Is this the ‘symbol’ of My Make Do and Mend Year..?

February 8, 2013

Washing basket61

Our washing basket….!

This is a very special post. A guest post. For the second time. By… (drum roll please) the lovely hubby AKA Mr Make Do and Mend himself!!

We have had many washing basket issues in our time.

Not sure if we overload or over-work them – is carrying small child PLUS washing bad? After a few failures we decided to splash out a few years ago and get a more expensive, sturdier model.

I have to say I can’t remember where we got this particular version from. But I do remember that it broke not long after we got it, mainly from trying to carry washing under one arm with baby attached to the other side (both Mummy & Daddy were guilty of this).

The first repair was to bandage up the handle grips with parcel tape and this worked well for ages until a crack appeared near one of the handles. One thing we are not short of in the Make Do and Mend house is glues and adhesives. My first port of call was the trusty Q Bond with plastic powders and this worked for a short while until the the crack opened up again and one of the handles sheared completely.

Washing basket1

After much head scratching and deep thought I decided reinforcement was needed so I drilled out the handle and inserted a sawn off old school wooden peg to act a support the join was then filled with Sugru (which is just magic stuff, it really does do everything they say!). I then sat back on my laurels safe in the knowledge that my fixing here was done…..

Washing basket31

That was until I fell up the stairs  carrying the washing and landed heavily on the washing basket and on my very expensive shoulder which was also recently fixed after many Osteopath visits. It was carnage. There was plastic shrapnel everywhere, damp washing all over the floor, a very grumpy Mr Make Do & Mend cradling the afore -mentioned shoulder and a very sympathetic Mrs Make Do & Mend trying to stifle the giggles.

Washing basket21

Mrs Make Do suggested that we ditch the basket and use an old grocery plastic box instead, it was at this point that I refused to let the old basket die and got my stubborn head on.

The basket had completely split down one side and several shards of plastic had broken off it some of which were never seen again. This was going to be a big fix….

First up I got out the Q Bond and glued all the little shards back together like a 3D jigsaw.

The biggest crack was filled and repaired with a really cool UHU epoxy putty which bonded and filled the gap whilst adding strength.

It was then over to our old friend the Duct Tape. After much trimming and cutting we have the finished article.

Washing basket41

This is undoubtably stronger that when it came out of the factory and will become a family heirloom to be passed on down the generations…

And I have suggested that it should become the mascot for our Make Do and Mend Year…!!

What do you think?

Will this last until September..?!

• Reply Kara September 26, 2013 at 8:09 am

Well done, but I have to agree with the comment about buying a wicker laundry basket. I finally broke down and bought a reed basket when we moved here, and I am sure I could chuck it off the balcony without anything happening to it. Plus, if it does eventually get beyond repair, I can compost it. Maybe finding one of those local guys who makes basket indigenous to the region for centuries and just parting with the money, repeating “I’m doing a good thing…”?

• Reply Lovely Hubby Guest Post… | My Make Do and Mend Year August 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm

[…] stuff is really good fun and satisfying. Maybe the laundry basket has been over fixed but it’s still here and doing its job. Before, we definitely would have got […]

• Reply Hit, Miss and Maybe… | My Make Do and Mend Year June 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm

[…] The washing basket-it is still holding out. Will it make it to end of My Make Do and Mend […]

• Reply Sheepdog Lady :-) March 13, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I admire your determination to stick to the Make Do and Mend ethic, but surely the cost of all that tape and various types of expensive glue outweighed the cost of a new basket!

• Reply Jen March 13, 2013 at 6:38 pm

This is the first time I have replied to a comment on here, but no it doesn’t end up being more expensive. It was fun using ingenuity and cunning to fix the washing basket and I still have nearly a whole roll of tape and the majority of the glue left for the next time something needs fixing! Mr Make Do & Mend 🙂

• Reply Halfway…. | My Make Do and Mend Year March 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm

[…] can live to fight another day, rather than just chucking it out, and buying a new one. I think our washing basket is testament to […]

• Reply The wonderful world of Sugru | My Make Do and Mend Year March 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm

[…] And to his credit he has. It has been used to help to fix our laundry basket… […]

• Reply Ad Man February 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm

well done, keep going, i would say it shows buying cheap plastic things in the first place is a false economy though, i have a nice posh wicker basket and it will last a life time plus be compostable at the end of its like not like nasty plastic

• Reply Jen February 13, 2013 at 2:48 pm

It wasn’t that cheap if I recall! But I agree, it would have been better to try and find an alternative to plastic 🙂

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) February 10, 2013 at 9:36 am

My orange plastic washing basket was bought just after I got married & is still going strong. Its been used for carboots, kids, moving house & washing of course but they don’t make them as sturdy now … vintage 1974 was a very good year !

• Reply Jen February 10, 2013 at 10:42 am

Will have to try and track one down!! Not sure ours will last 39 years….

• Reply Vivienne Downes (@VivienneDownes) February 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Just remembered to add a hint to make your plastic laundry basket or anything plastic last longer it needs to be kept out of sunlight. Best put in dark cupboard because it becomes very brittle from direct sun “bleaching” effect.

• Reply Jen February 24, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Thanks Vivienne!

• Reply Antonia February 9, 2013 at 8:03 pm

We have that basket too and it was relegated to the log shed when I found I couldn’t get it and my pregnant bump down the stairs at the same time! If you need a replacement any time soon Ben let me know! We now use the rather more flexible plastic garden trugs which are great…

• Reply Jen February 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Sounds a much more sensible idea Antonia! I will let Ben know that there is a spare though..!!

• Reply mehubbyandthekids February 8, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Can we have a follow up post in September please? I’d love to see a washing basket made entirely from duct tape and super glue!!
    Seriously well done though. I think I would have thrown it out. Just goes to show what a wasteful society we can be.

• Reply Jen February 8, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I think that’s what it will end up being…!!

• Reply saraband February 8, 2013 at 7:40 pm

For years I’ve used a garden bag instead of a laundry basket: it’s strong, cheap and takes up much less space than a rigid basket.

• Reply Jen February 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Fab idea. Or an Ikea or similar bag I guess. Will have to remember this if (when) the washing basket finally dies!

• Reply sarah@everydaylifeonashoestring February 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Oh dear. Now I’m feeling guilty about jettisoning a laundry basket wasn’t in half as much of a state, nor was it guilty of inflicting serious GBH on any of the family, only minor finger pinching! In my defence it had been a tip rescue in the first place. Well done!! I reckon there’ll a bigger make do and mend before the year is out though…

• Reply Jen February 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Undoubtedly Sarah! I only hope it can be fixed with duct tape and glue…