Ketchup

August 22, 2013

I made tomato ketchup.

It was not a resounding success.
An afternoon of chopping and simmering and stirring. A seemingly vast amount of veg.
And one, yes ONE, miserable little pot of not that great tasting ketchup.

Ketchup1

I used  a recipe from the my current favourite cook book, Hungry? from the good folk at Innocent smoothies.

It tastes ok, but more BBQ than tomato ketchup, and is little more gelatinous than it should be.
But my main bug bear is the time taken vs the yield.
I was tempted to give up on ketchup making endeavours in some kind of tomato induced rage.
It is not as if it forms a significant part of our diet, so does it really matter if we buy a bottle of tomato ketchup once in a while?
No, it really doesn’t. Obviously.

But now I am determined to have another go.
I know that Hattie from Free Our Kids has made some previously, so I may give her recipe a try.
Anyone else tried and had more success than me? Care to share the recipe if so..?!

• Reply Naomi August 24, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Jamie Oliver has a great recipe in his jamie at home book, i made it a couple of yrs ago and it was gorgeous! You might find this book in your library, I can’t believe how many new cookery books are in mine! Mary Berry etc!

• Reply Jen August 25, 2013 at 10:34 am

I have the book! Will check it out 🙂

• Reply Hazel August 23, 2013 at 6:34 am

I’ve had the same experience with ketchup and have decided it’s not worth the palaver. I’m planning to try lacto-fermented ketchup this year, which should at least be less messy and hopefully will give a better return on the tomatoes…

In the meantime I’ve persuaded the family that Lorraine Pascale’s Asian Chilli Jam is a very good substitute for ketchup (very easy to make, delicious and not necessarily hot).

(I got a message to say my comment couldn’t be posted first of all, so I hope you don’t get 2 very similar replies!)

• Reply Jen August 23, 2013 at 7:59 am

Lacto-fermented ketchup-that sounds kind of scary!

• Reply Hazel August 25, 2013 at 7:32 am

Haha! I’ll let you know- I’ve heard mixed reports…

• Reply treadingmyownpath August 23, 2013 at 1:11 am

I made ketchup using Hugh Fearnley Whttingstall’s recipe (the link is http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/aug/18/recipes.foodanddrink). First I got a shedload of tomatoes, then roasted them, then made passata, then used that to made ketchup. Whilst it was delicious, it took FOREVER, made a complete mess of the kitchen and I managed to turn 5kg of tomatoes into a few tiny bottles of ketchup. Maybe I’ll try again when I grow my own tomatoes again and have a massive glut (if that ever happens) but otherwise I think I can live without it!

• Reply Jen August 23, 2013 at 7:57 am

I dis question why I had bothered..!!

• Reply treadingmyownpath August 23, 2013 at 8:08 am

But didn’t I see a comment from you that you were going to try again?!?!?!?!

• Reply Jen August 23, 2013 at 8:12 am

I might if I can get some cheap tomatoes. I don’t like to be beaten..!!

• treadingmyownpath August 23, 2013 at 8:14 am

Well if you do, make sure your family use it very sparingly, so it lasts a really long time!

• Jen August 23, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Good point!

• Reply suth2 August 22, 2013 at 10:27 pm

You can find my two tomato sauce recipes here where I blogged about the cooking.

• Reply Jen August 23, 2013 at 7:57 am

Will check it out-thankyou!