General ramblings, Really Useful-Buy Nothing New, Round Ups

Free stuff!!

February 3, 2013

I would imagine that by now, most people are aware of the existence of sites like Freecycle-people post adverts of things they no longer want or need, for other people to come and collect. For free.

It is a great concept. You can get rid of stuff you no longer want without having to leave the comfort of your sofa, and you get the warm rosy glow of knowing it is going to someone who needs it, and is being saved from landfill.

AND you can get stuff, for FREE.

Freecycle

There are lots and lots of different sites out there. So I thought I would try and do a quick run down of the ones I know about, and then if I have missed any off, you can let me know, and I can try and produce a definitive list. Would also be good to try and get some thoughts on the various sites from people who have used them, so if you have any (please try and keep it fairly constructive!!), please add them in the comments section.

Freecycle

freecycle_logo

This is probably the biggest and most well known of all the freecycle groups. It has over 9 million members worldwide, in over 5,000 different groups. Membership is free.

If you do a search, you should be able to find a group near you. And if there isn’t, then I guess there is nothing to stop you setting up one! We have 3 groups near us, giving us lots of potential to pick up some great stuff.

I have used my local groups quite a bit, and these are my thoughts so far:

• You do get a LOT of e-mails. You can choose to just get sent a ‘daily digest’ but I think if you did this, it would be very difficult to actually get anything you wanted, as it would probably already be gone
  • Quite a few of the e-mails seem to go straight to my bulk mail folder, so do keep a check on this!
  • Things get snapped up VERY quickly. I have tried to get quite a few different things, and nearly always end up missing out 🙁
  • When you post OFFERED things, I have had several no-shows where people didn’t bother to come and collect. One time, I even went out of my way to meet someone with some things, and they didn’t turn up, or even bother to e-mail or ring me-grrrrr!
  • There is a great range of stuff, and seem to lots of groups around though, so you should be able to find something!

Freegle

freecycle2

This is a UK based site which I think split from the US based Freecyle. There are nearly 1.5 million users and 373 groups all over the UK, and all the moderators are local. Again, membership is free.

You can do a search to find a join a group near you. I have just joined my local group, but have not yet used it, so have no feedback at the moment!

Any Good To You

anygoodtoyou

I recently came across this group on Twitter, but have only had time to have a very quick peek at their site.

I can’t see anywhere on the site to search for a local group, or even items local to you, but there seems to be a fair amount of stuff on there, and they run a system whereby you can earn credits to exchange for rewards too.

Lets All Share

letsallshare

This site helps you “rent, borrow, lend or giveaway things amongst friends, neighbours, colleagues or anyone really. You control what you share, with whom & how, i.e for free, for a fee or both!”

I haven’t tried it-let me know if you have!

V Skips

vskips

This is what they say “The idea is simple – Instead of hiring a real skip you upload your unwanted items to a virtual skip for other people to search and claim. vSkips is completely FREE to use, so you can protect the environment, reduce landfill and save money at the same time.”

ReUseIt Network

reuseit

“is an on-line forum that serves as a tool to make connections between community members who want to help each other, themselves, and their environment. In a disposable society where many items are discarded long before they have actually outlived their use, The ReUseIt Network helps get things from people who have them but don’t want them to people who want them but don’t have them.”

Looking on the website, there are groups in the USA, Canada and Australia, as well as in the UK. There are about 11 groups scattered around the country, but from the website, they seem keen to recruit new groups!

Preloved.co.uk

pre-loved logo

This is a classified site where you can list stuff to sell, BUT they also have a ‘Freeloved’ page featuring stuff being given away for free!

Scavenger.org

Scavengerlogo

“the reuse and recycle community network”

Ecobees

freecycle ecobees

” a grassroots movement of people who are giving, getting and sharing stuff for free in their own towns.  It’s all about reducing, re-using, recycling and saving the planet.”

SnaffleUp

snaffle-up-logo

Their ‘motto’ is “don’t bin it, give it”! Which seems a pretty good one!!

I haven’t used this site, but i t looks great, and there seem to be lots of members all over the country.

WARPit

warpit

If you area business or organisation, then you can use WARPit to redistribute your resources!

So what have I missed?

And what are your experiences of using any of these groups?

Would love to hear from you 🙂

P-free stuff

• Reply Trish July 15, 2014 at 9:07 pm

You forgot about us!!!!

Easy to use, sign up once and look at items worldwide (if you want to!), growing fast and – most importantly – mentioned by Kirstie tonight on #fillyourhouseforfree !!!!

Oh, and we’re lovely 🙂

• Reply Jen July 16, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Great, thanks for letting me know!

• Reply The Big Lunch Resourceful Week #3 | My Make Do and Mend Year April 30, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] My Make Do and Mend Year, with the help of the fabulous Cat from Freegle, I compiled a list of Free sites and Sharing sites. The Sharing Economy is growing pretty quickly right now, so the list may be a […]

• Reply Fill Your House for Free | PinAddicts Challenge August 22, 2013 at 6:32 am

[…] if you like the sound of that, then here is the link to a blog post I did a while back, with a list of sites for free stuff. […]

• Reply 30 ways to save £1 | PinAddicts Challenge May 2, 2013 at 7:03 am

[…] full use of sites with free stuff, […]

• Reply 30 Ways to Save £1 | My Make Do and Mend Year April 30, 2013 at 6:01 pm

[…] full use of sites with free stuff, like Freecycle and […]

• Reply Halfway…. | My Make Do and Mend Year March 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm

[…] some Sugru. 5. There are lots of websites now dedicated to giving away stuff-that’s right-stuff for free!! Check it out. It is also a great way of ‘re-homing’ stuff you don’t want or […]

• Reply Fiona February 6, 2013 at 10:01 am

Great list – I’m planning on having a not-make-do-and-mend challenge as one of my monthly green challenges on my blog soon so will come in very handy. I’ve used Freecycle a lot over the years in Newcastle and London and posted my tips from personal experience here: http://bikelightsinthefruitbowl.typepad.com/blog/2013/01/freecycle.html – hopefully some tips will help avoid some common pitfalls:-) Love your other post with extra list from Freegle too – thanks to you and them for sharing:-)

• Reply Jen February 6, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Thanks Fiona! I will check out the link to your blog 🙂

• Reply The Definitive List of Sharing Sites..? « My Make Do and Mend Year February 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

[…] I decided to try and compile a list of freecycling sites, I inevitably turned to the good people out there in social media land for their recommendations […]

• Reply janinewoodward (@craftyactivist) February 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I have another site for you! http://www.ecomodo.com/ 🙂

• Reply Jen February 4, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Several people have flagged them up Janine-thankyou! I am doing a post on sharing sites, so they are on there 🙂

• Reply Andy from Workshopshed February 4, 2013 at 7:38 am

I do use Freegle a lot to avoid having to go to the tip. However all of the items we’ve passed on are in good condition. Last year we gave away, some half a length of brand new drainpipe which was in turn upcycled into a car racetrack, half a roll of roofing felt which was used to patch up a shed before winter and I’ve heard that some of the baby clothes and toys we gave away last year are now going to a 3rd family.

• Reply Jen February 4, 2013 at 8:10 am

THat’s great! As they say, one person’s trash is another person’s treasure!

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo February 3, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Ive joined Freecycle recently and get three emails a day(!) about stuff available locally. Still have yet to work out how to post an ad tho (have a few things I want to get rid of). Spose I should spend a bit more time looking at it. :o)

• Reply Jen February 4, 2013 at 8:09 am

I think you can choose to just get a ‘daily digest’ e-mail with everything on rather than lots of individual ones. It is quite easy to post once you are logged in-the hard thing is remembering the password!!

• Reply Samantha wainwright February 3, 2013 at 8:35 pm

It’s all well and good giving away stuff that is fit for purpose but some people just use the site as a way of avoiding going the tip.

I replied to an ad place for a kingsize divan that was still in decent condition. The ad said ideal for a person staring out or for a spare room.

Hubby went to collect and it was disgusting. I can’t actually believe he bought it home! It was dirty, bent all out of shape and not fit for a dog to sleep on nevermind a person.

So now I was lumbered with a horrible kingsize divan that I was going to have to take to the tip.

I decided I couldn’t have it in the house or garage any longer so suited up with masks and smashed and ripped the bed to pieces and burnt it in the garden.

I emailed the person telling her how I felt and also posted on freegle. I never heard anything back from her.

I have now stopped receiving emails from this site as I have better things to do with my time than get rid of other people’s crap.

• Reply Jen February 3, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Hi Samantha
      Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I think with these kind of things there is always the chance that people will miss-use it, or if we are being charitable, then that their definition of ‘usable’ is different to our own..!

• Reply kimroper2010 February 3, 2013 at 7:59 pm

My personal favourite is http://www.ecomodo.com it’s the easiest way to earn money from your stuff, insured as well.

I’ve lent out my buggy and bread maker and tent so far.

Also great to borrow stuff too. And all really safe.

• Reply Jen February 3, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Hi Kim. I am doing a sharing sites post as well, and Ecomodo is on there!

• Reply kimroper2010 February 3, 2013 at 11:24 pm