Since starting My Make Do and Mend Year, and our quest for a more sustainable lifestyle, I have picked up some new habits. Things I now do without even thinking. Things that I now regard as ‘normal’ and forget that other people might see them as slightly weird…
Below is my list of the first 10 things I could think of that fall into this category:
1) Re-using tea bags. I have a dish next to the kettle, and after making tea, I put the tea bag in the dish. Once there are two tea bags, I use them both for the new cup of tea-it’s not quite an nice as a fresh cup, but if I use teapot it’s actually pretty ok!
2) Freezing bread crusts and half-eaten rolls.
The Smalls have that annoying Small child thing where they seem to find it impossible to eat crusts. There is a veritable crust mountain in our house. Every day.
So I now freeze them all in a bag, along with half eaten sandwiches and toast, and when there is enough, I make a savoury version of Bread Pudding .
3) I re-use plastic sandwich bags again and again and again.
4) I make my own deodorant
This is cheap, and means to plastic packaging to feel guilty about.
AND it works!
5) I have started using my homemade deodorant as a face scrub.
I have quite oily skin and am prone to spots. We used to buy exfoliating face scrubs, but they were a) expensive b) in un recyclable packaging and c) I have seen recent reports that all the little exfoliation scrub beads are actually damaging the marine environment.
So for a while I have been making ‘Face Balls’, but I was doing some research into natural products that were good for the skin, and kept seeing coconut oil, bicarb and tea tree oil being mentioned. And these are all in my deodorant! So I am experimenting with rubbing some on my face before I get in the shower and then gently rubbing it off with a loofah.
I did warn you that I might be a bit weird…
6) I have patched my socks.
Hubby’s thicker sports type socks have been darned, but mine are thinner and I didn’t know if they would withstand darning, so I sacrificed one pair, to make patches for several others. It has worked surprising well!
7) I get twitchy if I go round to other people’s houses and they have their lights on in the day.
Is it really rude to ‘accidentally’ knock against the light switch and turn them off..?
8) I have small children, and we don’t use baby wipes.
We went cold turkey last year, and haven’t looked back. Good old flannels do the job just as well!
9) If I get a gift or some flowers with ribbon on, I spirit it away to my ribbon box to use again. And I re-use wrapping paper, and also make cards from smaller bits.
10) I have darned my jeans. And it has worked really quite well!
They are now almost reaching the point where the darned bit is getting bigger than the not darned bit, but I can’t face the thought of trawling round the charity shops looking for a ‘new’ pair, so I am persevering for now
Do you have things that you do to save resources.money/waste, that you consider ‘normal’ but that cause other people to raise their eyebrows..?!
Do feel free to share below-we’re all friends here…!!