...Celebrations, ...Food and Recipes, General ramblings

Christmas makes-White chocolate chip fudge

December 13, 2012

I have made this for the last year or two, and it is my favouritest fudge recipe ever. To the point that it is hard to give any away…

It has the added bonus of keeping for up to 2 months-so it can be made well in advance. This is the recipe from BBC Good Food:

This is what you need:

• 500g golden caster sugar
  • 500ml double cream
  • 3 tbsp liquid glucose (you can get this in most supermarkets)
  • 140g white chocolate, cut into chunks-don’t make them too small, or they will melt!

This is what you do:

• Put the caster sugar, liquid glucose and double cream into a large saucepan and stir well
  • Place over a low heat and stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved and no longer feels grainy on the bottom of the pan
  • Turn up the heat and fast boil-you want it to reach ‘soft ball’ on a jam thermometer. If you don’t have such technological wizadry, then you can test when it is ready by dropping small amounts into a glass of cold water. It is ready when it sets into a soft ball that can be picked up with a teaspoon. It should have thickened, darkened slightly and the bubbles should be small and even
  • Turn off the heat and keep stirring it for about 5 minutes as it starts to cool down
  • Line a brownie tin or a 22cm square tin with baking parchment
  • Add the white chocolate chunks and stir well
  • Pour the mix into the baking tray and leave overnight to set
  • Cut into chunks and scoff wrap up for your loved ones

As I said at the start, this will keep for up to 2 months in an airtight container. Don’t however store it in the fridge, or it will go soft.

I made a double batch of this. If you do the same, make sure pan is big enough (it rises up a LOT when it is boiling-mine boiled over..) or use 2 pans. I’m sure this happened last year as well. I remembered as I was decanting half of the mix into another pan-nothing like learning from your mistakes..!

Fudge-11

If you fancy a slightly easier version of fudge, with no need for a jam thermometer or worry ing about soft sets and such like, try my version of Nigella’s fudge from Nigella Express here.

• Reply Catherine Elizabeth Gordon November 18, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Ingredients purchased! Can’t wait to make. Thanks for sharing this.

• Reply Jen November 20, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Enjoy…!!

• Reply Fudge Fiasco | My Make Do and Mend Year July 28, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] also trying to make scones and gift bags for the teachers at BigSmall’s school. It’s a recipe I have used before, but for some reason (too much rushing and a too small pan I think!) it failed to set. Even after […]

• Reply a cheerful living adventure January 12, 2013 at 11:44 am

Noooo! I can’t possibly make this, none of it would ever get out of the house! I LOVE fudge, and that looks utterly gorgeous.

• Reply Jen January 12, 2013 at 1:42 pm

It is good old-fashioned fudge with that nice slightly crumbly texture-absolutely delicious!

• Reply The Great Gift Exchange-the Big Reveal « My Make Do and Mend Year December 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

[…] added in a bag of white chocolate chip fudge, and a card made using old […]

• Reply Quillow o’Clock | A year without supermarkets December 17, 2012 at 8:26 pm

[…] previous life was a game of Monopoly! We also got some extremely tasty fudge and if you click right here you can get the recipe and a lovely card made with […]

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo December 14, 2012 at 9:44 am

Oh yum! I used to make a Russina Fudge from NZs favourite cookbook which needed constant stirring for 30 mins (!!), but found a must easier recipie last year by Lorraine Pascall for Choc Marshmallow fudge which only takes about 10 minst to make in total! Hopefully this link will work……..http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_marshmallow_14263

• Reply Jen December 14, 2012 at 11:34 am

Off to have a look!

• Reply Jen December 14, 2012 at 11:35 am

Just had a quik look-looks fab, and I have all the things I need-guess what I’ll be making this weekend..?!

• Reply alma December 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I like the scoff part, I am going to give this recipe a try sounds delish !!

• Reply Jen December 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm