These aren’t the delicate, coloured macaroons that you see on the Great British Bake Off, and have recently become quite trendy again, but instead they are easy peasy, fat free morsels of deliciousness. They are also an excellent way of using up egg whites if you have had enough of meringues.
This is what you need:
- 2 free range egg whites
- 100g fair trade caster sugar
- 100g desiccated coconut
- sultanas (optional)
- 50g chocolate-melted (optional)
This is what you do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4
- Grease a baking tray or use a re-usable liner
- Mix the egg whites, sugar and coconut together. You can add your sultanas at this stage-I do half plain and half with sultanas
- Spread the mix out onto a clean work surface, and flatten it down with your hands to about 1cm thick
- Use a circle cutter, approximately 6 or 7cm diameter to cut circles of mix and then use a palette knife to very carefully transfer them onto the tray. I got 10 circles and 1 lump of squished together leftovers from this amount of mix
- Bake in the oven for 8-10minutes. Keep an eye on them-they go from golden tinged (good) to brown all over (bad) in moments!
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired