So after making Plarn, for my ‘talking point’ Rubbish bag, I have now had a go at t-shirt yarn (I guess that should be called “Tarn”) too in my quest for ‘alternative’ materials to crochet with.
This is made in a very similar way to the Plarn:
- Collect your pile of unloved t-shirts from the bottom of the wardrobe where they have been sat for months waiting for upcycling inspiration…
- Get your cutting mat, rotary cutter/craft knife/scissors, and ruler
- Cut the top of the t-shirt off below the arm seams
and cut off the bottom hem
- Then fold over your t-shirt in the same way as for the Plarn (fold side seam to side seam, but leave about 5cm at the top where there is no overlap), and start cutting into 3-5cm wide strips
- Then open up the whole thing, and cut diagonally from the bottom of one ‘hoop’ to the top of the next, so that you get a long line of t-shirt (this will make sense as you do it. I hope)
- If all that makes no sense at all, then watch this very much better video..!
Then, all you have to do is stretch your line of material, so that it folds in on itself like this
So, from one long-sleeved t-shirt, I got this much ‘Tarn’
Again, please note that these are not life-sized figures…
Now, I just need some ideas for the remaining piece…