Oh. My. Goodness.
My May Make, not only made in May, but blogged in May, and with time to spare..!
FINALLY getting the hang of this, now we’re nearly halfway through!
SO here we go, my 5th make for my challenge to make an item of clothing a month for 2015.
I have had this Sew Over It Ultimate Shift Dress pattern sat on my shelf for a while now.
I bought it last year at the Handmade Fair, and was assured it was simple.
And it was!
I struggled a bit with the darts, but I had a look at the Sew Over It blog, and found this great video from Lisa, that walked me through it.
I chose the long sleeved option you can see in the picture above, only not quite so short…
I found this double bedsheet in a charity shop for just £5!
I love the colours and the pattern, and there is sooooo much fabric there. I could make at least another dress, and maybe a skirt!
So for once, I had enough fabric!
Although there were no selvedges, so I had to find out how to work out where the grainline was, to make sure I laid out my pattern correctly.
What I learned:
- It probably is worth the effort of either making a toile, or tacking my seams and then trying it out, as this is a little on the snug side. I can get it on, but getting it off takes a bit more work, and I can’t lift my arms much above elbow height…!
If I tacked my seams, and then tried it on, I could have given myself another 0.5cm in seam allowance all the way round, and it would have fitted better.
- Bedsheets, or at least this bedsheet, have very little stretch in them…!
- As ever, cutting out the pattern, and the fabric, possibly took more time than the sewing…
- I love this pattern, and style, and will definitely wear this dress (I am speaking at the Bristol Green Week later on in the Summer, eeek!, so I might wear it for that) as long as no physical exertion or stretching is needed.
- I want to make another one, and make it slightly larger! And I’d love to make one in knit fabric for more of an everyday dress
- I need to start sewing garments that I need in my wardrobe and that I will wear everyday, rather than just randomly sewing patterns I like (I’m sure I wrote something about that in my making a start post-I really should listen to my own advice..!)
The #mmaw2015 Pinterest board is filling up.
How is everyone else getting on?
Pin your makes to the board, or leave a link in the comments and I’ll do my best to share!