...Celebrations, General ramblings

Sweet stuff

July 5, 2013

I was at my parent’s house recently and saw a jar of sweets that my brother had sent my mum as a Get Well present, and it looked really great, crammed full of sugary goodness.

So I decided to steal the idea.

I think my brother must have ordered his jar online (it came with a very professional label, and whilst I am not doubting my brother’s label making abilities, I don’t think he made it…) but I decided to come up with my very own Make Do and Mend version…

I filled an empty kilner jar with whatever was cheap in Lidl  all the recipient’s favourite sweets, et voila!

PMSweet stuff1

In an ironic twist of whatever, I am actually sending this jar to my brother and his wife (will they see the irony? Let’s hope so.) and I know they are partial to the odd Nik-Nak or two as well, so I partnered this jar up with a few packets of the knobbly snack,

Sweet stuff3

and packaged them all up to post.

I hope it will make them smile 🙂

PS. Now I am on a roll-I envisage jam jars filled with maltesers, alternating layers of white and milk chocolate buttons, and anything else I can fit into a jar…

• Reply Sarah July 8, 2013 at 9:06 am

There is a book on kindle I bought which was titled something like 47 gifts in jars, was things like the ingredients to cakes layered up attractively to even non edible things well worth a read 🙂 Not that I have read it yet. I do love a kilner jar though, an empty one as a present would make me happy 😀

• Reply Jen July 8, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Kiwi-Jo mentioned a book about presents in jars-will have to try and track it down. I agree, I also have a bit of kilner jar ‘thing’ going on!

• Reply sarah July 8, 2013 at 10:07 pm

The one I have is a 100 recipes in jars by Bonnie Scott, hope that helps 🙂

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo July 7, 2013 at 7:32 am

A great idea for little boys is to get chocolate sprinkles (think humdreds and thousands type stuff for cake decorating) and put this in a jar with gummy worms – and call it worms in mud. I saw this idea in a great book I once had about making pressies in jars. :o)

• Reply Jen July 7, 2013 at 7:47 am

That is AWESOME!
      AND, a book about making presents in jars..?! I want one!!

• Reply Jo aka Kiwijo July 7, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I would have sent it your way, but it went to the Charity shop some months back, sorry :o(

• Reply Jen July 7, 2013 at 5:44 pm

No worries. Will keep my eye out for one!

• Reply thesparrowwhisperer July 6, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Love this – have seen cake/ cookie mixtures layered up to with instructions on label e.g. Just add an egg…. Might try some of these out for Christmas.

• Reply Jen July 6, 2013 at 8:11 pm

This is WAY easier! And involves even less effort on the recipient’s part too! Can’t understand why I hadn’t thought of this earlier!

• Reply mehubbyandthekids July 6, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Wow! You may have just solved my “how can i not do party bags without looking like the worst mum in the world?” problem without realising it! Thank you x

• Reply Jen July 6, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Oooh, hadn’t thought of that one! Great idea 🙂

• Reply Heather July 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Ooh yes great party bag idea! I’ve also seen small glass jars filled with lego pieces as party bags too….

• Reply mehubbyandthekids July 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Wow that’s an idea. Thanks Heather x

• Reply Jen July 9, 2013 at 7:11 pm

That is a FANTASTIC idea! BigSmall is already angling for a Lego party this year!

• Reply lindasgarden July 6, 2013 at 7:09 am

Reblogged this on My garden and it's Wildlife by Wildlife Linda and commented:
    brill Idea Jo

• Reply Nichola July 5, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I did idea to give to my nephew and son last christmas, they loved them…also i did one for my mother filled with shrimps sweets (her fav) went down a treat, lovely idea with not alot of effect 🙂

• Reply Jen July 6, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Oooh, I love pink shrimps too, and the banana ones, and cola bottles, and, and and….!!