...Celebrations, ...Food and Recipes, General ramblings

Christmas Makes-Christmas Chutney

November 24, 2012

This year, inevitably, we are making many of our Christmas presents. So I thought I would share them with you! Here is the first one.

(And as today is Buy Nothing Day, you could use your freed up time, to make some pressies!)

Every year for the last few years, we have made a batch of Christmas Chutney and jarred it up to give at (you guessed it) Christmas.

This is the recipe we used this year. It is from Nigella Christmas (you may have noticed by now that I heart Nigella. A lot)

Cranberry and Apple Chutney

This is what you need to make about a litre:

• 750g cooking apples-peeled, quarteed, cored and chopped
  • 250g dried cranberries-we didn’t have quite enough so substituted some raisins (sorry Nigella)
  • 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 350ml cider vinegar
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 tsp Maldon salt or 1 tsp table salt

This is what you do:

• Sterilize your jars-I wash them in hot soapy water, and then place them on a baking tray in the oven at about 150C for 10-15mins
  • Take a medium/large saucepan and chuck in all the ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon and put the pan on the heat
  • Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat a little to let the pan cook, uncovered on a fast simmer, for about 45 minutes, or until the chutney has thickened and the fruit is soft
  • Spoon into the war, prepared jars and fasten on the lids tightly

Can be made up to 2 months in advance. The longer you give it to ‘mature’ the better.

Store in a cool dark place for up to a year. Once opened, store in the fridge and use within 1 month.

So why not whip up a batch? This would make a great present on it’s own, or given with some a selection of hand-picked cheeses and some posh biscuits!

• Reply Make It Christmas! | My Make Do and Mend Year December 2, 2013 at 6:11 pm

[…] some homemade cheese biscuits (try this recipe for Sea Salt Biscuits from BBC Good Food) and a chutney or two. Maybe even splash out on a board or a cheese knife to go with […]

• Reply Jane December 10, 2012 at 7:26 am

Hi, just made this yesterday. The flavours are wonderfully Christmassy but it is quite sharp (vinegary). Does anyone know is this is how it should be? Or if it goes once it matures a bit?
    Thanks
    Jane x

• Reply Jen December 10, 2012 at 11:14 am

Hi Jane
      It should ‘mature’ and then taste much nicer! I think most chutney’s suggest about a month, but I would give it another go at Christmas and hopefully it will have ‘mellowed’ a little! Thanks for reading, love to get everyone’e comments. 🙂

• Reply vivjm November 24, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Ooh nice! I use Nigella’s spicy apple chutney for my go-to chutney recipe, but this would make a nice change for some pressies. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Jen November 25, 2012 at 10:27 am

Glad you like it! Have a go and let me know what you think!!

• Reply Sue Gardiner November 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I always make some dark chocolate truffles and put them in nice little boxes that I buy on ebay and a bit of tissue paper. They look so professional and taste really lovely.

• Reply Jen November 24, 2012 at 7:59 pm

They sound delicious. I was thinking of trying to make some truffles but am always put off as most of the recipes I see have to be kept in the fridge, and I think this is a bit tricky with presents! Are yours fridge ones too?

• Reply Sue Gardiner November 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Yes they are but I only give them to really good friends and tell them to keep them in the fridge and use them within 3 days. Quite honestly they don’t last that long!

• Reply Jen November 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I worry more about being organised enough to make them the day before I’m going to see people! Not sure I would trust myself with a fridge full of chocolate truffles..!!

• Sue Gardiner November 24, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Ha Ha yes I see what you mean but there are always some that aren’t perfect enough to give away

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo November 24, 2012 at 10:16 am

Oh this looks yummy. I think this would be nice for the men folk in our family, might have to give it a go.
    I usually make fudge for Xmas pressies and found a quick and easy one from Lorriane Pascall on the BBC website (its called chocolate marshmallow fudge I think if you want to look for it), and I made some Lemon Hand Scrub last weekend ( Pinterest via a blog called Under the table and dreaming), which is going to all my sisters in law and mother in law, so Ive finally made a start!
    Thanks for sharing.
    :o)

• Reply Jen November 24, 2012 at 11:59 am

Oh wow, thanks Jo, am going to check out those ideas. Lemon hand scrub sounds just what I am looking for. And the fudge sounds yummy-have you done a ‘taste-test’ yet..?!

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo November 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I made some last year and it was a huge hit- will certainly be making more this year. :o)

• Reply Jen November 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I’ll have to give it a go!