Here is what Claire says on her blog about the Challenge and the reasons behind setting it up:
“This challenge was born out of the need to help people realise that they CAN and they actually DO make a positive impact in the world that we live.
I firmly believe in the ripple effect – I have dropped a pebble in an ocean of my fellow man-kind and hope these ripples have an everlasting effect.
Teaching a can do approach and the more the merrier with this challenge.”
The Challenge comprises 10 easy steps, and you can choose to implement as many of them as you want to in your daily life, and then keep them going for as long as possible! (except for the watching the film. Watching films on a loop, no matter how good they are, is never going to save the planet. Just watch them once.)
- Pack a lunch for work.
- Use a reusable bottle for your water – Bobble Bottles are great for filtering as you go and are offering a discount during Earth Month.
- Do not purchase Clothing for one day. But if you have to try and only purchase clothing that give back and make an effort to tackle environmental issues in the production of the product. I don’t think in one day you will in counter a fashion emergency!!
- Swap a Chemical Based home cleaning product for an ECO alternative, two of my favorite companies are Lilly’s Eco Clean & Ecover
- Discover Terracycle and the ways you can help to “Eliminate the Idea of Waste”!
- Buy local organic produce or pre think your shop for the week to reduce food waste.
- Plant a Tree and/or a plant that native bee’s LIKE.
- Cycle to work or take public transport.
- Watch the film HOME & film Trashed.
- Just open your mind for one day to the little things you can do to instill change in our world globally starting with yours
I am sure that you may already be doing at least some of these, but maybe pick just one more, and give that a go. For a day, for a week, for a month, and see what ripples we can create?!