Those of you have been following the blog for a while, may remember my delight at ‘transforming’ a coat I found in a charity shop, by simply changing the buttons. The coat served me very well last Winter, and has been pressed into service again this year. But it is, well, a little on the
filthy dirty side.
I checked the label and was dismayed to see the instructions “Dry Clean Only”. Bums. I really didn’t want to dry clean it because: a) I really hate all the horrible chemicals they use at the dry cleaners; and b) the cost of dry cleaning it would probably be more than I paid for the coat! So I decided to ask for advice from the lovely, knowledgable bunch in the Make Do and Mend-able Facebook group. We had a great thread going, and the vast majority of people seemed to think it would be fine in the machine, on a wool/handwash cycle, using a gentle detergent. I was also advised to put it in a pillowcase when I washed it. So I gave it a go….
And……. It worked! It was sopping wet when it came out of the machine, as it didn’t really spin it much, so I laid it out flat over the bath to dry: It took about 3 days to dry completely, but I am pleased to report it still fits, and both the outside and the lining seem to have survived. AND the suspected poo is gone!