I was asked to contribute some of my thoughts on food waste recently by a very lovely called Bibi.
In amongst our e-mail correspondence we ended exchanging our favourite zero-waste recipes. I sent Bibi the link to my Dead Bread recipe, and Bibi sent me a fabulous recipe for Baked Rice, from an Italian Vegetarian Cookery book by Paola Gavin, that uses leftover risotto.
I’ve been wanting to try it for ages, but risotto seems pretty popular in our house, and we always scoff the lot!
However, earlier on this week, I made a fennel risotto, and deliberately over-cooked so I could give this a go.
This is what you need:
- leftover risotto
- a free-range egg
- handful of grated cheese
- anything else kicking around the fridge-leftover cold spinach, even slices of sausage, would all work well
- any flavourings you fancy: chopped parsley, salt and pepper, sprinkle of grated nutmeg etc.
This is what you do:
- pre-heat the oven to 180C
- mix everything together well
- put in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with some more cheese
- bake in the oven for about 30 minutes
This is totally delicious! And one of those occasions when the leftovers might just be more tasty than the original!
It was so delicious, I completely forgot to take a picture….