When we went to the Pick Your Own the other week, as well as the seasonally obligatory strawberries, we got some rhubarb too. And then my parent’s gave us some as well from their allotment.
So we had quite a bit of rhubarb.
I made a cake.
I adapted the Squashy Rhubarb Cake from Leith’s Baking Bible, and this is what I came up with.
For the rhubarb:
- Approx 600g rhubarb-cut into 2.5cm pieces
- Zest and juice of an orange
- Sugar-1-2 tbsp to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Place the rhubarb in a roasting tray and drizzle over the orange juice and zest, and sprinkle on the sugar
- Give it all a shake and then bake for 20-30mins til it has all gone mushy
- Take out and put to one side
For the crumble:
- 80g butter
- 120g plain flour
- 45g sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Mix all the ingredients together briefly with a paddle type mixer, or rub together the butter and flour with your fingers, and then add the sugar and cinnamon
For the cake:
- 120g butter, softened
- 120g golden caster sugar
- 3 small free-range eggs (or 2 large)
- 120g self-raising flour
- milk (optional)
- Cream together the butter and sugar
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and keep mixing
- Add the flour, and then milk if necessary to make a ‘dropping consistency’
- Then add 2-3 tbsps of your rhubarb and briefly fold in
- Line a traybake tin (ours is about 25cmx18cm ish) and plop the mixture in
- Then dollop the rest of the rhubarb on top of the cake mix
- Cover with the crumble mix and press down firmly
- Bake in the oven for 45-60mins-check with a spikey thing to see if it is cooked through
- Eat warm with ice cream or custard, or cold 🙂