General ramblings, Make Me A Wardrobe 2015, Really Useful-Making, Really Useful-Resources, Round Ups

Make Me a Wardrobe 2015-Resources

January 4, 2015

Having decided I want to up my sewing skills, and make myself a handmade wardrobe (contents of, not the actual wardrobe…!) I realise I need a plan.
Contrary to my usual ‘bull in a china shop’ approach to sewing, and just jumping into having a go at whatever I think looks nice, with whatever fabric I have to hand/think might work ok, I’m going to approach my handmade wardrobe with a little more thought and care.

I saw this great post from the fabulous IndieSew over on Sew Mama Sew recently-all about ‘transitioning to a handmade wardrobe’-excellent!
It has some brilliant advice-like defining your own style, and your favourite fabrics (type and colours) along with your skill level, before deciding what to make first.
This is a revelation! Like I said, previously I have just gone with whatever I thought looked good on the pattern packet, without giving much thought to what might actually suit me/be within my capabilities to make….!

So I’m going to take my time with this, and work my way through the blog post-I’ll even post it here when I’m done!

Other resources that I already have, that I’ll be turning to are:

• My copy of Love at First Stitch by Tilly Walnes-I bought this last year with the intention of working my way through it, but never got past the first project. It has some great clothes to make, along with all the patterns, and talks you through all the techniques you need for each pattern
    Tilly01
  • Another book I bought last year, that looks like a great one to help out in my quest, is the Great British Sewing Bee Sew Your Own Wardrobe. Again, it has the patterns included (so no attempting to photocopy patterns at 500%!), and talks you through sewing with different materials, and all the techniques needed
  • My trusty sewing ‘bible’-Sew it up by Ruth Singer-this covers all the basics and more, as well as trouble shooting common problems

Online, there is a plethora of fabulous blogs and websites to help me (and anyone who wants to join me!) sew my own:

• The Sewing Directory-this is a fabulous site, with not only a directory of sewing workshops and classes up and down the country, but also loads of free tutorials and techniques to browse
  • Sew Mama Sew-a whole community of sewistas, jam-packed with tutorials, and they have a whole community over on Facebook
  • Indie Sew-I discovered this site just last month, and it helped to fuel my desire to sew my own. It acts as a market place for independent designers to sell their patterns, and also has lots of free tutorials, and again, seems to have a great community feel
  • Wardrobe Architect-a 14 week blogging series from Coletterie, exploring ‘making a more meaningful wardrobe’ 🙂
  • So Zo What do you Know-Zoe’s great blog has loads of tutorials, and she is also the marvellous hostess of Me Made May-a whole month dedicated to encouraging people to sew (and importantly, wear!) their own creations
  • On the Cutting Room Floor-a site jam packed FULL of free sewing patterns and how-tos!

Thankyou all so much for all your feedback and encouragement on this project!
And to those of who who’ve said you want to join in-hurray! Welcome aboard 🙂
I thought it would be good to have a hashtag (seems like everything needs a hashtag these days..) so that we can all join in and share on social media, and keep track of what we’re all up to. I’ve thought long and hard for something that will include those wishing to knit/crochet/re-purpose as well as sew, their own clothes, and come up with…..

#mmaw2015

mmaw 4

It stands for Make Me a Wardrobe 2015 🙂
I like the fact that it looks a little bit like mwah-the way I think you write the whole lovey cheek kiss thing..?!

Right, I’m off to do some reading and research.
I’ll be back with a post or two about where to source equipment and supplies for Making Me a Wardrobe, ethically 🙂

• Reply #mmaw 2015-making a start | My Make Do and Mend Year January 26, 2015 at 1:17 pm

[…] the resources post I did a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the post on Sew Mama Sew by Allie Olsen of Indiesew, all […]

• Reply KayElleC January 13, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Hi Jen
    Your challenge is mentioned in my latest post….and I have my first piece of clothing made!
    It’s not for me…so being small, it didn’t take long.
    Loved the thrifty resources post and took a look at some of the sites you mentioned….what have you done!
    Here’s my first make of the year if you fancy taking a look….
    Thanks
    x

• Reply Jen January 13, 2015 at 1:28 pm

It’s absolutely gorgeous! What a lucky little girl you have 🙂 And I LOVE the crochet covered hanger too 🙂
      Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Make Me a Wardrobe 2015-Secondhand Supplies | My Make Do and Mend Year January 11, 2015 at 6:04 pm

[…] PS. If you are looking for where to buy a secondhand sewing machine-check out my guide here. And for more resources for all things Make Me a Wardrobe, check out this post here! […]

• Reply Jen January 8, 2015 at 11:20 am

Brillo-what a great challenge!

• Reply meebee January 7, 2015 at 11:27 pm

This is so me and tailoring is my to do this year!

• Reply Jen January 8, 2015 at 11:21 am

Hurray!

• Reply Jen Firth January 7, 2015 at 12:23 pm

What a brilliant idea. I would love to do it too, though I am finding it hard these days to find dressmaking fabric?

• Reply Jen January 8, 2015 at 11:21 am

Hi Jen
      I’ve got a post planned all about finding fabric so stay tuned!

• Reply Jen January 6, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Hurray! Come and join us if you fancy it!
    PS. What is an RTW fast?

• Reply Remade in Britain January 5, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Every year I make that promise to myself! Maybe this year will be the year? Either that or I’ll just spend my time floating around lovely blogs like these, haha!

• Reply Jen January 5, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Yes, come and join us!

• Reply Kiwijo January 4, 2015 at 11:10 am

Dont forget the helpful tips and tricks from http://becksieandlotty.co.uk/ as well!

• Reply Jen January 4, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Yes Jo! And there fabulous workshops 🙂

• Reply sewandsee January 4, 2015 at 9:49 am

Ive never really used patterns although I have mamy, I think the first pattern book that inspired me was burda……from there I went on to create my own patterns. Good luck this year i look forward to seeing your new personalised wardrobe

• Reply Jen January 4, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Wow-would love to be able to make my own patterns! Maybe once I’m more confident sewing, I’ll have a go…!

• Reply Aly January 4, 2015 at 8:38 am

I’ve been wanting a sewing machine for years.Do you have any recommendations for a beginner? My dad’s girlfriend who’s teaching me crochet, can help teach me how to use it.I just have no idea what I’m looking for?