiny, but they are very comfy and I’m pleased to report, they have survived the washing machine…!

• Reply sandyfaithking December 14, 2014 at 9:36 am

Whoops, I clicked go too soon. I wanted to say how amazing the knickers look!

• Reply Jen December 14, 2014 at 10:43 am

Thanks Sandy! You should make it your 2015 resolution to learn to sew! Have you tried asking around friends/family, or even on your local Freegle group to see if anyone could spare a couple of hours to get you going? Streetbank is another great place to look for people willing to skill share.

• Reply sandyfaithking December 14, 2014 at 9:35 am

I want to learn how to sew. I am a good hand stitcher but it takes so long.

• Reply growing snowballs | Glenda Smith December 14, 2014 at 3:17 am

What a thoughtful Husband you have. Better to buy an experience like a course rather than more “stuff”.

• Reply Jen December 14, 2014 at 10:42 am

I agree-he’s managed to come up with great experience days for the last few years. Only problem is I’m stumped as to what to I could get for him along a similar vein!

• Reply growing snowballs | Glenda Smith December 14, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Cooking lessons. Especially a cuisine that you or he love to eat. Plenty of choices there. My sister-in-law was giving Captaincy lesson from her hubby so that she could Captain their yacht when he wanted to have a rest (i.e. nap).

• Reply Jen December 17, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Thanks Glenda!

• Reply Meg and Gosia December 13, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Congratulations on taking the plunge too. I still buy some (nude/black sleek ones for under unforgiving dresses) but also make some myself. It really is quite simple when you crack the elastic. I also find myself inspecting stitching on shop bought ones closely and realising how bad some finishings are. Okay they use an overlocker but still…

• Reply Jen December 14, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hurray for homemade pants!

• Reply Heather December 13, 2014 at 4:11 pm

They’re fab Jen. Daft question but do you need a sewing machine or can you stitch them by hand? I might have to look up some online tutorials and give them a go in the new year.

• Reply Jen December 13, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Not a daft question Heather! Sewing machine all the way-I never really trust my hand sewing much…!

• Reply Elizabeth December 13, 2014 at 2:36 pm

These are lovely – and the fabric you’ve used looks both stylish and comfy. I’ve made bikinis before so think I could make my own pants πŸ™‚

• Reply Jen December 13, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Yay, give it a go Elizabeth!

• Reply tomg1992 December 13, 2014 at 2:32 pm

They’re lovely! They look professional. I think they’re a lovely Xmas gift, I’d be grateful.

• Reply Jen December 13, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Tom!

• Reply lesleygcooper December 13, 2014 at 1:05 pm

They’re really nice Jen, do they cost much to make – thinking of the elastic here?

• Reply Jen December 13, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Hi Lesley
      Hubby paid for the workshop for me, and all the materials were included. I’ve seen tutorials online to re-use old t-shirts etc, so I don’t think they would be too pricey!

• Reply Green Bee December 13, 2014 at 12:56 pm

They are so cute!!

• Reply Jen December 13, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Thankyou!

• Reply Louba December 13, 2014 at 9:51 am

These look brilliant! It’s on my list of things to try but I keep finding other things to do πŸ™ I have a lovely pair of Cath Kidson pyjamas that are past it which would be perfect. One for January I think

• Reply Jen December 13, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Oh yes, Cath Kidston pants would be fab! Do let us know when you make some-would love to see them πŸ™‚

• Reply Zoe @ecothrifty December 13, 2014 at 7:22 am

I was seriously considering making my own knickers the other day but I chickened out and bought some. Yours look amazing – did they take long to make?

• Reply Jen December 13, 2014 at 9:37 am

Hi Zoe
      The workshop was 3hrs, and I did think before we started “how is it going to take 3hrs”, but it did! Some of the time was taken up with practising sewing the elastic, so I’m sure my next pair will be quicker! I hesitate to say an hour, but maybe with practice!!
      Do let us see your pants (!) if you do make some πŸ™‚