The recent sunshine has bought to my attention the fact that I own very few t-shirts.
The obvious answer is to go and buy some ‘new’ t-shirts from the charity shop, but that would involve trawling around the charity shops with two very bored, very fractious Smalls in tow.
AND I have a bag full of long-sleeved t-shirts sitting in the spare room patiently awaiting upcycling.
So upcycle I will!
This is the before
it is a long sleeved top I bought from the supermarket (how times have changed-I don’t think I can ever go back to such cheap ‘newnew’ clothes even after the end of the year, after the tragedy of the factory collapse in Bangladesh) when I was pregnant with SmallSmall, so it was bought to be ‘roomy’.
I have never really liked the neckline, and I want a short-sleeved shirt, so I attacked it with some scissors!
I cut off the neckline by just carefully cutting away the hemmy bit.
I cut off the arms by folding it in half and carefully lining up the shoulder seams and the arms. I then cut a line perpendicular to the end of the sleeves at just below the armpit bit (does that make sense?)
And then finally I cut off the hem.
The wonderful thing about t-shirt/jersey material is that it doesn’t fray. And if you give it a bit of a pull, then the edges curl up and (I think) look kind of cool!
So I gave all the new raw edges a bit of a pull, and tried it on.
Little bit large and the neckline was a bit
indecent low, so I decided to try and add some kind of darts or ruching (is that even a word?) to the neckline.
On my first attempt, I made 4 very rough darts, and sewed on buttons as I went to keep the dart in place.
This was ok, but I decided I needed bigger, braver darts. Cue a search through the sewing box for the stich ripper as I sewed my buttons on soooo securely..!
This time, I was sewing clever, and I actually pinned my darts first and then tried it on (I seem to never learn that short-cuts and sewing don’t really mix)
Once I was happy(ish) I re-sewed the buttons on and triumphantly wore my top that very day!
This started off as a two minute re-vamp, and admittedly took a little longer than 2 minutes due to a bit of ‘un-sewing’, and there is a fair amount of wonk incorporated, but it was done in less than half an hour,while 2 Small people played lego, and ‘helped’ with the pins, and all before we left the house in the morning.
Give it a go-cutting up clothes and messing about with them is strangely liberating!